1 2 3
nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/20/17 11:51 a.m.

The lease on my EV is finally up next spring and I'm already brainstorming what car to replace it with. It needs to be a modern and comfortable daily driver as I'll be commuting in it 40 miles a day in Atlanta traffic, yet I also want something that's fun to drive and competent at an autocross or track day. I have kids, so anything that cannot seat four is out.

What I really wanted was a Jaguar XKR, but I just test-drove one and the rear seats do not fit actual human beings over the age of 8 or carseats of any kind. I was also disappointed to find that the back seats in the new Mustang offer plenty of leg, hip and shoulder room--but no headroom.

Please chime in if you have ever sat in the back seat of any of the following cars and can let us know if they actually fit a small adult-sized human being. Thanks!

• Audi TT RS
  • Bentley Continental GT
  • Chevrolet Camaro (2016+)
  • Maserati GranTurismo
  • Mazda RX-8
  • Nissan GTR
  • Porsche 911 (996)
  • Porsche 911 (997)
  • Subaru BRZ
cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
7/20/17 11:56 a.m.

I have seen full size adults in the back of pilotbraden's RX-8 suprising how much room there was.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/20/17 12:06 p.m.

The Accord Coupe V6/6-speed is currently enjoying its swan song and I have heard that they are extremely commodious in back. They are much quicker cars than most people give them credit for.

STM317
STM317 Dork
7/20/17 12:18 p.m.

Germany probably has a solution for you. BMW 4 series, Mercedes C class coupe, or Audi A/S/RS 5?

If you're considering a Bentley Continental then BMW 6 series or Mercedes CL or S-Class Coupe might be similar.

Or one of those 4 door coupe things that blur the line between traditional sedan and coupe? The Germans seem to love those things with the Audi A7, Benz CLS, BMW Gran Coupe', Porsche Panamera, etc.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/20/17 12:20 p.m.

The Camaro rear seats are pretty good to sit in, getting in and out of them, well that's the not so good part. Headroom is decent, not sure how well taller people fit though.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
7/20/17 12:22 p.m.

I'm 6'2" (32" inseam)and fit in the back seat of my RX-8 with the seat in the position of myself driving. Would I want to be back there for more than two hours, not really but an hour at a time is comfortable enough.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
7/20/17 12:42 p.m.

What about the Challenger? I've always heard they were the roomiest of the 3 and the easiest to live with. The new interiors are also pretty nice and they are more nimble than what you would think.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/20/17 12:44 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: The Camaro rear seats are pretty good to sit in, getting in and out of them, well that's the not so good part. Headroom is decent, not sure how well taller people fit though.

This has been my experience as well.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
7/20/17 12:44 p.m.

Audi TT RS - been in one, bad idea to put an adult there.

Bentley Continental GT - been in one, tight.

Chevrolet Camaro (2016+) - been in one, no problems.

Maserati GranTurismo - no experience.

Mazda RX-8 - owned one, tons of room for real people.

Nissan GTR - been in one, no way.

Porsche 911 (996) - Onwed several. No f'in way. Kids barely fit.

Porsche 911 (997) - nope.

Subaru BRZ - surprisingly a lot of room. I even managed to get a rear-facing child seat behind the driver in mine.

Don't forget the BMW 4/6 - these have TONS of room.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/20/17 12:45 p.m.
NickD wrote: What about the Challenger? I've always heard they were the roomiest of the 3 and the easiest to live with. The new interiors are also pretty nice and they are more nimble than what you would think.

For whatever reason, there's nothing about the Challenger that scratches my itch. I'm starting to see Hellcats on the street almost every day, and while I love the exhaust note, it doesn't make me want one.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/20/17 12:49 p.m.

Thanks Ricky, I appreciate your feedback.

STM317 wrote: Germany probably has a solution for you. BMW 4 series, Mercedes C class coupe, or Audi A/S/RS 5? If you're considering a Bentley Continental then BMW 6 series or Mercedes CL or S-Class Coupe might be similar. Or one of those 4 door coupe things that blur the line between traditional sedan and coupe? The Germans seem to love those things with the Audi A7, Benz CLS, BMW Gran Coupe', Porsche Panamera, etc.

I've owned six BMWs and my Dad has had a couple of Mercs. I really wanted a 'sports car' rather than yet another sports sedan, but I may be drawn back to the dark side. The new Alfa Romeo Giulia also looks like an intriguing option.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/20/17 12:57 p.m.

The Mustang is pretty good as well, probably much like the Camero.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/17 1:00 p.m.

Forget the coupe idea, the FiST is ideal for what you want. Awesome in traffic, awesome autocrosser, great on the track, great daily driver, but still plenty of room for a family and easy to access the back seats. Drive one and you will be convinced...price one and you will buy one!

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
7/20/17 1:11 p.m.

For the BRZ..there is enough legroom, but the front seats are mounted low enough that your feet won't actually fit under the front seats anyway. We tried with my son and it just wouldn't work.

I also wouldn't want to put a full size adult in the back of a 911 for more than a short ride.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
7/20/17 1:21 p.m.

This thread is not helping my irrational want for a V6 RX8 for a fun commuter that can pick up the kids...Although, I suppose I'd settle for one with a V8 if I had to.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/17 1:22 p.m.

Depends what you consider "normal" adults.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/20/17 2:04 p.m.

C'mon, guys, there's only one obvious choice here.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
7/20/17 2:17 p.m.

It seems to me, that it depends almost entirely on how tall the people in the front seat are. For me, being 6'4, there are very few drivers cars, that a person, or even baby seat could fit behind me in. Even many SUV's I have to slide the drivers seat forward to allow the rear passenger some leg room, compromising my own comfort. Fiesta ST? laughable...

NorseDave
NorseDave New Reader
7/20/17 2:21 p.m.

I just want to know what the reaction is when you tell the salesman at the Bentley shop that you're cross-shopping the Continental GT against a BRZ, a Camaro, and a GT-R.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/20/17 2:43 p.m.

2+2 coupes have rarely been about fitting adults in the backseat unless we're talking intermediate and full size domestics of the '60s and '70s. It's just not what they are for. It's why sport sedans have increased in popularity in the modern era and why SUVs and CUVs have increased in popularity since then. Easier to fit growing families and occasionally friends in back. Coupe literally means "Cut" for rear headroom. It's why 4 door coupes are so tiny in the back as well. You're simply going to have to make a compromise for space if you want a sporty coupe.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/20/17 2:52 p.m.

Honda Accord V6 coupe, w/6spd manual.

Done.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/20/17 2:57 p.m.

Should have enough room in the back.

MugenReplica
MugenReplica New Reader
7/20/17 3:12 p.m.

How about 3+1? Not a car for most people, but I'm 6'4" and 239lbs and like the 6'7" journalist in the pic here, I fit fine on the 1 side of my iQs backseat before I swapped seats out. Behind the drive though, good luck fitting anything other than an amputee.

Of course this doesn't help you with how slow it is, how tiny it is for anything other than 3 people, the CVT transmission, and poorer than recorded MPG.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
7/20/17 3:40 p.m.
NorseDave wrote: I just want to know what the reaction is when you tell the salesman at the Bentley shop that you're cross-shopping the Continental GT against a BRZ, a Camaro, and a GT-R.

LOL

I was thinking the same thing. Or the salesman at the Subaru dealer when you ask if they have a CGT you can look at to compare.

What is the budget? Depending on the year of the Bentley/GTR these may also be possibilities.

Aston Martin DB9

Ferrari FF

Ferrari 612

Jag XKR

Audi S5/RS5

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/20/17 4:21 p.m.

I have had people in the back of the FRS, maybe 5 times in five years but only when there was no other choice.

Word from the survivors is that it is not bad once you are in. Getting out is equally traumatic.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fbnD8kXAxeIeRaLBiyHLLNyeW8PIGqdbppO5dvDIxS8LhwLeHnLApydEYINObxcN