1 2 3
nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/20/17 5:09 p.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
NorseDave wrote: I just want to know what the reaction is when you tell the salesman at the Bentley shop that you're cross-shopping the Continental GT against a BRZ, a Camaro, and a GT-R.
LOL I was thinking the same thing. Or the salesman at the Subaru dealer when you ask if they have a CGT you can look at to compare. What is the budget? Depending on the year of the Bentley/GTR these may also be possibilities. Aston Martin DB9 Ferrari FF Ferrari 612 Jag XKR Audi S5/RS5

My starting points were the Jag XKR and new Mustang GT. I'm projecting that next spring I'll have a budget in the ballpark of ~$40K, maybe room to stretch that for a bucket list car.

Philosophically, I'm thinking through "what's the most fun, performance and style can I get for under $45K."

I've already had a number of sports sedans, so I was hoping that I could find a 2+2 to check that box next time round.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/20/17 8:42 p.m.

The only big coupe/GT I've ever owned that had a genuinely usable back seat was the Mercedes-Benz (C124) 300CE. Mine had the 24-valve M104 inline six engine.

The car was beautiful, sleek, and subdued. Wonderful to drive. Great interior. And you hardly ever see them on the road anymore, which makes them feel a little special. You just need to swap Euro headlights: the DOT lights ruin the car.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/20/17 8:49 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: The Camaro rear seats are pretty good to sit in, getting in and out of them, well that's the not so good part. Headroom is decent, not sure how well taller people fit though.

At 6' I sat with my head laying on my shoulder. Longest most painful hour ride of my life.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
7/20/17 10:22 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote: I'm 6'2" (32" inseam)and fit in the back seat of my RX-8 with the seat in the position of myself driving. Would I want to be back there for more than two hours, not really but an hour at a time is comfortable enough.

Same sentiment here. I could probably handle 2 his back there.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/20/17 10:53 p.m.
Aaron_King wrote: Should have enough room in the back.

Ha! I was just about to post this. I've had 2 normal sized adults in the back of the cl600 and they really liked it. Plus the v12 has plenty of ass to haul around all that extra weight. .

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/17 7:55 a.m.

Infiniti G35 coupe is another option. I haven't sat in the back seat of a newer one, but I would think it would be comparable.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
7/21/17 10:50 a.m.

I got a 5'10" adult behind me in my M3 last night.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/23/17 2:52 p.m.

My quest for a new daily driver continues. My short list now includes a couple of sedan-based coupes (BMW M235i & E92 BMW M3)  but I'm still holding out for a 2+2 sports car (Jaguar XK, Mustang & BRZ/FR-S).  

Do any of you guys have first-hand experience with how the two BMWs compare? The Ford and Toy-baru should be pretty inexpensive to own but the XK is so, so pretty. How big a nightmare is it to care and feed for a modern Jag V8?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/23/17 3:40 p.m.

The M3 is much more focused and sharp than the M235i.  The 2 is a nice car, but step up to the M2 if you can, it's worth it.   The V8 in that M3 has one of the best sounds in all of automobiledom.   However, you'll also get about 13mpg in stop and go traffic......

I've just spend the weekend in an Audi A5 2.0T.  Quick, very stylish, super comfy and about a perfect choice for sitting in Atlanta traffic.  It also had a fantastic sound system.   It wasn't as fun as an M-series BMW, but it was creamy smooth and a very pleasant place to spend time.   It also handled well enough to be plenty entertaining.  Not a track car, but a very nice "oasis" at the end of a hard day.  

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/23/17 3:46 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

C'mon, guys, there's only one obvious choice here.

The “Money Care-low”!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/23/17 4:25 p.m.

Totally unrelated to the given list: My two favorite coupe rear seats for tall people were the 95-00 Dodge Avenger/Chrysler Sebring, and the GC Impreza coupe. Both totally livable at my 6'0. 

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/25/17 12:38 a.m.
Trackmouse said:
Tony Sestito said:

C'mon, guys, there's only one obvious choice here.

The “Money Care-low”!

Actually that would be a Pontiac Grand Pricks

HFmaxi
HFmaxi New Reader
10/25/17 7:13 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

Forget the coupe idea, the FiST is ideal for what you want. Awesome in traffic, awesome autocrosser, great on the track, great daily driver, but still plenty of room for a family and easy to access the back seats. Drive one and you will be convinced...price one and you will buy one!

I'll put up another vote for something else. I've got kids, I've had a couple 2 dr cars with real back seats (saab 900 and mk2 golf) and am very happy the two never met. FiST, FoST, a 4 door GTI (I'm sure there's something BMW).... why suffer through 2 doors when there are very nice alternatives?

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/25/17 7:21 a.m.

My sister bought a Mini Cooper in 2009 (not sure which generation that is ... not a Mini Guy!). I’m 6’2” with 34” inseam and about 220 lbs. I fit just fine in the back. Surprisingly roomy. 

It’s a hot hatch, not really a sports car. But you may want to look into them. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/17 9:10 a.m.

it's a shame that Saab is not still around. the original 900 had gobs of back seat room, even the later GM 900s and 9-3 could fit full sized adults in the back.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/25/17 9:30 a.m.

Have you looked at the ATS or ATS-V, depending on your price range?  Same highly praised driving dynamics platform as the new Camaro, coupe or sedan available, more rear space even in coupe form, nicer interior.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
10/25/17 2:47 p.m.

The Mustang convertible with the top up has way more head room then the coupe. And with the top down, unlimited.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/25/17 3:50 p.m.

as an rx8 owner if you are looking to fit adults in the backseat I would just not. Its great for your brief case or a backpack to toss back there, I think a car seat would work nice too with the suicide doors but otherwise forget it.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
10/25/17 6:37 p.m.

Here's what my 3, 5, and 7 year olds looked like in my 996.  The carseat for the youngest wouldn't fit.  Actually the 911 seat was more restraint than his car seat.  I have no idea why Porsche went to the trouble of making back seats (that fold down).  They are actually just a small seat back and a seperate, removable seat cushion on the bottom.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/7/17 11:22 p.m.

Thanks for sharing the photo!  I recently tried out the back seat in a 996 I test drove.  I'm a small guy, and with the front seat adjusted to fit me I could actually fit in the back seat behind it... with my head cocked to the side. I wouldn't want to spend more than a few minutes like that, but could make it work in a pinch.  Good thing my kids are all smaller than me.  Have you ever strapped in a kid's carseat in the front or the back of your 911?

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
11/7/17 11:27 p.m.

I think if you want to stick with two door, Accord Coupe is your answer. 

It  isn't a two door coupe (more of two door hatch) but what about two door GTI?

I say go four door and go either WRX or GTI or even Golf R or R32..

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/8/17 2:18 a.m.
Driven5 said:

Have you looked at the ATS or ATS-V, depending on your price range?  Same highly praised driving dynamics platform as the new Camaro, coupe or sedan available, more rear space even in coupe form, nicer interior.

This.  The roofline of the ATS coupe allows more room for backseat passengers over the Camaro, and the handling is phenomenal.  You can even get the 2.0 turbo with a 6 speed manual.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/17 6:46 a.m.
nderwater said:

Thanks for sharing the photo!  I recently tried out the back seat in a 996 I test drove.  I'm a small guy, and with the front seat adjusted to fit me I could actually fit in the back seat behind it... with my head cocked to the side. I wouldn't want to spend more than a few minutes like that, but could make it work in a pinch.  Good thing my kids are all smaller than me.  Have you ever strapped in a kid's carseat in the front or the back of your 911?

I didn't buy a 996 because my 5 year old son couldn't stand the backseat without a booster seat. The booster seat wouldn't fit at all. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/8/17 9:50 a.m.

Also comes in 4-door, also has an option for AWD.  Same chassis as the Camaro, so you can get an AWD camaro...

Cadillac ATS   (also available in V for the spendy types)

For some reason, despite not being a GM fan, I have been thinking about these a lot as a replacement DD.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
11/8/17 10:03 a.m.
nderwater said:

Have you ever strapped in a kid's carseat in the front or the back of your 911?

Car seats and booster seats do not fit in the back of a 911.  The 911 rear seat is smaller than a car seat and about the same size as a booster.  If the front seat is all the way back, it’s not more than and inch or two from the back seat. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fYpnZ12x2SebeSsnY1fXpnlSfCRonaVjEiBWuvgAMmmVqIAfPKyQyOXlWvJub3ro