1 ... 3 4 5 6
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/2/12 11:35 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Have you driven a Prius C yet? Handles a ton better than a standard Prius. I looked at them when I ended up with my Honda Fit.

No, I have not.

I had a couple of problems with the Prius.

First off, I thought it did what it was designed to do exceptionally well- commute, and have incredible fuel economy.

It didn't corner well. That could be fixed with suspension- maybe the C.

I found the passenger compartment too big. I know, that's weird. But the space around me as the driver was enough to make me feel like I was loose and not securely tucked in. Seat that didn't hold snug, too much space to the dash, center console too far from my leg, etc.

I also think it is the wrong image from a sales perspective. It pushes the perspective to "cheap, arrogant, and trying to prove a green point", instead of "sensible, and practical with a conscious and a concern for quality".

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
10/2/12 11:48 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Then I would highly recommend checking out the C. Its based on a stretched Yaris platform, not the standard prius chassis. Still a hatchback, but more conventionally styled. Its a little underpowered, but that describes a lot of hybrids.

I test drove a Prius C Two, it wasn't a sports car, but it handled curves pretty well. The One doesn't have cruise control, so I'd consider the Two to be the lowest model to look at. The Four has bigger wheels, but I'm not sure if there are any suspension upgrades to go with it. I'd skip it anyway, as they make the turning radius a lot larger.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/2/12 11:56 a.m.

OK, I'll check out a C.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/2/12 11:59 a.m.

Diesel Miata.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/12 12:30 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Don't worry. It wasn't lost in the mix.

Like has been said, it's a good question to need an answer to and good luck with the business especially!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/2/12 12:35 p.m.
SVreX wrote: It pushes the perspective to "cheap, arrogant, and trying to prove a green point", instead of "sensible, and practical with a conscious and a concern for quality".

So something like 92Celica's MX6 should work perfectly then.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/2/12 3:44 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Diesel Miata.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
10/2/12 6:30 p.m.

I have driven a Prius c, I thought it was horrible. Way too slow, unimpressive handling, weird braking and throttle response due to the computers (you can actually push the brake pedal to the floor with no resistance when it's turned off). I hated it though.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
10/2/12 6:51 p.m.

Any volvo (yuppies love swedish cars, too bad about the SAAB thing you can pick them up for next to nothing now!)

Baser 3-5 BMW's

CX-5 is a big mazda 3 and worth a look

Older Acura TSX's are just plain clean as hell and still look new today

jstand
jstand Reader
10/2/12 7:25 p.m.

Not a corner carver, but an Elantra coupe can be had with 6 Spd manual along with leather, sunroof, and gets good mpg. Sticker is about $19K.

Might fit the bill for being comfortable and not alienate clients.

How about the Genesis? Could be fun...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/12 10:07 p.m.

I'd say a 2002-2008 Mazda 6 with the 6 cylinder and stick.

If you're looking for an American Car, a Cobalt SS or maybe a Focus SVT?

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
10/2/12 11:30 p.m.
SVreX wrote: OK, I'll check out a C.

Objectively the worst car Ive ever driven. Google reno news and review ben garrido prius for my article on precisely the kinds of cars you are considering. Smartphone doesnt like links, sorry.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
10/3/12 2:21 a.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
Objectively the worst car Ive ever driven. Google reno news and review ben garrido prius for my article on precisely the kinds of cars you are considering. Smartphone doesnt like links, sorry.

I agree completely, it is so amazingly horrible that I cant believe that someone actually thought it should be sold the way it is. I think its the only car that i can say I actually hate.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
10/3/12 4:15 a.m.

As I recall, GRM hated the Prius C as well. I think it's too econoboxy for the desired image anyway.

I really like the Subaru suggestion and was leaning toward the same thing. A Legacy Spec B with a stick would be a really interesting option if you could find one - amazing on a mountain road and totally non-offensive to the average person, without being too bland or cheap.

What about a non-M 3- or 5-series? I don't know what kind of budget you're looking at, but the last few generations of BMW have had some great performance cars. Recent/current 3-series with the M-Sport package, maybe? Possibly even the 328 instead of the 335?

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/3/12 4:43 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Didn't realize there was a new VW plant close.

I'm late to the discussion (which means I should probably keep my mouth shut) but yes, there's a VW plant in Chattanooga. I took a few pictures the last time I was in that area. (before the security guard chased us off the property for taking pictures)

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
10/3/12 10:04 a.m.

Focus ST, any Subaru, TDI VW, Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper if they can hold enough passengers?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/3/12 11:13 a.m.

Hmm, a legacy wagon of this vintage w/ a few appropriate spec B bits sounds enticing.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/12 3:29 p.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote:

Yeah, my checking it out started with an internet search. Only available with a CVT? No manual? I'm done.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/12 3:34 p.m.
Joshua wrote: Focus ST, any Subaru, TDI VW, Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper if they can hold enough passengers?

I think that is my A list, except for the Fiat (I dig it, but too cutsie for customers).

A lot of good ideas in this thread.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/3/12 3:40 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Joshua wrote: Focus ST, any Subaru, TDI VW, Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper if they can hold enough passengers?
I think that is my A list, except for the Fiat (I dig it, but too cutsie for customers).

Then Abarth. They will know it isn't cutsie when it starts...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/3/12 4:08 p.m.

Are you hauling passengers constantly or occasionally? How many? What shape and size? What demographic? What kind of weather? Etc...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/12 6:40 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Are you hauling passengers constantly or occasionally? How many?

Single passenger regularly. Customer occasionally, quantity unknown, but probably not more than the capacity of the car.

MrJoshua wrote: What shape and size? What demographic?

Whatever shape and size a customer comes in. Demographic- covered earlier.

MrJoshua wrote: What kind of weather? Etc...

Weather? Weather? I've never been asked about the weather before when I was buying a car. I think the car should be quite weather resistant. Perhaps you meant climate- north GA. Snows sometimes. It won't be a sunny day car. It will be a daily commuter on hilly roads with 100 switchbacks per day. I will drive it every day, except for a few when I get snowed in. So, it won't be wearing racing slicks, it will need to be driven in the rain, and I'm not sure what particular kinds of weather certain demographics like or dislike.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/3/12 6:57 p.m.

Is the enjoyment of your commute more important or you customers comfort? If you are thinking customer first you have pretty much ruled out 2 doors and absolutely ruled out 2 seaters. If your customers are ever heavy you have ruled out anything below midsize. Unless you are a Redbull girl I don't think a MINI is an appropriate sales car.

I guess you could look at it from another angle: do you see the same customers more than once? If so you could be the sales guy with the cool cars. Bring your Ranchero for certain customers, a Mini for others, a 911 for others. Riding in something new and cool will make people forget about being uncomfortable.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/12 7:37 p.m.

Oh. Gotcha.

Don't intend to be ferrying customers much. Happens occasionally. This is about enjoying the commute, and having a vehicle that has an appearance from the outside that is professional and adds to the image appropriate to the product we are selling.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/3/12 9:03 p.m.

CTS-V?

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ddEmHGfUNEM8t1wHX9NKa1iGMmLbYG0fDywJunhR8HoiRCPmA6XzkWK3nAiUeQh1