1 2 3 ... 6
stroker
stroker UltraDork
6/20/18 9:54 a.m.

I'm not talking "win the lottery and spend a zillion $" type car.   Given your current life and resources, what car would you like to build if you had the chance and what would you want to do with it?

I'd like to acquire a fairly clean 914 rolling chassis and put a reverse-rotation Corvair engine in it.   I can't afford the maintenance of a full-on race car with a built engine requiring frequent rebuilds nor can I afford a car that consumes tires and other consumables like Pez candies.   I figure a poor man's 906/908 sort of thing with the sound of a flat six and air cooling would be pretty neat.   My understanding is the Corvair engine can be run reliably if you don't mod the hell out of it.  The parts for both the car and engine are still supported in the aftermarket and I'd love to run some Champcar races with it...  

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/20/18 10:02 a.m.

I would start with my current 92 mustang and put on all the stuff that is sitting on the shelf in my garage.  That is Koni DA coilovers, MM torque arm and front A arms, one complete 306 aluminum head engine, track wheels and tires, aluminum flywheel, etc.  Run it in any events in whatever class it ends up in just for fun.

Then go to as many HDPE as my budget and time allow.

The Million dollar route.

Start with a BMW Z8, then make it more awesome with boost and classy big wheels and tires.  While I'm dreaming I would park it next to my stock 507.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/20/18 10:18 a.m.

I've drifted away from big engine swaps (just too much time and effort for not enough gain) and right now I'll be ecstatic when I actually finish the projects I currently have:

#1 - '79 Spitfire with a freshly rebuilt 1500 and a few other  changes.  GT6 front brakes and rear suspension with a CV conversion. 

#2 - '72 GT6 - T-9 5 spd conversion, freshened engine, A/C installation, freshened up interior. 

When those two are done I hope to start on #3 - my '73 Volvo 1800ES.  Rebuilt B20, T-9 conversion, custom interior.  That should keep me busy for years...

If I still have any life left in me after that, I'm hoping to build an Abarth SP2000 once Kreb gets that project finished.

Somewhere during all of this, I have to renovate/rebuild my house, finish/fix my 2003 TDI, maybe do a camper van conversion, along with an unknown number of other non-car projects.

Time and space are my main limitations at the moment..

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
6/20/18 10:24 a.m.

A Lotus 7 clone, LoCost, Westfield, etc.  I've wanted one since I saw one at an autox about 10 years ago.  I got to drive a friend's Toyota powered Westfield at an autox this year and I loved it.

Or, sentimentally, finish the Opel GT that my dad began in 1980 as a resto-mod. 

Alas, I don't have a garage.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
6/20/18 10:27 a.m.

In no particular priority order

• a LNF powered miata using an AR-5 trans with 350+ whp
  • a 2.0 caddillac ats stealing parts from the camaros and competing in one lap
  • a musclevan combination tow vehicle and almost pro touring van
  • some sort of pro touring style car that is a little off the wall
pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/20/18 10:29 a.m.

Another '74 or earlier V6 Ford Capri.  Here's what I'd like to do;

Replace front suspension with SN95 hardware so the front swaybar isn't asked to do lateral location of the control arms, move the car to five lug bolts, and a big improvement in front brakes.  Proper location of the control arm mounting point should help minimize bump steer, right?

Replace the rear axle with a 7.5" SN95 part and add a limited slip which also brings five lug bolts and an improvement in rear brakes.  Figure out something with the rear suspension, maybe a custom split-mono leaf rear in place of the factory leaf pack and something like a torque arm to control axle wrap.

Swap transmission for a T-5.  EFI and distributorless ignition controlled by Megasquirt.  Electric fans.  Vintage Air or similar A/C solution.  Probably do a complete re-wiring of the car and upgrade the alternator at the same time.  

Sounds like a year-long project so it would probably take two, easy.    

Oh, wait, this was supposed to be doable with current life and resources.  In that case, just maintain my Suzuki, sell my motorcycle to scrappers, and buy a Z900RS.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/20/18 10:42 a.m.

I want to build a big gnarly adventure motorhome so I can take Mrs. Deuce on adventures with me. In truth, it's not the lack of a big gnarly adventure motorhome that's keeping us from running away on adventures, it's the crazy pace of life/parenting. Building a car to spend more time with my wife is actually counterproductive. 

Aside from that, I want a Motec ECU for the Accord so I can add booooost. LSD, some aero, go drive the poop out of it. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/18 10:44 a.m.

Honestly want to put an RB26dett into my belair with a 5 speed manual.  Chances are Higher that i would do a turbo LS swap just because of price

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/20/18 10:51 a.m.

NC Miata + built 2.5 swap.

Profit.

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
6/20/18 10:52 a.m.

1. FFR 818C, with a Subaru 2.5T.

2. 30s Chevy rat rod truck with an 8-turbo big block.

3. Mercedes S600 V12.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
6/20/18 10:53 a.m.

Lotus 7 clone with a turbocharged 2zz-ge.

Or get moving on my RX-3 whatever.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/20/18 10:55 a.m.

Other than my current Trans Am project, I have a few in mind:

80's Ford LTD Wagon

They are Fox chassis cars, so building one with a warmed 5.0 and some suspension mods should be fairly straightforward. 

1980's Dodge Pickup

I want one of these BAD. 2WD, 4WD, SWB or long bed... it doesn't matter as long as it's not rusty. I wouldn't mind doing a Slant 6 Turbo, but a warmed over 318/360 would also be fine. 

Late 70's K5 Blazer or Jimmy

I have always loved the K5, and have wanted one for years. The late 70's styling is my favorite. I almost snagged one a few months back on the super cheap, but I missed out on it by a couple hours, and it still stings. This would be my "convertible". 

Mid 80's 300ZX

One of these would make a cool cruiser. Doesn't even need to be a turbo car. Some guy on my way to work recently trotted out an ice blue '85ish 300ZX for the warm weather, and it just looks like a ton of fun. I'd also take a 200SX SE V6, which would also rule. 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
6/20/18 10:56 a.m.

I want a mid 70s super beetle (should've never sold my 73) build a high strung 1776 with a carb throat for each hole, good heads, a rather silly cam, strong freeway trans (overdriven 4th, make 3rd WORK dammit), disc brakes everywhere, try to balance the car better (maybe fiberglass rear fenders and decklid), and empty my bank account on the suspension. Like a wannabe 914 but cheaper and, dare I say, better looking. (Runs and hides)

I've been dreaming about doing this for a couple years now and my fascination with light small cars just makes it worse. That and I have ACVW in my blood.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/18 10:57 a.m.

ha. what car would I like to build. I'd start with the 4 projects in my garage currently....

But seriously, here is my list as of 6/20/18*

1. finish fiat x1/9 + gsxr challenge build

2. finish mgb-gt with miata motor swap

3. make the saab trucklet more awesome

4. prep the XJR for something like One Lap or Power Tour

5. Get a big 60-70s american family convertible and re-power with electric, low and slow and silent, baby!

6. build a wooden-bodied miata that resembles an AH 3000

7. build a locost or mid-lana or SP1000 (if I can buy some body parts from a certain member here)

*Subject to change at any time at sole discretion of me. I will not be held responsible for any discontent, disappointment, loss, heartburn, homesickness, upset stomach, dementia or any other side-effect from revisions to the above. Cancellation, re-schedule, rain check, and delay refunds will not be applied.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
6/20/18 11:00 a.m.

1962 Pontiac Bonneville 'vert with any late model LS swap + 6 speed auto, modern wheels/tires/brakes.  Everything else as stock as possible. 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/18 11:03 a.m.

Scratchbuilt Mark 1 GT40 in gulf colors.  289 mated to a Porsche G50.  8-pack fuel injected ITB's that look like old webers and home made 180deg headers.

I already have blueprints for the space framedevil

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
6/20/18 11:06 a.m.

Vintage (late 50's) sports racer bodied Locost: Already started, but if I'm honest with myself, I probably won't resume working on it for another year or so.. Currently slated for a Duratec 2.0L, but...

DIY LS based V4 engine: Because it's so crazy, it just might work.

There are no automotive projects I desire to build more than these two, and fortunately, I have no reason to believe I won't be successful in doing so...Given enough time.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
6/20/18 11:24 a.m.

I'd like to swap a Daewoo straight six  into an NB Miata, maybe add a supercharger and fabricate a steel fastback roof.  Voila , a nice GT.  The engine is a transverse straight six, so relatively short and it's an aluminum block and head.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/18 11:28 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:

I'd like to swap a Daewoo straight six  into an NB Miata, maybe add a supercharger and fabricate a steel fastback roof.  Voila , a nice GT.  The engine is a transverse straight six, so relatively short and it's an aluminum block and head.

oooooh, I forgot about the daewoo straight six. Maybe I'll have to add an x1/9 or gen 1 mr2 to my list with a straight 6...

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/20/18 11:29 a.m.

I think I'm back to wanting a nice sorta pro touringish G-body. Preferably a Grand Prix. 

But the want to go rally crossing is strong too. Something small and rwd for that.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/18 11:32 a.m.

another V8 Vair, but with modern components

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/20/18 11:32 a.m.

A guy in Vermont has been trying to sell two mid-1950s Brockway trucks for quite a while now.  One has a cab, nose, hood, fenders, etc., the second is just a frame with a running engine; both are duallies.  I want to make a one ton, dually, stripped out, slammed version of an American Underslung  or ALF Speedster.   19 feet long.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/20/18 11:36 a.m.

Finish my zephyr wagon with paint and a mild 302. Then finally find another 73-79 f100 and just clean it up and use it too tow the zephyr when needed. If money wasn't an issue the zephyr would be a 460/c6 combo because I've always wanted a big block foxbody. 

There's alot more I'd like to have but these 2 are the realistic ones for now. Maybe after the kids are grown I'll finally track down some 30s era Ford sheet metal or a falcon wagon.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/18 11:39 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

You basically described why I’m building my STS Miata. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/18 11:40 a.m.

Custom mid-engined (Edit: More like well-balanced!) dual-powertrain electric sports car:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-next-project-very-early-planning-stage-homebui/119159/page1/

For street and track enjoyment.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ejkqAWoOnR2id3sjTvPbTn8Lp7ypLUv7UaROpIKw6qeE2wrF4CFudGrL8H5tqx7R