1 2
fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
10/10/10 8:57 p.m.

Yeah, Boxsters have scared me off. I am mainly looking for 90's era cars and a few of the early 996's nowadays. I would prefer in some ways an air-cooled car that I could work on myself but the best values seem to be in 996's.
I also took a look at early Lotus Elise's but they have retained their value incredibly.
Any other ideas?

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
10/22/10 7:35 p.m.

the final solution and decision: 2005 Lotus Elise I found a good deal and in the end was just much more comfortable with its Japanese based reliability.
Let the fun begin with a Dragon run tomorrow morning!

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
10/22/10 7:41 p.m.

Pix or it didn't happen!

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
10/23/10 2:24 a.m.

In reply to Capt Slow: What he said.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
10/23/10 6:10 a.m.

Superb choice. Pics request, thirded!

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
10/23/10 8:44 a.m.

What, no Porsche? Well, I can't really fault your choice - those are fun little go-carts.

My birth year car:

Yes, I'm old.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
10/23/10 9:53 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: My birth year car! (912 BTW) The Boxter may lack some soul, but for $20K you are getting something that took a huge depreciation hit, but is new enough to be dead-nuts reliable. Good luck buying a $20K 911 of any year and running it for a year without putting another dime into it. (See the GRM story.) If you are set on a 911 though, then nothing else is going to scratch that itch so go for it!

Gotta disagree. While the Boxster is certainly a bargain, it is far from "dead-nuts reliable". The early ones especially, had all sorts of serious issues. An 84 Carrera or a well maintained SC on the other hand is very reliable, will retain its value and they routinely go well over 200k without major issues.

RoadRacer78
RoadRacer78 New Reader
10/23/10 8:22 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: My birth year car:

Mine......and I would be plenty happy with it.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
10/23/10 11:20 p.m.

I spent the day replacing the heater core in the miata(collateral damage from the head swap) but I will try to get some pics taken sunday. Finally got my wife to ride in the Elise today as we went to the UTvsAla game. It was fun watching her try to get out of the car.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
10/23/10 11:43 p.m.

Link to the Porsche made in my birth year. I'm less than impressed with the selection.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
10/25/10 7:29 a.m.

So far I have failed tech and been unable to upload the pic to anything but my avatar. However you can see it there or on my facebook(thanks to Debbie).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D0Kn7ku4iBhJA5bUdM3nChYgZaNk2J9Kk8BYBrGkQVEWUOFBB9cgcHNrlxWeY2Vq