1 2 3 4
Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/22/23 5:18 p.m.

The Abarth 1000 OTR was built to be homologated for a specific race class. Delays in homologation and the fact that the class was cancelled in 1965 meant that 35 were made and sold for road use in 1966

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
1/22/23 5:38 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

2014 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet Review & Ratings | Edmunds

There were 6000 of these made

That's like, 7,000 too many. Makes the Aztek look beautiful in comparison. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/22/23 7:03 p.m.
90BuickCentury said:
ProDarwin said:

2014 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet Review & Ratings | Edmunds

There were 6000 of these made

That's like, 7,000 too many. Makes the Aztek look beautiful in comparison. 

So these things are seen in socal every couple days so they are still out there. 

I have seen one single Evoke convertible in socal in my life.  I have seen more F1s in the road then that. It has to be the lowest large manufacturer produce variant that I am around. Worst of all I actually want one. I love the idea of them. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/23 7:23 p.m.
Javelin said:

2004-2006 Pontiac GTO was really short for a mainstream manufacturer. 

1987-88 Ford Thunderbird was a super short MAJOR refresh (all new sheet metal less the hood).

1989 Fiero?

Redesigned bodywork, redesigned suspension instead of half a Chevette and half a Citation, and immediately canceled.

GM has a long history of making something the way they should have right before axing it.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/23 7:43 p.m.

I'll submit the 1930 Mercedes-Benz 710 SSK Trossi Roadster.

Based on a production car, but tweaked a bit back when the factory would actually do that kind of thing for the correct sum of money.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
1/22/23 7:51 p.m.

Another one I've  caught was an AMX Concord Sundancer then, 1 of about 200

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
1/22/23 7:58 p.m.

There were around 48 Tuckers

1983 Corvette. There's 3-ish of them.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/22/23 7:58 p.m.

Under what rules did Carol Shelby race the Shelby Daytona Coupe? My local Simonsons gas station owner licensed this one of six total and drove it around North Dakota in order to pick up his gas stations receipts throughout ND. I saw it parked outside of his station in my home town when I was like 12 and wasn't allowed to cross Broadway on my Schwinn Sting Ray Bike but I did anyway and gawked at that car for over an hour. Maybe back in 1967-68. laugh

"The Daytona Cobra Coupe was also licensed for the road, however–at one point the CSX2601 car was owned by a North Dakota businessman who, perhaps appropriately, owned a string of gas stations. He used the car to drive the daily 300-mile trip to collect receipts."

Just imagine how this car would handle if it had a proper splitter on it?

1965 Shelby Daytona Coupe Sells For Record $7.25 Million

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/23 8:00 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Javelin said:

2004-2006 Pontiac GTO was really short for a mainstream manufacturer. 

1987-88 Ford Thunderbird was a super short MAJOR refresh (all new sheet metal less the hood).

1989 Fiero?

Redesigned bodywork, redesigned suspension instead of half a Chevette and half a Citation, and immediately canceled.

GM has a long history of making something the way they should have right before axing it.

Right?!? GM is the king of this. 89 Fiero, 04-06 GTO, Cadillac Blackwing, Solstice Coupe, G8 GXP, Chevy SS, SSR, H2T (or was it 3T?), etc

Javelin
1/22/23 8:24 p.m.

Two non GMs came to mind:

Suzuki Kizashi and SAAB 9-5

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/22/23 8:29 p.m.
j_tso said:

Jaguar XKSS is narrowly a production car.

16 made before a factory fire.

That's the ones made before the fire.  Most of the rest of those burned up.  
 But the XKE light weights only 12 were originally made. 
  The XK120 L  3 were made as a stop gap in case the C type wasn't ready for LeMans. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/23 8:29 p.m.
Javelin said:

I thought GM owned Suzuki and SAAB.

I actually saw a 9-4 in the shop.  It needed wiper blades and it was some odd fitment that only dealers stocked.  In 2016.

Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Javelin said:

GM bought 5% of Suzuki in the early 80's. Their ownership stake varied up and down over the years, and peaked at 20% in the early 2000's. I believe they currently own 3%.

Didn't GM sell SAAB to the Chinese during the final death throes?

Javelin
1/22/23 9:30 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

The Chinese own Volvo, who they got from Ford. SAAB is dead. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
1/22/23 9:39 p.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Javelin said:

GM bought 5% of Suzuki in the early 80's. Their ownership stake varied up and down over the years, and peaked at 20% in the early 2000's. I believe they currently own 3%.

yup to make electric saabs.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEVS_9-3EV

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
1/23/23 1:21 a.m.
Trent said:

The Abarth 1000 OTR was built to be homologated for a specific race class. Delays in homologation and the fact that the class was cancelled in 1965 meant that 35 were made and sold for road use in 1966

My dad had the 1300 version of this as a daily driver when they were new.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
1/23/23 1:25 a.m.

Maserati Quattroporte II is another one that probably belongs on the list, they only made a few of those but they did sell them and they occasionally come up for sale.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
1/23/23 7:56 a.m.

For actual mainstream production cars: 

1972 Ford Gran Torino.  One year only. 

For cars made for homologation purposes, in the 60s, Porsche had production runs lasting months with fewer than 25 of some models produced.

Porsche 910

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/23/23 9:47 a.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Javelin said:

SAAB Aerospace and defense is still around though. Recently interviewed for a position with them. They don't require you to own a Saab to work there either. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/23/23 9:52 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

The Chinese own Volvo, who they got from Ford. SAAB is dead. 

Geely owns Volvo and either owns or has stake in these prominent brands now: Lotus, London Electric Vehicle Company, Smart, Polestar (obviously with Volvo), and Proton. They are also diving into joint ventures with Daimler on various things. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/23/23 10:11 a.m.

Yup, Pontiac Solstice coupe. Came out in Spring of 2009 and was canned by the Fall.  I bought mine new and had to explain to She-who-must-be-obeyed why it was a good idea to buy a car that had just been cancelled.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
1/23/23 10:12 a.m.

as someone who comes from mass production automotive career its funny to see what other people consider "production" and what is more likely coach-built. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/23 10:52 a.m.

For the last gen SAAB 9-5, they made just under 12,000 with just over 3,400 imported to the US.  Looks like mine is one of 87.  The 9-4 has the least, something like 800 made before the end.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/23 11:42 a.m.

While Pontiac only sold 20 in 2010, they did move about 6000 in 2009. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/23/23 11:50 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

A friend has a Borrego, so yes I've heard of them. He likes it, but parts availability is becoming a problem. I saw him last week and he told a tale of the instrument cluster failing. His local guy couldn't figure it out, so he took it to Kia and the part is NLA. He found a used one from a yard in the mid-west (for all of $100), and the dealer actually installed it and programmed it (something I understand dealers rarely do). 

He has enough room so I told him he should buy used ones he finds and break them down for spare parts... 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u34bbnrvq0BjvcEoYEhAmbopLPAarPHd6oHgRICDI7KOyLclChYhtS3yQXK4W9AY