1 2 3
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/22 2:44 p.m.

Currently our "fun" car is a 96 Miata. I bought it 7 years ago and in that time I've done all the normal maintainence items. It was totaled early in it's life but I was paid out more than I paid for it.  Did a redneck rebuild and it's a 20 footer.  Only big items added are a hardtop, coilovers (yet to be put on), wheels, and tires. I smile every time I drive it.

So I want more. Driving Michael's Miata a couple of Challenges ago showed me how much fun could be had with 200hp.  And if 200hp is fun then more horsepower should be more fun. So I've been kind of looking for a replacement. Passed on a turbo NB that I shouldn't have. Tried to convince Dean to sell me his 951 because a 944 is up there on wants. Semi looking for a nice optioned 951 roller to do a turbo 07k swap on.  I seriously considered bidding on the FM M edition until it went way past my $22k limit for that car.

What I want is a nimble car like the Miata but more kick in the ass so that I'll lose my licence. Don't really have a budget. 10k all in sounds good but that 22k above isn't out of line for a truly special car. C5s don't really do it for me as I look bad in gold chains. What should I look for our should I just do a simple turbo kit on my 96 and smile more?

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
1/23/22 2:52 p.m.

My first thought is a turbo kit, I've ridden shotgun in a ~ 250 whp turbo NB and it was truly a riot.. also I don't think a turbo kit is heavy enough to truly spoil the balance of the car like some engine swaps would. Also keep in mind I believe there are fully realized K swap kits available for your car, so you could get above 200 hp n/a with relative ease. Also for 22k you might be able to find an E46 M3.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/23/22 3:00 p.m.

Honestly, stampie, if i had to do it all over again id do a six speed and roots blower on a 1.8 car. The thing that brings the joy in my car is the instant torque. Its legitimate 150tq 150hp at the wheels. More torque with better gearing would make it a pleasure. 

Id say use the na. Its paid for, and a good known quality. A good supercharger kit, maybe some blower spec cams. See what you think. I loved my six speed car, but the gearing may be better for a five with you.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/22 3:20 p.m.

You already have The Answer. We had an NB and it was a fun car that could have used some more power.

Me? I don't like convertibles and like something different.

I am a huge fan of 944 07Ks, but one skinned in an Opel body...Oh My! Turbo and an 01E 6spd transaxle. Per the wife budget be damned.

What about something similar?

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/23/22 3:29 p.m.

I regret not turbocharging my minty 1993 Miata. Sold it in 2013 for $3800. That car was awesome and I've been chasing the fun of that car since then. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/22 3:41 p.m.

I'm in the hot rod the car you've got camp.  I get attached to cars.  When I have a car that makes me happy but I want it to do more of something I modify it. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/23/22 3:49 p.m.

That's my approach as well. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
1/23/22 4:06 p.m.

At this point I don't think you're going to get a functional 944 turbo for under $10k, and you almost certainly can't do a decent 07k (or any) swap for $20k all in.

Stampie
1/23/22 4:14 p.m.

Ok y'all've confirmed my thoughts. After posting the question I said well if I sell the NA I could put that money towards a 944.  Then I questioned if I could actually sell the NA.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/23/22 4:42 p.m.

LS swap the Miata. May or may not fit the budget but it will scratch any car itch that an automotive enthusiast might have.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/23/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Even with a rebuilt title, you could move it. Miata are fetching positively dumb money right now. If I wasn't supposed to be behaving myself I'd try and talk you into selling it to me, and convince you to buy the same thing klayfish just bought. Boxster are a lot more fun than I suspected they would be. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/23/22 5:04 p.m.

Boxster.

Boxster S if the budget allows.

Turbo or supercharger current car and smile. 

Stampie
1/23/22 6:27 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Stampie :

Even with a rebuilt title, you could move it. Miata are fetching positively dumb money right now. If I wasn't supposed to be behaving myself I'd try and talk you into selling it to me, and convince you to buy the same thing klayfish just bought. Boxster are a lot more fun than I suspected they would be. 

I'm sorry I worded that wrong.  I should have said I'm not sure I could bring myself to sell it even if I got another replacement. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/22 6:33 p.m.

I picked up an AW11 MR2 as a challenge car.  With a 2ZZ, K swap, or 3SGTE swap it'd be a go kart on steroids.  The shifter is cable so it's not nearly as good as a Miata, but it feels even more go kart like.  It's a car you wear like a suit.  The 2ZZ and K24 are lighter than the stock engine.  The manual steering offers great feel too.  

The 951 is fun, but it has all the 944 problems too.  They are very much an acquired taste.  A Miata or MR2 is way easier to keep on the road.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/23/22 6:42 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That I understand

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
1/23/22 6:45 p.m.

You should try to replicate NickD's supercharged Miata.  The blue one with purple roll bar.

I've been drooling over that one for years

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
1/23/22 6:47 p.m.

This one:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/12938/

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/22 7:17 p.m.
Toot
Toot New Reader
1/23/22 8:44 p.m.

Keep your na, buy a rotrex supercharger, ecu, etc.   268hp at wheels at 15lbs.  Done.  Beats my wifes fully prepared cayman s every time at Sebring. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/22 8:50 p.m.

If I were the one making the choice, I know what I would do. I wouldn't even consider the other suggestions. 
Here's the link so you can get started right now. 

Flyin Miata NA8 turbo kit

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/23/22 8:58 p.m.

I could always sell you a "lightly used" 2005 Acura TL

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/23/22 9:23 p.m.

Miata, dude, Miata. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/23/22 9:56 p.m.

Stick with the Miata. 230-250hp and 180-200tq makes it a lot of fun. Especially with the with a blower making most of that down low in the rev range.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/23/22 10:07 p.m.

This. Rebello is the answer.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3rAPiSZTJcbQV9W62CdA0ULsbk872KKSeyptDbSSJ87yl4IX68q6RRPEWpMka9ay