1 2 3 ... 5
Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/22 5:03 p.m.

Singer makes bespoke Porsches out of 1989-1994 model year 911s. What other car would you want someone to do this sort of thing to?

I was thinking maybe the C6 Corvette Z06, but that's mainly because the interiors are so dull. Decent chassis though to start with and the body is a classic.

Maybe the FD RX-7, the body is a work of art, the chassis is great, the interior is average and the powertrain is flawed.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/13/22 5:06 p.m.

Hillman Imp.  No, not joking.  I guarantee they'd sell at least one, assuming I've won the lotto by then.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/22 5:08 p.m.

1991 Honda CRX Si. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/13/22 6:07 p.m.

BMW 320i

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/22 6:12 p.m.

Early mustang

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/13/22 6:18 p.m.

MGBs, because it is a virgin market and there is a lot of underappreciated blank canvas out there. Of course, you also need to be a visionary and marketing genius like Singer. I think his cars are crap.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/13/22 6:22 p.m.
NOHOME said:
... Singer. I think his cars are crap.

LOL

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/13/22 6:42 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Of course, you also need to be a visionary and marketing genius like Singer. I think his cars are crap.

I really like Singer cars for how subtle the changes are from a stock 1973 RS .

just all the small things , the material used for the interior panels and seats , etc, plus a big 4 liter motor :)

YES its way over my budget , but I am not the customer they are aiming for.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/13/22 6:50 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:
NOHOME said:

Of course, you also need to be a visionary and marketing genius like Singer. I think his cars are crap.

I really like Singer cars for how subtle the changes are from a stock 1973 RS .

just all the small things , the material used for the interior panels and seats , etc, plus a big 4 liter motor :)

YES its way over my budget , but I am not the customer they are aiming for.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I think his art is great. I think his CARS are crap. I doubt that his engineering skills exceed those of porsche engineers and manufacturing. I could of course be wrong.

The question was "What well known under appreciated car is out there that would be a good canvas for my auto-art that I could subsequently sell for a lot of $$$?"

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
6/13/22 6:59 p.m.
Harvey said:

I was thinking maybe the C6 Corvette Z06, but that's mainly because the interiors are so dull. Decent chassis though to start with and the body is a classic.

Thinking along the same lines, Aston Martin DB7. Give the V12 or straight 6 some fettling and a bespoke interior instead of the parts bin hodgepodge.

Plus Miata owners get some fancy door handles!

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
6/13/22 7:33 p.m.
SEADave
SEADave Dork
6/13/22 7:46 p.m.

Some man of great vision may have asked this question before....

"What car deserves the "Singer" treatment" 

In any case, with regard to the MGB, Frontline in the UK is doing good work, and there are a couple companies stateside that are trying to reach that level.    

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/22 7:51 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Are you confusing Magnus Walker with Singer maybe? 

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
6/13/22 7:56 p.m.

Old station wagons.

Wait, hear me out:

Body on frame, front engine, rear wheel drive, they share tons of suspension, body, and interior parts with classic musclecars so there's already a huge pool of parts and tech already in place. They're an alternative to just about everything - I mean, when's the last time you saw a real, live, station wagon on the road? Tons of room, useful as hell. They can be cool - take a look at the Audi RS6 or the AMG E63.

Restore it, restomod it, hot rod it, whatever - there are no rules.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/13/22 8:26 p.m.

If I had enough funds: Fox Mustangs.  You can literally build them into anything thanks to the aftermarket.  The problem is that like Porsches, they are now out of my price range.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
6/13/22 9:08 p.m.

I've always wanted to do this to my Datsun.

hamster
hamster New Reader
6/13/22 9:18 p.m.

Datsun 240Z

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/22 9:50 p.m.

Corvairs. All versions all years rampsides to yenko stingers. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/13/22 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

More like in the same boat. I do like Singer's art better than Walkers. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/13/22 10:05 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

e-type (Eagle) https://www.eaglegb.com/

If I was silly rich, I'd buy an Eagle coupe.

Retropower in the UK has partnered with a company called Redux to build a BMW e30 M3 that's pretty sweet but it's crazy expensive.  

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
6/13/22 10:43 p.m.
hamster said:

Datsun 240Z

Check out MZR in the UK, no not the Mazda race engine.

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
6/14/22 12:07 a.m.

Europa

For me it would be the AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S hatchback. I'd love a big-bucks restomod one professionally done the way Singer does 911s, or Alfaholics does Alfa 105 coupes...keeping everything that makes the car iconic, and keep the character intact, but turn the performance, quality, and refinement up past 11!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/14/22 12:42 a.m.

Buick Rivieras. All the RWD models.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/22 2:03 a.m.

The superman lunchbox. Cars that are so uncool that they're cool. Pacers, pintos, 70s station wagons, Yugos, Citroens, Opel Kadets, Hornets, A100 vans, Isettas... bring me your k-cars, your Tradesmans, and your hearses, and I shallake it glorious.

My most regretted incomplete project was a 74 Maverick that I had planned on a full cage and a full STI AWD swap. Then strip the interior bare except for two cushy Recaros and cupholders. I would have used that as a DD. Roll up to a stoplight in a rumbly boxer with a Stig helmet, a travel mug of starbucks, and blastin NPR on the radio

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b1X3QfR1sc5YQcsOq9rm0sToGhQIaL5JPxvWSLtZgLBBcWTGkfU9UQo4At8xJhsU