1 2 3 4 5
Toebra
Toebra Dork
6/14/22 1:51 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Jaguar XJ13

There is an outfit in Oz will make you one of those.

Have had a hankering for a Beck 904 for some time now.  Would not mind having a Singer 914 at all.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/14/22 2:03 p.m.

I don't think Singer has done any 914 builds, have they?  

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/22 2:04 p.m.

I'll add another mention for the Z32 300ZX. I don't know much about Singer really or exactly what make their restomods so special, but they look alright to me.

A bespoke treatment for the old Godzilla would make for a very nice. Vehicle. I am in the early stages of working on mine, but they are well engineered and beautifully designed throughout as a platform to start with. Addressing some of the flaws and updating the design would be amazing because you would still keep the nostalgic stuff like t-tops, twin turbos, 4 wheels steering and a fastback hatch that have all disappeared in modern cars.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/14/22 3:54 p.m.
adam525i said:

As a new generation comes into money I'm sure the cars this applies to will change, I'm sure an Integra, Supra, NSX, RX-7 etc. would have buyers longing for those dream cars of their youth with a more modern experience.

Built by Legends is already doing it with EG Civics built by Spoon and R32 GTRs built by Mines.

scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
6/14/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

CRX

i was thinking this as well

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/22 5:06 p.m.

I may be biased.

And it's been done once, kinda:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/retro/restomod-week-retropowers-opel-gt

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
6/14/22 6:03 p.m.

We do it, with pretty much every car we build. 

417" stroker direct injected LT1. 10 speed auto. C6 Corvette based front, Camaro independent center section with our own arms, electro-hydraulic suspension, vintage air, modified ATS-V seats, blah blah blah. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/22 6:11 p.m.

Wait, y'all don't like Singer 911's?

Damn. Those things are beautiful and well built. And the interiors are right up my alley.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
6/14/22 9:33 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Nope

I am thinking if you bring a big enough wallet, those mugs at Singer would do your bidding, even if it involved a 914

This is a thread about a fairly awesome Type 34 VW with a 911 swap

There was a guy, Bader I think, had a 300 km/hour Karmann Ghia with a 3.6, beautiful

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
6/14/22 10:16 p.m.

C3 Corvette. Especially the rubber bumper cars. So much potential with those bulging vendors and coke bottle profile. 

Stock, rest car is blah.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/22 10:21 p.m.

BMW Z3/Coupe, because IIRC all of the external skin is removable, so they could do amazing things without being limited by anything but some hardpoints.

BMW deliberately designed the cars this way for flexibility in styling, and then they proceeded to do nothing with this capability.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/22 11:29 p.m.
Harvey said:

Singer makes bespoke Porsches out of 1989-1994 model year 911s. What other car would you want someone to do this sort of thing to?

I was thinking maybe the C6 Corvette Z06, but that's mainly because the interiors are so dull. Decent chassis though to start with and the body is a classic.

Maybe the FD RX-7, the body is a work of art, the chassis is great, the interior is average and the powertrain is flawed.

Read the title.  Came here to say rx7.  Beat to it in first post.

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
6/14/22 11:31 p.m.
Toebra said:
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Nope

I am thinking if you bring a big enough wallet, those mugs at Singer would do your bidding, even if it involved a 914

This is a thread about a fairly awesome Type 34 VW with a 911 swap

There was a guy, Bader I think, had a 300 km/hour Karmann Ghia with a 3.6, beautiful

Yup. Bader. Beautiful car. 

https://www.bader-racing.de/de/portfolio/portfolio.htm

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/15/22 12:06 a.m.

My interpretation of the Singer formula would be with the Alfa 105/115 cars. Like the 911 they are great performers as they were but they can be turned up so effectively. 

Unlike Singer you would have the choice of the GTV coupé, the spider or my favorite the Berlina. 

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
6/15/22 12:26 a.m.

I would second the MGA Coupe.  But I would want to add the fender tweaks from the Bader Ghia.

Yes, I am a heathen.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/22 1:00 a.m.

Folks have already touched on the first couple in my head: MGB and 2002. I also think Jaguar MkII and XJ sedan could be cool.

I also would love to do something based on some prewar stuff, but it would end up being either EV ride to dinner in near original appearing luxury, or something merely inspired by early sports/racing cars but shaped enough differently to work more like a modern performance car. It could go badly wrong.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
6/15/22 4:06 a.m.

Cool to see some BMW's in this thread, as that's what I would build. I am a little biased though, given that I've driven exclusively BMW's for almost a decade now and make a living running an independent BMW shop.

Once I get some more shop space, I'd love to do a full-on restomod type of build on an old BMW. I was thinking an E28, as they're pretty oldschool in their appearance but can be made to drive like a modern car without losing the charm. Much like how Singer chose a later production 964 chassis to start with, as opposed to something older.

An E28 with a new wiring harness, modern blade style fuses, modern engine management, and something like an S50/S52 would be a neat build, as it would have like 260-270hp pretty easily in NA form, a 6-speed manual for good highway cruising, new sound deadening and rubber seals to make it a good road trip car, limited slip diff, a good coilover suspension setup, bigger brakes, etc.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/15/22 6:52 a.m.

I'm thinking late 80's Grand Wagoneer 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/15/22 6:56 a.m.

I get this, after looking over a really clean Wagoneer.  Lovely looking vehicle, drives like an old jeep.  

What ever is used needs to be a desired classic already that is lost to old car disease.  Wagoneers, CJs many years and models of Jags, Range Rovers!!!.   Discoverys, Carbureted Hondas, Volvo Wagons, American pickup trucks.

Any of the cars and truck that we love the look of but would never own again due to painful maintenance.  

Hate to say this but BMW and Benz V12s or anything with a V12, they all rock but I would hate to own one.  Make it modern reliable with newer or older electronics.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/22 8:15 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
dean1484 said:

Jaguar XJ13

A UK company is building replicas, complete with a four cam engine.  https://buildingthelegend.co.uk/the-tera-quad-cam-v12

I think the photo is actually a replica.  I have researched these a bunch. There are a couple places that will make one for you.  The place in the UK is I think the most accurate while others make slight design changes including a removable hard top option that makes them almost a DD option.  

I know everyone was heaping praise  on the E type back when it came out for it's looks and performance but to me this was the car that should have been the star.  I get it that this was a one off car that never really got to race while the E Type you could get at any dealer. But this car could have put Jaguar on the map with the likes of the Miura had Jaguar homologated it. 

This really is my dream/bucket list car.  

Some day I will have one. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/15/22 8:26 a.m.
jr02518 said:

I would second the MGA Coupe.  But I would want to add the fender tweaks from the Bader Ghia.

Yes, I am a heathen.

You know, thinking about it, for the singer formula they seem to take something already desireable and turn it to 11,  I think a healey 100 or 3000 might command a bit more than other brit cars short of a Jaguar E-type (which is kind of already done by eagle)

An example of what can be and is done...  https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/caton/healey-100-restomod/

That said, I am a sucker for BRG and dark wire wheels... this car is *chef's kiss*

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/15/22 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

The big Healeys also have the benefit that modern sized humans fit in them, unlike an MGA where a 6 foot tall person always wishes for a few more inches to push the seat back.

I think that might be another piece of Singer's success.  911's, while small on the outside are spacious on the inside. Great performers for their day and still useable, daily driveable. They were always a halo car and one of the most iconic car shapes of all time so they have instant recognition.

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
6/15/22 10:40 a.m.

In reply to ClearWaterMS :

yes!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/22 10:54 a.m.

A C900 SAAB or an 80's Alfa GTV-6.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/15/22 10:59 a.m.

I'm thinking a car with a big (big!) fan base and a decent supply of donor cars. Plus something that appeals to a buyer in their peak earning years.

How about an E30, E36 or E46 BMW? Euro-spec engines, Evo/IMSA/touring car-type body influences, the right stance, comfortable interiors, etc. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VEu6YERTXRkJd4sOAZyvITFnL1NRbRK7LhXAG26Ku1gGLC8MvRvvE2agWTPQrvAe