1 2
neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/14/09 10:12 a.m.

Once again I am looking at new(to me) cars. The back story on this is in the 8 months I have had my Neon, I have now spent more on repairs than purchase price. The combonation of requirements (financing, miles, ect.) dictate I go thrueSimmons-Rockwell

Now to the meat of the question, my personal requirements.

1. Price, Ideally $8k, with a $10K limit

2. Larger than my neon, but no larger than my mothers '07 taurus

3. Autotragic is acceptable if the engine has torque to be converted, ie. 3L V6=WOOT, small I4=bleh

4. The Neon will remain as my winter rat/ autoX beater, so performance is not a deciding factor

5. Cars, OK. Small SUVs/trucks, ok with 20mpg and 4/AWD. Mini-vans, sure, you can haul loads of camping gear

So, yeah, you have the link to the inventory and requirements, just wondering what your thoughts are. And this is just to feel things out, I'm going to wait a few weeks to save up, hopefully including tax returns, for a down payment.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/14/09 10:20 a.m.

There are several Nissan Sentras that look good in that range..2006, 5-speed, low miles.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/14/09 11:12 a.m.

Scion TC w/ 5spd $8999

Acura 3.5 Auto $7999

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/09 11:21 a.m.

Bugeye WRX wagon

Autolex
Autolex Reader
1/14/09 11:28 a.m.
jdmae92 wrote: Bugeye WRX wagon

+1

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/14/09 11:34 a.m.

2000-2005 Celica GTS.

Rev happy, light, quick, decent gas mileage, handles like CRAZY.

Easily found in your price range.

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
1/14/09 11:36 a.m.

GC8 2.5RS A LOT of fun!

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/09 11:40 a.m.

Just noticed the link in your first post and it looks like they don't have any Subarus in your price range.

...which means you should look somewhere else.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/14/09 11:47 a.m.

Any of the Toyota's mentioned, or I saw an ad on local TV yesterday for a brand new Corolla for $13,995.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/14/09 4:48 p.m.

I went and looked around, but no test drives

The GMs i looked at included malibu, malibu maxx, and G6. While all these are shared platform/corprate parts bin cars, the G6 stuck me as much nicer than the other two.

For utes I looked at libberties and an xl7. I liked the feel of the libby over the 7, plus a larger selection in my price range. But I also realize the 7 will last longer.

The newer dodges(avenger/calibur), wow, my '98 neon has better build quality for the interior. The 01-06(?) strats/sebrings felt ok. But a sebring vert for $9K has cought my eye, but it is at a one of the other dealers. And will some one pleaze remind me that a PT 'vert is a bad idea.

The only import in my price range that was big enough was the mazda 6, It seamed realy nice, but I'm not sure how it feals with the I4/auto combo.

And if all else fails, i would be happy to get a taurus like my mothers, i have been driving that for most of the past month and while rather borring, I find the comfort level makes up for it.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/14/09 4:55 p.m.

To meet a similar set of parameters (actually, I want to spend less money), I'm planning to get a Ford Focus in the summer.

mtn
mtn Dork
1/14/09 4:56 p.m.

Miata.

What? Somebody had to say it.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
1/14/09 6:17 p.m.

I've got an 08 Mazda6 with an I4/Auto. Powerwise, it's no hot rod, but it handled better than any other Fwd midsize I test drove. I get about 25 mpg around town and over 30 on the highway. Admittedly, if I hadn't needed the trunk space, I would've bought a 3. That is a car for a hooligan.

Edit: The Mazda6 wagon came in only a V6 model, and of the wagons I've seen ( not too many ) quite a few of them were manual.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/14/09 6:22 p.m.

Very informative, it is high on the list

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
1/14/09 6:29 p.m.
jdmae92 wrote: Bugeye WRX wagon

+eleventy billion! I just finished shopping for one, and let me tell you, 8K can buy you a great example. I'm having a blast with mine.

You can go pre-2002 if you don't want/need the WRX submodel. An Outback sounds right up your ally!

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
1/14/09 6:38 p.m.

I just saved for future reference an ad on craigslist for an '04 Saturn Vue Redline for around $8600 with 70K miles.

-John

doc_speeder
doc_speeder New Reader
1/14/09 6:49 p.m.

I was in the market about 2 months ago. I already have a toy/project so my requirements were as follows: Under $10K, a medium-largish size sedan that would serve family duty, better FE than the '91 Safari that we were DD'ing, a good parts/knowledge supply, and somewhat enjoyable to drive.
I ended up with a 2004 Grand Prix GTP with 120,000 kms. After 2 months of daily driving and a long trip, I can say that I really like it. It's very comfortable, roomy, quiet, and the SC3800 is a hoot. It's likely about the size of a Taurus I guess.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/14/09 7:29 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: I just saved for future reference an ad on craigslist for an '04 Saturn Vue Redline for around $8600 with 70K miles. -John

That's a great rig that most people don't know they'd want.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/14/09 8:12 p.m.

I still say Outback.

It's the vehicle that satisfies everything people need in a vehicle and a good amount of what people want. Sure, it's not as fun as the WRX (well, unless you can find a 3.0 car), but it'll haul more stuff, and you won't care as much when it get's dinged.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
1/14/09 8:47 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I still say Outback. It's the vehicle that satisfies everything people need in a vehicle and a good amount of what people want. Sure, it's not as fun as the WRX (well, unless you can find a 3.0 car), but it'll haul more stuff, and you won't care as much when it get's dinged.

Subaru is damn confusing!

The "Outback Sport" is based on the Impreza wagon. The regular Outback is based on the Legacy wagon.

I just learned there was an Outback Sedan! How weird is that?

Staying with Subies, don't discount the Legacy wagons and the Forester.

I just read the Simmons-Rockwell thing. Why are you limited to just that place?

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/15/09 5:10 a.m.

Im not impressed with subaru reliability. My dad has a 96 outback wagon, and although it hasnt ever completly stopped running, it has not ever ran right (for one reason or another) since a couple of months after he nought it. My mom drivers a 99 Grand Prix GTP, its not bad, although it doesnt handle terribly well, gets poor milage in town (usually around 15-17), and the intreior stuff doesnt hold up well. I had to replace ths shifter becasue the solenoid to keep you from shifting out of park died, it would have cost $400 if I had bought one from the dealer, you can no longer change the vent controls in the dash (the heater is on on the drivers side all the time), stuff like that. Its a typical GM offerng meant to be traded in at 100k miles though, so I guess I cant complain too much.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/09 8:13 a.m.

All those problems with a GTP, really? We have an 01 GT (which is a GTP with no blower, same suspension, brakes, body, and interior). Bought it used in 06 with 80K and put 25K+ miles on it since then with nothing but routine maintenance. It's been a very reliable car that gets decent mileage (22MPG city, 28MPG highway). The only thing in the interior to fail was the light bulb in the radio which a friend changed out for me.

I have worked on about a dozen late-90's Subaru's that tend to never run right. The 00-and-newer stuff don't seem like they sare the problems, but there is definitely something up with the late 90's ones.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder New Reader
1/15/09 8:22 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: My mom drivers a 99 Grand Prix GTP, its not bad, although it doesnt handle terribly well, gets poor milage in town (usually around 15-17), and the intreior stuff doesnt hold up well. I had to replace ths shifter becasue the solenoid to keep you from shifting out of park died, it would have cost $400 if I had bought one from the dealer, you can no longer change the vent controls in the dash (the heater is on on the drivers side all the time), stuff like that. Its a typical GM offerng meant to be traded in at 100k miles though, so I guess I cant complain too much.

I looked at several 2003 and older GTP's, because I like the styling better (exterior), and many of them had broken/loose switches etc. I bought the 2004 because they drastically improved the interior. Seems put together better. I don't like the outside as much, but that's not really that important for a family car anyway. Pretty tight too, very few rattles/squeaks.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/15/09 11:15 a.m.

I have driven my sisters '06 Gran Prix, and i would rather have a taurus. I found the over all Ergo situation in the GP rather akward

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/09 12:31 p.m.

The 04+ GP interior is bizarre. I much prefer our 01's which was shared from 98-03.

I don't understand the sticking with one dealer theme though? There's tons of great $8K privately-owned cars in your area.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TbFzrTdVrIahWfGSX6gfMe09IrXnTXyjaS0O4mdUgYT81HoTLwSdsKyC4T6YTqXC