singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
5/3/17 2:26 p.m.

I have a 1962 volvo pv544 I want to swap the front drum brakes to discs.Some people use volvo 122 discs,calipers,and modified brackets but parts are pricey and not readily available. The volvo has a common 5"x 4 1/2" lug pattern.I want discs and calipers I can walk into any chain auto parts store and buy relatively cheap.Volvo's after the 122 had a larger lug pattern so I won't use them.I'm using 17" wheels so disc o.d. won't be a problem. Without going into a long explanation I want to upgrade from drum brakes.So please no suggestions on how to make the drum system better. As always thanks for any,and all,help.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
5/3/17 2:32 p.m.

1999-04 Mustang front brakes could work. They have two piston aluminum calipers, rotors separate from the hubs and right bolt pattern. Bonus is you could upgrade to Cobra/Mach 1 brakes later on.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/3/17 2:34 p.m.

If you're going to run 17" rims, look at Crown Vic or Mustang for donors. Grab master cyl from same car, plumb an adjustable prop into the rear circuit.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/3/17 2:42 p.m.

Yea nowday's you can find Bearings to put just about any rotor on any Spindle then you need to fab up brackets for the calipers .but it maybe more simple than that By finding a spindle that fits the A arms/ball joints. there is a 122 here with discs and a ford mustang running gear around here as 81Cpcamero aludid to check 90's up mustangs.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/3/17 2:48 p.m.

I would go with s10 calipers. They are referred to as d52 by the racing world. Id pair that with 12 inch mustang rotors. Should be easy enough to make an adapter.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
5/3/17 7:40 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

I'll be running my original front hubs.The hub and brake disc are separate pieces.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
5/3/17 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Wow thank you very much.This would be a very,very good choice.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/3/17 8:15 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I would go with s10 calipers. They are referred to as d52 by the racing world. Id pair that with 12 inch mustang rotors. Should be easy enough to make an adapter.

D52 are bigger than s10 calipers. S10 are metric. Shared with 3rd gen f body and g body. D52 are fullsize car and astro van stuff.

Metric calipers are super common and are used in lots of kits.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/3/17 8:21 p.m.

Thanks for the clarification pat. I apparently combined them in my head.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/3/17 8:44 p.m.

then you need a rotor that Mimics the drum center or a centering ring or a rotor that can be machined to the hub diameter, then there are a plethura of brackets that can be drilled to the Backing plate mounting hole pattern after you find your mounting location and caliper offset to center said rotor and caliper, Wilwood makes brackets for drag cars and calipers but they are not as large as most road race stuff more like light weight and check Speedway also.

Budspv544
Budspv544
8/17/20 12:55 p.m.

In reply to singledownloop :

Did you ever convert your drum brakes to Disk and what did you finely do?

My brakes need updating on my 544 .I've been looking into Wilwood but need the very elusive caliper mounting plate. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/17/20 10:06 p.m.

The S10 / metric brakes are the D154 w/10.50" rotors

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
8/18/20 10:36 a.m.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but given how light the PV544 is (~2100#), maybe NC Miata brakes?  5x4.5 bolt pattern, cheap, work well, available errrywhere, and aftermarket support is near infinite.  Is there a downside to them that I'm not seeing?  

wspohn
wspohn Dork
8/18/20 1:49 p.m.

MGB are the same bolt pattern.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k28FD3UwWKYo1DiTNvhsOsG1vnpfbyWkoskxbLP0yZqiXHQ7SXXsib6ouoAI5cgb