Akbarratt
Akbarratt GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/23/22 3:54 p.m.

I have this 91 civic dx hatch. It was a ITB car in SF region 6or7 years ago. Could go racing again if i updated the boltin autopower cage a little bit. 

I autocross locally, but would like to go to some bigger events at some point. Which brings me to my point. 

I blew the head gasket on the d15, so I have to do something with it. Currently it has to run either EP because of no rear interior, or DSP because that's where IT cars are classed. Neither are a competitive place for it. 

So do I engine swap, find a rear seat and go SMF? Or strip it down for an EP limited prep? Sell it and get a miata?

Just not sure which way to go. It's a clean damage and rust free hatch too.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/23/22 4:04 p.m.

I loved my B16A-powered CRX.

calteg
calteg Dork
3/23/22 4:09 p.m.

Sell it to me for pennies on the dollar and buy a GR86

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
3/23/22 4:10 p.m.

Questions:

How much do you like the car? 

If you really love the car fix it and work on making it more competitive. My Datsun is not competitive but I love driving it so I tweak it every few years to make it faster.

How much does being competitive really mean to you?

If you absolutely have to be competitive than going to a street class with a Miata might be the way to go. You could easily drive it to and from events that are farther away. For the cost of making my Datsun competitive I was able to buy a Formula 500. Going to another car isn't always a bad thing.

If it were me I'd fix the car I have and see if I could make it competitive. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
3/23/22 4:15 p.m.

Blow gently into a largely stock Vtec D and you have a solid locally competitive SMF car starting from zero the swap, turbo kit, and supporting hardware is probably $2000 without doing anything too ghetto. 

Alternatively I suggest selling it to me because that thing looks minty fresh! 

Akbarratt
Akbarratt GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/23/22 6:39 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Oddly enough I had an f500 before this.  Lots of FTD. Local course is way too rough though and I sold it after a season. 

I am a competitive person, though I don't NEED to win everything.  Being DFL all the time because of the classing (wrong car, or wrong prep) sucks.

Think I should leave it a street car though, and prep towards smf.

BTW my other car is a Datsun as well. Roadster 

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
3/28/22 8:46 a.m.

I owned 3 different generations of the Civic and a 2nd generation Integra and one of my favourite Civics was the 92 CX hatch that I had a friend transplant an Integra LS engine and transmission into it.  I kept it very " stock " looking, complete with 14 versus 13 inch wheels and Honda wheelcovers.  With bracing in front and top and bottom in the rear that car was like a fairly civilized go cart.  It even had A/C.  And with the bigger/more powerful engine pulling the light car, it got great gas mileage.

I stupidly sold it to buy a newer Civic.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/28/22 10:08 a.m.

You could also consider the new XStreet class.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50Q5VGuRDc9NiE8qMJvJ0iQz2Kw2GntdEsNyGApRGRGL9dKb8yaJd1haZW21YA88