1 ... 4 5 6 7
Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
8/9/22 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I needed that chuckle this morning. Hats off sir.

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/9/22 11:58 a.m.
dps214 said:
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to te72 :

A screen to protect the existing pickup screen? Sounds like addressing the symptom, not the cause. 

Sounds like just moving the problem upstream a bit. I guess if you gave the screen more surface area at the same time, it would be an improvement.

I'll be the first to admit I'm no engineer, but this is where my mind was at. It may not be the best solution, but I haven't heard a whole lot of other solutions brought up yet, either. Having a tiny screen at the end of a tube has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen from an oil delivery standpoint. Then again, Subaru is well known for oil control issues in performance applications.

Might as well start with the knock knock jokes on this engine too...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/9/22 12:10 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

The solution is to prevent it. And then have a recall to repair the old ones. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/22 12:10 p.m.

Would there be a trade between increasing the screen size and the pickup unporting?

Just convert to a dry sump system and solve all the problems!laugh

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/9/22 12:11 p.m.
z31maniac said:
kevinatfms said:

Note to self....never buy a Subaru or Subaru powered anything.

LOL, buy a Ford. The manufacturer with the most recalls in history. 

Odd that a thread about a Subaru engine issue has shifted to bash another oem. Focus, people. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/9/22 12:13 p.m.
Karacticus said:

Would there be a trade between increasing the screen size and the pickup unporting?

Just convert to a dry sump system and solve all the problems!laugh

Unless the gasket issue is done at the same time, a dry sump won't fix the problem- it will just shift the problem to a different part of the engine where the debris will block a different passage and cause a failure. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 12:22 p.m.
te72 said:
dps214 said:
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to te72 :

A screen to protect the existing pickup screen? Sounds like addressing the symptom, not the cause. 

Sounds like just moving the problem upstream a bit. I guess if you gave the screen more surface area at the same time, it would be an improvement.

I'll be the first to admit I'm no engineer, but this is where my mind was at. It may not be the best solution, but I haven't heard a whole lot of other solutions brought up yet, either. Having a tiny screen at the end of a tube has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen from an oil delivery standpoint. Then again, Subaru is well known for oil control issues in performance applications.

Might as well start with the knock knock jokes on this engine too...

I still haven't seen a nice clear picture of the 2022 GT86 pickup out of the car. Just how small is the screen? Every picture I've seen has a weird artifact like it's being shot through a magnifying glass. Is the screen halfway up the pickup?

Comparative examples:

LS3 (which has more main bearings and rod bearings, so does that mean it has higher oil flow requirements?):

NA/NB Miata

Toyota 22RE

LS1 (correction, SBC):

GM, seriously, what are you doing here?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 12:41 p.m.

I may be doing chains on a Chevy 3.6 very soon, I will take pics of how much gasketing fronds and crusts there are on engines that don't have issues.

Well, not pickup clog issues.

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/9/22 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

As I understand it, the screen is essentially a concave cup. The RTV sticks to the center but leaves the sides open generally. And yes, for some reason that I'm sure only subaru could manage to explain to us, it's half way up the tube. Which is why trying to pick all the stuff out of it seems like not a great solution. You haven't seen a photo out of the car because fully removing it requres essentially disassembling the engine.

We were brainstorming things like trying to vacuum the stuff out of there, but are concerned that either it'll be stuck on there too well or it'll do something weird like lose prime on the oil pump from applying suction to the pickup tube.

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/10/22 10:07 a.m.

I'm a bit baffled (no pun intended) by the size of some of those pickups, particularly the LS3. I wonder if it isn't for some sort of efficiency reason, to have such a small screen?

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/10/22 11:08 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

It is actually fairly large of a screen, but it is shrouded to minimize the likelihood of picking up air.

Keith Tanner
8/10/22 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I can see that working in the LS3 version but not the LS1, unless they assume there's one direction of slosh that's not a concern. Or because the LS3 was designed with the lessons learned by the LS1 :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/10/22 11:29 a.m.

That "LS1" pickup is a small block Chevy pickup.  Presses into the oil pump bolted to the rear main cap.

Keith Tanner
8/10/22 11:31 a.m.

Ah, I didn't think it looked familiar but I thought maybe it was a different application than the Camero ones I'd handled.

JahjahSQC
JahjahSQC New Reader
9/6/22 4:19 p.m.

In reply to paddygarcia :

Just 2 independently owned distributorships. Gulf States Toyota & Southeast Toyota. Everything else is operated by Toyota Motor Sales.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/6/22 4:25 p.m.
alfadriver said:
z31maniac said:
kevinatfms said:

Odd that a thread about a Subaru engine issue has shifted to bash another oem. Focus, people. 

It's odd there is a gigantic thread about this. We have 1 confirmed failure for 8100 cars sold, and everyone is losing their mind like your grandma for the Beatles. 

Opti
Opti Dork
9/7/22 11:20 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I pretty much agree with you, but I have also been seeing people pulling off pans on super low mileage cars and finding a bunch of silicone.

So is this a freak failure, or is it just the beginning? So I'm currently sitting on the fence to see what happens

dps214
dps214 Dork
9/7/22 5:55 p.m.
z31maniac said:
alfadriver said:
z31maniac said:
kevinatfms said:

It's odd there is a gigantic thread about this. We have 1 confirmed failure for 8100 cars sold, and everyone is losing their mind like your grandma for the Beatles. 

I'm not saying it's not overblown, but there's definitely been a lot more than one confirmed failure. Just only one that tried to deny the warranty claim.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/7/22 6:25 p.m.

Isn't the engine also used in Subaru's new SUV?  Where are the plugged pickups in those?

dps214
dps214 Dork
9/7/22 7:19 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Isn't the engine also used in Subaru's new SUV?  Where are the plugged pickups in those?

There's evidence that hard use is needed or at least very much speeds up the process. Give them a few more years or until the owners start running them low on oil and I bet they'll start showing up. Also most people had no idea the issue existed until the warranty denial media storm. For all we know it is happening on the SUVs but nobody outside of the three people on that forum know about it because nobody's had reason to make a big deal of it.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/7/22 9:02 p.m.

Here is a picture of the pickup from a dismantled GR86.  A guy posted it today on the GR86 Facebook group.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/25/22 9:54 a.m.

This feels like someone has lodged a canoe in their oil pickup screen.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/10/23 2:23 p.m.

Well, as the broohaha continues, I stand by my fairly long held thinking that the older subarus, in spite of what some folks might say, are better built. As a long time subaru owner and having had the questionable fortune of owning something like nine of the damn things in my lifetime, the newest being an 017 BRZ with performance package which has long ago been sold. Why? you ask? Well its pretty simple, SOA and their crooked dealer network wouldnt stand behind their product and make good on what was very obviously a problem with their very high priced Brembo performance brake package offered on the car. I did some looking on my own and the problem was not limited to my car, it was in evidence on EVERY Brembo equipped car I looked at. Then when I was on vacation and the car was parked we had a hail storm that made the surface of the car look like a golf ball, I had it fixed under insurance and sold it. Disgusted with making payments on a car that was no longer in anything like the pristine condition it should be in for its age, and with dealing with a dishonest warranty resolution situation, it was my solution to a bad situation. So I have 3 older ones that I keep running most of the time, and enjoy driving most of the time. But I'll never buy another new one. SOA has ensured that will never happen by mistreating my legitimate claim several years ago. I hope they read this post...and let it be a word to the wise, they are not good people to deal with on warranty issues. Toyota may be better, I have no clue, I am no toyota fan, other than the 86 they make nothing of interest to me. But I'd come closer to taking a chance on the 86 than I would a BRZ just because of who would not be administering the warranty claim. Just saying.

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/10/23 7:40 p.m.

What was the brake issue?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
3/11/23 10:36 p.m.
alfadriver said:
z31maniac said:
kevinatfms said:

Ram Ecodiesel: "yeah man, focus!"

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V9Dwk5AaO3jjRUIliFGcJIqMHrJtcNJbQRNUgb8rhNWoHnugyY1oYcZhsMFlPcv9