1 2 3
jb229
jb229 New Reader
5/2/22 2:44 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

I foresee a big aftermarket on those front nose clips at least.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
5/2/22 2:46 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

...And the historical precedent for the bumper delete detracts from the original Z's looks as much, if not more, than the new Z.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/2/22 2:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And some historical context for the nose:

I am glad you pointed that out.  I never made the connection .

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/22 2:50 p.m.
thashane said:

can you fit 4 wheels/ tires in the back? 

That depends on the size of the wheels/tires :) I can carry four in a Miata - they were for my classic Mini, but hey. It counts.

I like the nose on the yellow car, and I also like the look of a 70's car like a 240 or a Golf with the bumpers removed. I'm less of a fan of the rear of the car, I would prefer more discrete* taillights and less of an 80's slab across the back. I find the chrome strip along the roofline interesting - I don't know how I'll like it when it's on a dark car or from other angles.

* note, this is not a misspelling of discreet

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/22 3:20 p.m.
jkstill said:

Interesting that there is a gauge for turbo speed.  This is a common option on aftermarket ECUs.

I'm thinking of offering an after market gauge that does this...

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/2/22 5:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
thashane said:

That depends on the size of the wheels/tires :) I can carry four in a Miata - they were for my classic Mini, but hey. It counts.

I like the nose on the yellow car, and I also like the look of a 70's car like a 240 or a Golf with the bumpers removed. I'm less of a fan of the rear of the car, I would prefer more discrete* taillights and less of an 80's slab across the back. I find the chrome strip along the roofline interesting - I don't know how I'll like it when it's on a dark car or from other angles.

* note, this is not a misspelling of discreet

Square left in 50 caution ocean! - Author of How To Build a High Performance Mazda Miata

Ha! Guess I should've been more specific. Judging from the pictures,  looks like a tire or two may be on the passenger seat.

I like the new car, mostly I'm hoping it'll take a small amount of demand off the new Japanese hot hatches, and allow me to acquire one of those. 

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
5/2/22 5:59 p.m.
thashane said:

255 front and 275 rear on 19s? As the youths would say, 4 in the back is pretty sus. My calibrated eye says that even 2 in the back would be pushing it with the lack of height. Maybe if there's a spare well but I'd be surprised to see a spare, of any size, under the hatch liner.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/2/22 5:59 p.m.

I'll chime in since I have a very important opinion (tongue firmly in cheek as I have neither the means nor interest in buy a new sports car).

I saw one in the flesh driving in TN last fall. Probably testing. The looks were not too interesting to me. At least passing it at 65 on the interstate. I actually thought it was a Mustang from a distance, then was like wait, have these been released already and I didn't even know about it?! I even posted here asking. 

Agreed on the other nose being a bit better, although the fender flares probably help the looks just as much as the different nose does.

If they can nail the driving dynamics, I think it will be a success. But I really doubt they nail it the way the Supra seems to have. THe last few Zs have been good, but not overly exciting. I am glad they are making it. And I sort of like that yellow.

Keith Tanner
5/2/22 6:16 p.m.

A Nismo Super Z with rivet-on flares and an aggressive chin spoiler and a ducktail and some hood vents and mmmmmm......

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/22 10:45 p.m.

I do like the front of the orange Nismo better than the standard car.

Glad Nissan put the screen IN the dash instead of ontop of it like so many companies do.

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX Reader
5/3/22 8:10 a.m.

Decent looks(compared to most current appliances), 400+ hp, and the almost extinct manual trans. There really is so much to love about the new 400z but as others had pointed out some interior design features may not age well and although I really hope it has enough personality to be a very special car, I have my doubts. 

Point of departure: I really hope Nismo  at least offers the bumpers/skirt as a kit.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/3/22 1:54 p.m.

Also, driving impressions to come on May 16. :) 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/22 2:04 p.m.

The NISMO racing version looks really good!

front end is not my favorite, but overall i dig it.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/3/22 2:45 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

It is the lack of "details" that makes it look somewhat classy to me. Especially the side and rear view (I like the '80's bar across the back, don't care for the shape of the headlights). Seems like a lot of the overwrought designs are the ones that look dated in 5 years.

Keith Tanner
5/3/22 3:15 p.m.

I actually saw a 240Z on the highway today, going the opposite direction on the interstate. It had a front bumper, but that big unbroken open maw was very clear. Had there been a new Z beside it the family resemblance would have been quite strong. The grille opening is correct.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/3/22 3:18 p.m.
dyintorace said:

In this iteration of the "400Z" you can really see the 370Z bones in all profiles. 

Grunion
Grunion New Reader
5/3/22 3:21 p.m.

I think the interior looks like it came right out of an Xterra with all that cheap grey plastic.

Black wheels are already dated.

There isn't enough glass, the windows are all too small. Others have mentioned the weird paint scheme...

That hoover-fish-mouth screams "that's it, I don't know what else to do, down pencils."

Red calipers? Really, is that still a thing? 

The whole thing screams lack of imagination and I'll bet it's no easier to drive than the outgoing lump. Visibility will be crap. You will be on a first-name basis with the paintless dent repair guys.

Sorry, this will never be on my radar.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
5/3/22 4:03 p.m.
engiekev said:

Turbo speed is highly unlikely to be a measured parameter (boost certainly is), but an ECM signal based on a model.  Most OEM ECM software uses this signal as a limit to avoid overspeeding the turbo, not so much as a displayable parameter.  This is very unique, but not so useful as mentioned.

You might be surprised to find the turbo speed actually is measured. The turbo's have a optical speed sensor on them to allow them to spin a bit faster than the lesser tune of this same engine.  Still.....not really useful info to the driver on a daily basis, but could come in handy for tuning. Probably more so in the data list than the gauge....but it is cool. 

https://global.nissannews.com/en/releases/151217-03-e

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/3/22 4:40 p.m.
dyintorace said:

I like this more than the base for a reason I can't quite put my finger on.

The only real criticism I have of the 400Z design in general is that it feels like something should really be breaking up the giant black rectangle that is the front grille. The TAS version does that elegantly enough but it would be nice to see other aftermarket options for the same.

Keith Tanner
5/3/22 5:18 p.m.

I like the big front opening because it looks like it was hacked out due to a real need for airflow. It's got a look of purposefulness to it, unlike a BMW kidney that ranges from the air dam to the base of the hood. It's appropriate, too. I suspect it'll look better in person than it does in pictures. And heck, if it bothers you just get a black one :)

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/3/22 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Unfortunately, I despise black painted vehicles, so that's a non-starter cheeky

It does appear that the grille isn't fully functional; the middle portion is fake vents (which makes sense, you have to put the bumper beam somewhere). I would just prefer a body line in place of the fake vents to divide up that opening a bit.

Keith Tanner
5/3/22 6:25 p.m.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that last point. I don't think the body line would look better or that it would look more like the original. But I'm sure there will be lots of styling parts available for this thing so we can both get what we want :)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/3/22 11:05 p.m.

Grille close-up of the car that I drove. 

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
5/4/22 12:06 a.m.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's me just actually focusing on the grille, but it's kinda..... Meh? I wanna say yucky but that feels reactionary and childish. It's a small thing, to be sure, but there's like 3 different things going on in that maw and it's a little confusing. I don't mind the square maw but I do mind the grille. Still like the car, overall, but starting to wonder about the smaller details like the grille and center console. 

I'd love to know what's wrong with the car. When I was house shopping I would always look for what was wrong with a house. Anyone could (and would) tell me everything that was right but I was the only one looking for the wrongs to provide contrast. Then again, I imagine that a review pointing out dislikes and "flaws" probably wouldn't be good from the business angle.

I had something to say about not liking the center console, on first look, but when I went back to the picture I kinda was whelmed by the doorway shot on the whole. It looks a bit much but also a bit whelming. Is it?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9gr9719dwBIFfYsYS63cf0CUMi9u848ZMLFI6GwEBKaIXBSpIqKFtytZ8W8WdZvT