1 2 3 4 5 6
turtl631
turtl631 New Reader
2/9/14 9:46 a.m.
LanEvo wrote: I'm a gynecologist. Let the jokes commence...
oldtin wrote: I run an outpatient internal medicine clinic inside a cancer hospital (palliative care, symptom management and survivorship).

3rd year emergency medicine resident...didnt realize there was anyone else here in medicine. Med school and residency have sure done a number on the car hobby, mostly exists on the internet now sad

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
2/9/14 10:05 a.m.

I'm not..

But I'll take a look!

sanman
sanman Reader
2/9/14 10:12 a.m.

Clinical psychologist specializing in geriatrics and health psyhology. I mostly work in nursing homes/rehab facilities ensuring that residents comply with treatment and are doing well cognitively and emotionally. It can involve a lot of driving and I sometimes get an old car guy as a pt that I will lend my car mags to for reading material.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
2/9/14 10:32 a.m.

I'm an Educational Assistant working with students who have exceptionalities. I'm also a Graphic Designer, not enough work to support this career, but still do some work on the side.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
2/9/14 10:42 a.m.

I fix broken E36 M3. Mostly houses.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
2/9/14 10:44 a.m.

I design and make automated and not-automated laboratory instruments for NIH. It's a 1099 contract gig, so I don't have any benefits at all, just a monthly direct deposit in the sum of my rate times the number of hours I've worked the preceding month.

Which mercifully is capped at 32 hours a week, so I have plenty of time to renovate an old house and build and campaign a race car.

For many, many years I worked in the same fields and my hobbies, and I'll offer that there's no better way to spoil a good pastime than turning avocation to vocation.

Leave the "A" out.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
2/9/14 10:55 a.m.

I warp impressionable minds (.....which, while fun, is definitely not an an activity that involves automobiles.)

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
2/9/14 10:56 a.m.

I am the shop foreman of a Mazda dealership. Which means I babysit other people an fix their mistakes.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
2/9/14 11:07 a.m.

I'm an engineer for a Detroit OEM. Basically a professional hot-rodder with more math behind it.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
2/9/14 11:11 a.m.

I sell cah pahts.

Did the box bog store thing for about 8-1/2 to 9 years and recently went to a Mom and Pops type company with a set schedule, no weekends, etc. I like it.

turtl631
turtl631 New Reader
2/9/14 11:28 a.m.
motomoron wrote: For many, many years I worked in the same fields and my hobbies, and I'll offer that there's no better way to spoil a good pastime than turning avocation to vocation. Leave the "A" out.

That's good to hear, I sometimes wish I had gone into engineering or motorsports in some capacity. But this job is interesting, pays well with reasonable hours, and is totally unrelated so wrenching after work feels like a nice break rather than drudgery. The real drawback is the 7 years of post undergrad training which I'm done with in five months. Overall, I can't complain. Especially having watched my dad work as an ironworker my whole life.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/14 11:31 a.m.

I am a Stage Hand.. specifically Stage Lighting., Been doing it before I graduated HS and still at it 43 years now. I am the guy who climbs up onto the rig and does all the focusing (among other things)

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/9/14 11:38 a.m.

I've worked in the auto industry since my days in a quick-lube place 25 years ago. Now I develop and write the training courses for Nissan technicians.

SeanC
SeanC New Reader
2/9/14 12:42 p.m.

I work a day job as a machinist, as well as having my own CNC/conventional machine shop that I run part time at home. Maybe some day I'll be able to just work at home.

-Sean

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/9/14 12:44 p.m.

For a living? Right now, working part time in a high-end ladies clothing shop. For fun? I blow up canoes!

carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
2/9/14 12:47 p.m.

I'm an engineer for a large manufacturer of aerials and large truck equipment for the utility industry. In exchange for long and stressful workweeks designing and troubleshooting the electrical and hydraulic systems on the trucks, I get to play with some pretty cool big trucks, and travel occasionally.

Another perk is that I can get unused scrap metal and parts from our boneyard for scrap rate. Right now, I'm working on making a welding/fixture table and an hydraulic tubing bender from "boneyard" parts.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
2/9/14 1:01 p.m.

Short answer, I am an over-paid babysitter...

Long answer, I am a Production Leader for a German robotics company at Toledo Jeep Supplier Park. We assemble the body-in-white for the Wrangler. It's a UAW position, but management thinks it's a management position. So my "job" is to basically lie to both sides when my line is not running well.

It's actually a pretty cool gig, but a lot of hours, and a lot of stress at times. Gives me the disposable income to play with cars, but sometimes staring at cars all day, every day at work, makes me not want to wrench on anything when I have time away from work.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/14 1:06 p.m.

My job involves cars, but only when they're on fire or wrapped around telephone poles.

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
2/9/14 1:24 p.m.
turtl631 wrote:
oldtin wrote: I run an outpatient internal medicine clinic inside a cancer hospital (palliative care, symptom management and survivorship).
3rd year emergency medicine resident...didnt realize there was anyone else here in medicine. Med school and residency have sure done a number on the car hobby, mostly exists on the internet now *sad*

Family Medicine intern here. Med school really put a dent in my car hobby but I made it a point to lease my WRX as soon as I started residency so I could at least enjoy commute!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/9/14 1:24 p.m.
irish44j wrote: ...and at a ski shop on Saturdays (ski tuning master tech)...

Do you ever offer advice to advanced/expert skiers who pester you on an internet car forum as a way to cut thru marketing bullE36 M3 and get some decent all-mountain hardware at a reasonable price? Every 15yr old "expert" in a retail store around here is younger than my last pair of boards. I could use some straight talk.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
2/9/14 1:28 p.m.

I design outdoor cooking appliances (grills) and prefabricated fireplaces. This involves lots of CAD, metal-fab, staring at fire in a lab, and working with UL inspectors.

11110000 Reader
2/9/14 1:33 p.m.

My job doesn't involve cars, but I do work with engines. I'm an engineer who supports the manufacture and maintenance of powerplants like the one you see here:

ouchx100
ouchx100 New Reader
2/9/14 1:36 p.m.

I used to wash cars at a Mazda dealer. I went to school to become a tech and the dealer would never hire me so now I'm washing test tanks for a company that manufactures sprinklers. I've only been here about 4 weeks now and they seem to be wanting to train me to work on the machines that make the sprinklers but I'm not sure how much fun this will be over working on cars. The pay and hours are better than the dealership, but the few times I've helped out on the machines it kinda makes me want to start working on the cars again.

Two of my dreams are either work with race cars either on a team or build them in a shop, or become a professional driver and get paid to race cars. Lets be honest though, who on this board wouldn't want that?

RHCorley
RHCorley New Reader
2/9/14 1:39 p.m.

I'm an 'Old Retired Guy' now, but I used to drive cars with stripes on the sides and flashing blue and red lights on top. I still play with Italian sports cars [Alfa Romeos] with a long time friend and am in the middle of trying to make one Alfetta GT out of two.

BenB
BenB New Reader
2/9/14 2:06 p.m.

Medical writer. We take data from clinical trials, interpret it, and boil it down into a big report than eventually goes to the FDA. Way better than my previous gig as an airline pilot. Pays better, sleep in my own bed every night, and I've been able to rediscover my car hobby.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BayEQok9C7uBcSzM4EeKxIMgvOXjrspoexQEJbuOM9keGY0fDHjrEDXJ0IInErSS