1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/14 2:39 p.m.
maj75 wrote:
Wally wrote: .
THIS, not that. Not feeling your choice for the wheels. Needs lower and spoilers. I'm not a fan of large diameter wheels on muscle cars, but that's just me. I dig the old TA look with fat 15" wheels and tires with flairs and spoilers.

Try finding 200TW tires for a 15" wheel wider than 225mm.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/29/14 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Especially with the kind of overall diameter that works well on older cars.

OP: it's your car--you can call it what you want, and you can define rat rod any way you want. Personally, nothing about it says rat rod to me. I feel the term is overused and applied to everything without polished billet control arms and $15k in paint. Your car looks more or less straight, all the body panels came from the same make and model, and I don't need a tetanus shot just from looking at it. It doesn't have a cartoonishly exaggered profile, and it doesn't look as if you built it just to get attention or to piss off people that do.

As far as I'm concerned, you just have a nice old driver with some nice new parts on it. And that's cool.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/29/14 3:38 p.m.

Cool build!

if you are looking for a label, that car seems more of a Resto-Mod than a Pro Touring car, or a Rat Rod.

Rat Rod--- raw, rusty, flat paint, held together with paperclips and chewing gum

Pro Touring--- massively updated and modified older cars with modern suspension and drivetrain components--- usually extremely expensive builds

Resto- Mod--- mildly modified older car using better / more modern parts but still retaining the original car's character and looks.

whatever you call it.....it's cool!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/29/14 3:51 p.m.

Rat Rod Pro-Touring

A little scrabble gives us: rotting or door pot gout out our tin grit ring torn

So... I'll propose "Torn o-ring" in the gayest way possible.

Javelin
4/30/14 8:50 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Cool build! if you are looking for a label, that car seems more of a Resto-Mod than a Pro Touring car, or a Rat Rod. Resto- Mod--- mildly modified older car using better / more modern parts but still retaining the original car's character and looks. whatever you call it.....it's cool!

Thank you!

NONACK
NONACK Reader
4/30/14 8:56 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Try finding 200TW tires for a 15" wheel wider than 225mm.

Expensive!

Javelin
4/30/14 9:48 a.m.
NONACK wrote:
Javelin wrote: Try finding 200TW tires for a 15" wheel wider than 225mm.
Expensive!

180TW, illegal for all three classes/sanctioning bodies my car could run in.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
4/30/14 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I see... no 15s for you then! Even wide 16" sizes with that TW rating are sparse.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/30/14 9:57 a.m.

Be a man and go to a r-compound class.......some hoosier options in those wider 15" sizes.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/30/14 10:12 a.m.

Build definition?

Driver

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
4/30/14 10:50 a.m.

Joe Touring

Javelin
4/30/14 2:54 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Be a man and go to a r-compound class.......some hoosier options in those wider 15" sizes.

No such thing in the Optima Fastest Street Car, USCA, or Goodguys rules there buddy. Not everyone runs SCCA. (Also my car would be CP already, which is stupid)

Also, a new set of Hoosiers in an appropriate size A6 is more than I have in the whole car.

Javelin
4/30/14 2:55 p.m.
Rad_Capz wrote: Joe Touring

Hell yeah /JoeDirt

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
4/30/14 3:49 p.m.

Agreed. There isn't any Pro-Touring or Rat Rod in evidence there. Just an old daily driver in need of a little work.

Nothing goin' on . . .

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
4/30/14 4:10 p.m.

I actually really like those wheels and think they fit well. Enough sidewall on the tires to make the wheels not look silly under the car and a kind of new old-school design that complement the car's pro-touring-ish style. Good lookin' car in general.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
4/30/14 4:58 p.m.

Besides, he got the wheels cheap

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/14 10:37 a.m.

WINNER! Is that term currently in use, or is it a RadCapz original?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
5/2/14 11:05 a.m.

Pro Beater or Joe Touring sound great to me.

Plus, it's making me want to start working on my Trans Am again, which has been sitting for far too long. It's got some crust, rust, and missing paint, but it sits right on the stock WS6 wheels and fat 255 tires. It looks great as a driveway ornament.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
5/2/14 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Mike, forget the trendy labels. The Javelin is bitchin', doesn't need to be called anything else.

With that said, I like Joe Touring.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
5/2/14 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Just giving you the same hard time you give the rest of us.....my advice, buy a set of 17-18" wheels(plethora of stuff in 5x4.5) and get a nice set of 200tw autox rubber. Your car is far closer to a hipster pro-touring build than a rat rod.

Javelin
5/3/14 11:18 a.m.

So now that the suspension settled, what say you? Still moar low needed?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/14 11:48 a.m.

Looks perfect to me. When are you going to auto X it?

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
5/5/14 11:10 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
WINNER! Is that term currently in use, or is it a RadCapz original?

I read it many years ago on one of the Pro Touring forums when used to describe a budget minded build. I bought the .com address a couple years ago thinking I might use it for something but haven't yet.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/5/14 3:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote: So now that the suspension settled, what say you? Still moar low needed?

Looks pretty sweet Javelin. I'd prefer a hair less rake if it were mine, but with a muscle car it doesn't look out of place.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/14 4:13 p.m.

Still cool. I would add side pipes to my earlier list.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8KRycXXAKOnQeZOx3LFuOXpDmb9G9ojaARDsbgi40irwmo4xLC5wTiNcUU5pj5YT