adrianrodriguez
adrianrodriguez New Reader
11/19/11 7:36 p.m.

I'm so new to this, and caught the bug quickly, now I am feeling withdrawal and feel like the little bit I was learning is slowly vanishing away with the last events already done this month.

How can I practice being a better driver? How can I prepare my car? What can I read/watch to help prepare myself for the next season as well as help me keep learning during the off season?

P.S. I have a 1990 Miata.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
11/19/11 7:43 p.m.

I race karts indoors but it helps that I own an indoor kart track. I think most indoor tracks have specials for people wanting to race during off hours. All I know is that I always do better in the auto-x results at the beginning of the season and I think it's because I race karts all winter.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
11/19/11 8:05 p.m.

There's some good reading suggestions in this thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/best-driving-books/42152/page1/

I would also read as much as you can about your car. There is probably enough information on racing Miatas to give you reading materials for the next 100 years. Inevitably, during the "off season", I always start thinking about modifications. I think mod planning and a project or two is always a good use of the non-race seasons of the year.

There's an age old debate about whether karting or sim racing are useful. Karting isn't available around me, so I can't really comment on that, but I have done some sim racing. Honestly, I'm not sure whether its useful or not. I did find that racing fast cars on small tracks was the best form of sim practice for me. I found that it helped me a little bit at picking up corner apexs, picking lines from corner to corner and quick decision making. (A force feedback wheel helps with realism) Might not really help that much, but it is fun.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
11/19/11 8:30 p.m.

Work on my car.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
11/19/11 9:07 p.m.

Pray for snow.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/11 9:12 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Pray for snow.

Stop doing that.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/19/11 9:17 p.m.

So "Not cool"

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/11 10:50 p.m.

I own my own gokart. There's an unfinished development within kart driving distance so I usually motor over there and burn gas for a few hours.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/19/11 10:51 p.m.

I work. And play video games. And eat.

Drahthaar
Drahthaar New Reader
11/19/11 10:55 p.m.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

And go ice racing! Other Thread

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/19/11 11:22 p.m.

There is no off season down here

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
11/19/11 11:35 p.m.

Another vote for ice racing,I did it for years before I went autox'ing-can't afford to road race and oval track has 0 appeal so..

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/20/11 2:37 a.m.

Prepae for races and thinking about how much more track time I get for my money.

Really though in FL there is no off season.

adrianrodriguez
11/20/11 7:26 a.m.

I am definitely jealous of you guys who don't really have an off season. I am fairly close to the dallas region. (3 hours) So when my Miata has all the Maintenance work done to it, I will more than likely start driving there during our off season here in Oklahoma.

It seems our region is afraid of the cold weather, and therefore there is no racing from December til March :(

I guess Oklahoma is just so unpredictable that they just try to prepare for whatever. I definitely don't want it to snow, because I want to drive the Miata as much as I can.

There are a few road races around here, but the price is way to high for me. A cost for a day is more than two autox races for that month alone.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/20/11 7:51 a.m.

Modify / maintain my car and/or other people's cars.

adrianrodriguez
11/20/11 9:23 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Modify / maintain my car and/or other people's cars.

Don't have the money to modify my car over the winter (Plus I plan on staying in e-stock), or even a warm garage, but maintaining it is definitely going to happen. Also, it's going to be a pizza delivery car for the time being until I find a new job. Got let go at my old one. :( Was an unfair decision, but life happens right....

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/11 9:57 a.m.

Start a fitness regimen -- even if you are already in good shape. Think about the line for every corner you take, even while driving a shopping cart at the grocery store.

Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 Reader
11/20/11 10:12 a.m.

autocross? Oh I missed that again this year. Too busy doing trackdays and drift days :P

I build my car more, and snow drift when I can in the offseason. I want to move to a place thats less cold in the winter months so I don't have to stop :/

~Alex

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
11/20/11 10:24 a.m.

Just think, racing every weekend with a couple of two day events thrown in, all through Janaury and February.

Ice racing of course.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/20/11 10:44 a.m.

Our local sports car club does a winter karting series at our local indoor electric kart track (don't scoff - they're 20hp karts that'll hit 40mph+ on the back straight).

That, and Forza.

adrianrodriguez
11/20/11 10:53 a.m.

I might consider getting a wheel and pedals for my Xbox and Forza. It seems to be the only thing I can do, besides working on the car and improving my driving daily.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
11/20/11 4:58 p.m.
adrianrodriguez wrote: It seems our region is afraid of the cold weather, and therefore there is no racing from December til March :(

Man you "southerners" are lucky. Our "off season" is from the second weekend in November until May most years. And that if the weather cooperates enough for a season ender in November, otherwise its early October. Man, I'm so jealous . . .

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/11 5:01 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Just think, racing every weekend with a couple of two day events thrown in, all through Janaury and February. Ice racing of course.

But I'm sure that you're not praying for snow.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
11/20/11 5:08 p.m.

In reply to adrianrodriguez:

I have a car to build for the 2009 season.

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
11/20/11 5:24 p.m.

Same thing I do during the autocross season.

Don't autocross.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mIhFAOukVjiGRIf3p3zrvvDMX14EhMQOjLfKNsMqRSJfXoaY7oQ4b49OkexXzgsW