Volksroddin
Volksroddin New Reader
7/9/08 6:39 p.m.

Trying to find some info about mustangs a friend thinking of buying anthor friend mustang. All I know is its a little dirty the paint is good and they want 3k for it. the milage is about 170,000. thank for your info

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/9/08 6:46 p.m.

is 3K for the V6 or the V8.

Any pictures?

seems a bit much to me.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
7/9/08 6:57 p.m.

i know alot, what specifically do you want to know? (1997 cobra ESP in development)

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
7/9/08 8:11 p.m.

Mi or km?

Volksroddin
Volksroddin New Reader
7/9/08 9:02 p.m.

I think its a V6 170,miles. 3k$$I thought it was a alot. But i dont much about mustang. I pass the word when I get a chance. My freind is not a "car" person. I've pretty much told them that if they want to commit to it(buying it) that I guse its worth it. I'll corect my self to them latter...set them strait.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
7/9/08 9:13 p.m.

As a current 98 Cobra owner/daily driver, I can say that 3k for a 3.8L car is certainly more than I would pay. The pre-'99 (NPI in the mustang world) 3.8Ls are positively gutless, and known for having head gasket issues.

Also, the gas mileage for the V6 is really not that much better than it is for the V8 cars, which is the one argument that always crops up when someone is looking at a V6 versus a V8.

If this was any other 1995 domestic car with 170k on the odo and a V6 between the fenders, would you still think it was worth $3k?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/9/08 9:18 p.m.

FYI, that generation Mustang has whatmay be the worst ergonomics of any car ever made.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/9/08 9:39 p.m.

seating position isnt bad, i could see the argument on the materials in the lower models...

my friends camaro is much worse.

$3k for a 170k mile v6 is insane.

the 3.8 v6 isnt too sporty of an engine, it dosent have any "song" to it and it feels like it should be in a tractor. (mom had a 94 convertable)

the chassis DOES date back to 1978 and combines about the worst solid rear geometry you can think of with very low roll centered front mac-p with poor camber gain charastics.

the rear is known in some circles as the "quadrabind" 2 roughly parallel lower arms and 2 arms up top that cant in. this is all the lateral location there is in the stock configuration.

salvation can be had, there are parts to fix about any problem with them design wise, but you will eventually end up with a compromised car street wise.

if you want a fast car, your better off with the v8 by a longshot.

they are fun, can be fast, but are raw and unrefined about it.

Also, they are so popular that if you name it someone has tried it on it. There are too many companies that produce things like replacement K-members and parts to change suspension geometeries to pull a list off the top of my mind. (some really good, some really BAD)

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/9/08 9:55 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: seating position isnt bad...

I could not get comfortable in one to save my life. Seats suck, steering wheel in my knees when driving, glove box in my knees when shotgun, more cramped than any CRX, Rabbit, or MG I've ever been in.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
7/9/08 10:27 p.m.

Regarding the seating position, to be comfortable in mine, I find myself sitting a lot more vertically than I would in just about anything shy of a standard-cab pickup.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/10/08 12:20 a.m.

i replaced my seats last year, but i never had a real problem at 6'2" with fit as far as the originals. they were too squishy for auto-x though.

the cobra monaco rebadges did wonders as far as that.

now my friends camaro, in that thing i cant get comfortable at all. legs are too straight out in front of me.

i guess part of it is that i like upright and on the wheel. shoulder planted on the seat and wrist drapable over the wheel.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/10/08 8:15 a.m.

Chick car, which is fine if your friend is a chick.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin New Reader
7/10/08 5:49 p.m.

yes this it for a chick(a hot one at that...and yes my wife knows).

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
7/10/08 8:24 p.m.

There are so many Mustangs out there, I would suggest passing on that one. $3k is a fantasy price for a tired gelding.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zGL1RSM9zoCK4a2vHYHiAGQ0H5OXdhZEkQAA6pIeZQKRHaB8yKZo7bsOIKBRKP2E