Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/26/11 11:24 p.m.

I watched all of the SCCA Runoff video's I could find this weekend for SSB and SSC and it made me curious to learn more about this class.

From searching on the internet I couldn't find a site for it like PT etc. offers and there seems to be very little internet chatter about the class, even the SCCA forum was pretty vacant.

So, I was curious what the GRM community has to share?

A couple of questions that popped into my head off the bat were:

The announcers were touting the low cost of SS classes, it doesn't seem like it would be that cheap considering you're racing a new (less than 10 year old) car. Are costs really lower than other classes?

How fast do you use consumables?

Would it be reasonable to use one of these cars for DD if you are not picky about getting in and out with the cage in the way?

Are the fields very populated? The Runoffs had a full field but is this class dying out?

The announcer made a joke about how a lot of the cars were still under warranty and that shocks would be covered, was he serious or just joking?

Does NASA have an equivalent class?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
9/27/11 2:51 a.m.

More expensive than it used to be..

SS was created by SCCA during the 1970s in an attempt to bring back those days from the 1950s where somebody could just drive to the track, tape over the lights, adjust tire pressures, and go run.

SS got expensive because street cars got better (and more expensive). IMO, only reason it's still around is because the manufacturers support it. Ironic, really..SS was created as a low-budget way to race back when the manufacturers were at war with each other in the "production" classes. (Triumph vs. Datsun vs. Porsche in CProd, for example)

You'd get more bang for the buck in SCCA Improved Touring, Spec Miata, or one of NASA's spec classes (BMW E30/Porsche 944, and they support Spec Miata as well)..especially if you can buy a car instead of trying to build your own.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
9/27/11 4:49 a.m.

I recall from when I was attempting to compete in STU class in SCCA solo that the stock guys ran incredibly expensive remote reservoir shocks and fresh Hoosier A6s - but weren't allowed to touch rear sway bars or springs.

In my region at club races I don't think there are a tiny handful of entries.

DC Region MARRS results 2011

Which at least is more than the 2 of us contesting DSR...

SCCA is good for Miatas and IT cars around here. The NASA format w/ everyone in 3 race groups definitely seems to make for everyone having someone to race.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/11 10:57 a.m.

A friend recently built his Wife's DD 924S into an ITS race car. Its still street legal and he drives it to/from the track while his Wife drives the support vehicle with the spares.

SS was pretty good with the Miata versus Neon battles, the allowance of "trunk" kits is BS and treadwear should match what came from the factory. parts should only be replaced with OEM equivalent (meaning no adjustable shocks)

The real issue, like so many classes, it policing the changes allowed and how well a car meets those requirements. Don't expect the Tech Inspectors to catch it, it is up to your fellow competitors to watch each other and protest when they think someone it cheating.

Cheating was rampant in the SS classes. The Shelby CSX race cars had cheater limited slips (lockers) and special computer programming that would allow extra boost, but would revert to stock settings once the key was cycled. Of course they were cheating to keep up with other cheaters in their class, etc.

Personally? I'd run a regional catch-all class (like Super Production) and just build the car the way you want. You'll still have people to race with and if the car is reliable, you might even get some trophies and dash plaques. If you want to go to the Run-offs, then you'll need to get much more serious in whatever class you choose.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/27/11 8:53 p.m.

What is Super Production? Haven't heard of it.

I'm not sure whether it is worth the risk of racing my DD and balling it up at the track...

pitbull113
pitbull113 Reader
9/27/11 9:49 p.m.

The cheapest way to go SCCA road racing is improved touring.specifically ITC,ITB or ITA. you can find a good mid pack car for around 4k and consumables are cheap...well cheap for racing. Matter of fact my super awesome '92 mazda protege ITA car is for sale for $4300

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/27/11 10:57 p.m.

I've thought a lot about IT or PT racing but the reason SS appeals to me is because of the lack of modifications that raise costs and lower reliability.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/11 11:00 p.m.
Joshua wrote: What is Super Production? Haven't heard of it. I'm not sure whether it is worth the risk of racing my DD and balling it up at the track...

A regional only class that is used as a catch-all for cars that don't fit into an existing class. Not all regions have it.

It wasn't their only DD of course and it was bought with the express purpose of being a race car before being pressed into DD service. Once it needed to come apart of the FOES, clutch and suspension work, it was time to make the transition to race car. It may be technically street legal, but you wouldn't want to drive it very long or very far.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/28/11 12:24 a.m.

I see, well from what I've read on the SCCA forums it doesn't sound like SSC will exist much longer.

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
9/28/11 10:14 a.m.
Joshua wrote: I've thought a lot about IT or PT racing but the reason SS appeals to me is because of the lack of modifications that raise costs and lower reliability.

This is where your wrong! The parts to keep a SS car stock are more expensive then for an IT car and to run at the front in a SS car can cost the same or even more then an IT car. You can buy a Spec Miata ready to race for as little at $7-8K if you look hard and are willing to bargan. An IT car can be had for as little as $2-3K.

What late model SS can can be had and race preped for less then 15K?

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
9/28/11 9:51 p.m.

^What he said^.

SS guys can't do much so they're buying Moton shocks and stuff. Beater IT Golfs are on Koni Yellows.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/28/11 10:51 p.m.

I thought shock replacement wasn't allowed in SS? I have been looking at a few IT Golf's actually.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
9/29/11 1:28 a.m.

There's nothing more expensive than 'Spec' racing. You'll need to buy a $5k motor every year to be competitive at the national level in Spec Miata. You'll need to buy several shocks and have them dynoed so you can find the four that give you the most damping and hope they don't raise a red flag the next time SCCA tech decides to test them.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
9/29/11 5:34 a.m.

The problem with SS racing, is it's all about the car. If you don't have the hot car for that year, you are not going to win. Next year a new hot car can be classed rendering your car obsolete. Doesn't seem to happen as often as it did a few years ago, but it will happen if you decide to run in that class. IT or Spec Miata is the best way to start out if you are looking to go closed wheel racing.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/29/11 9:31 a.m.

What about running an e30 or something German that could be prepped for IT, GTS and BMW Club? I know BMW parts are expensive from a bad experience with my old M3 but maybe I could give it another chance...

This is way out of my price range but...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1682624

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/29/11 9:34 a.m.

I don't care about being nationally competitive because this will be my first real track experience. I am hoping to get to the NASA races on Oct. 8-9 so I can find out what classes are popular here in the "Central Division".

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
awU8rhWqrmMt2JQMmSwC2xxmwyFIT2t8gZj9ip0vegqkwxobxeFir22JlnRUAKRH