1 2
CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/21 10:06 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
CAinCA said:

I also came to the conclusion that the shocks are shot.

Time for some Bilsteins?

Ordered them this afternoon. ;^)

CAinCA
8/27/21 5:43 p.m.

I received the Bilstein 4600s on Monday and installed them yesterday. The originals were all well past their prime but they all still seemed to be somewhat functional. The passenger rear was the worst. It had lost all of it gas pressure. It's no wonder the rear end felt out of kilter.

When I ordered them I was worried that they might be harsh. The ride is firmer but not harsh at all. With the new tires and the shocks it rides pretty similarly to our 2018 Explorer Platinum. 

I'd give them two thumbs up.

Thanks for all of your help.

Opti
Opti Dork
8/27/21 6:00 p.m.

The Michelins are always a winner. The LTX MS2 is a really good snow tire and ride very well but lack much off road capability.

The Michelin LTX AT2 (I may be an iteration behind on this one) isn't as capable off road as some of the more aggressive ATs but they drive like a street tire.

I was in the same boat on my GMT400 a few months back,  minus as much emphasis on snow (wanted a little). I wanted a P tire cause they are cheaper/lighter/ride better and wanted offroad capability, but a nice quiet ride. I went with a P rated Firestone AT2. I've been extremely happy with them.i can't remember if they have the snow rating but I have driven the older version in the snow and it was fine

The Dueler Revos generally drive very nice amd perform well offroad and in snow but limited to no availability in P sizes.

I'm not a fan of the cheaper ats and the older wild peaks because they didn't have full depth siping so at about half tread life tire performance decreased substantially

Opti
Opti Dork
8/27/21 6:07 p.m.

The BFG KO2s are awesome. The are pretty aggressive, and have good road manners for what they are but will still be a little noisier than a good less aggressive at. They wear well compared to others that offer similar offroad capabilities. They are great off road. I believe when they went to the KO2 many sizes got the sever snow rating. They are my normal go to but they weren't available in a p rated tire in my size

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/28/21 2:38 p.m.

I've used Sumitomo and Falkens on my car and other family members vehicles with no issues.

CAinCA
1/1/22 8:23 p.m.

I had my first chance to drive the truck with these tires on in the rain. They have a boat load of traction compared the old tires. For E36 M3s and giggles I did a hard launch at a stoplight and it didn't even break traction. Yes, this truck has 3.55 gears and the peak torque is above 3500 rpm, but still the old tires would have been smoking.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle heavy rain. 

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
1/1/22 8:46 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Good tires.

But certainly not great tires.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
1/1/22 9:13 p.m.

Great tires aren't they?!

I too followed Curtis's advise and put them on my E250. I absolutely LOVE them. Wearing super well after 10k miles. Great on the highway and in the dirt. Quiet as heck. I couldn't be happier.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hIIFzkc9abA1O3QR0Alf23OLfEsDNLQhHtgUxiUY98YWKR7U5wPpOwYC9ZNJBObh