1 2 3 4
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/17/22 2:13 p.m.

I have to say, I'll probably check it out TBH as an appliance. It looks good, has enough power and enough usability. They drive pretty good overall. It has my interest peaked. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/22 2:51 p.m.

I was planning on buying a Mazda CX-30 next November without cross shopping but now we've got a face off.

My current CX-3 was the first car I ever bought that didn't have a manual; can't believe I'm considering a CVT. surprise

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/17/22 5:51 p.m.

poking around, and it looks like the drivetrain talked obliquely about the 5th Gen Prius is already out there in the UX 250h stateside, and in some of the European Corolla Hybrids.  Based on the MPG and 0-60 specs, the Prius looks like it will be lighter, lower, and more aerodynamic than the UX... which I'm seeing at 181hp and 0-60mph in 8.5sec.

it'll be interesting to see more detailed specs on the new Prius begin to come out.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/22 7:31 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Apparently they snuck an extra generation in there that some of us didn't notice.

I'm told the recent hideous goblin ones are fourth generation.

I realize this in hindsight.  I always mentally lumped the 2nd and 3rd together because they are largely the same car, although the 2nd gen drives nicer and has a nicer instrument set.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/17/22 7:34 p.m.

1g and 2g are the closest to the same.  Same platform, and a bunch of the drivetrain is shared.  The just seem different because there was a large change in wheelbase and it went from sedan to hatchback.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/22 7:55 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I like it too. There is a lot of similar design language shared with the Supra, which I think is a good thing. Especially features like this:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/18/22 8:10 a.m.

So, this begs the question:

Since it actually looks good, did Toyota fire their whole design department?

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
11/30/22 1:59 p.m.

I'm honestly very impressed with the new Prius and would actually consider getting one which is something I wouldn't have before. It's got a lot going for it beautiful styling and one of the best looking new vehicles in my opinion. Great performance now the regular ones do 0-60 in 7 seconds. More storage space and the previous ones had more then every compact suv. Lighter and more rigid chassis plus more mpg.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/22 3:24 p.m.

There are rumours swirling of a GR version with more powerful electric motors and greater battery capacity, making for a 260-280hp variant with 100 miles of range in EV mode and 0-60 under 6 seconds. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
11/30/22 3:28 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

There are rumours swirling of a GR version with more powerful electric motors and greater battery capacity, making for a 260-280hp variant with 100 miles of range in EV mode and 0-60 under 6 seconds. 

Depending on price, that might be enough to put another Prius on the list as a replacement for SWMBO's current Prius

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/22 4:09 p.m.

I'm not a Prius guy, but that's pretty darn sharp.

twowheeled
twowheeled Reader
12/1/22 3:24 p.m.

we are probably going to order one. the 2nd gen we had impressed me a lot. That's a car you buy once and keep for 20 years. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/2/22 4:28 p.m.

"What do you think of the new 2023 Toyota Prius?"

I don't. Toyota doesn't really ping my radar anymore, the Prius never has. Life's too short to drive boring cars. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/2/22 5:27 p.m.

That rear end is all Nissan Z 

Not in the market, but looks pretty decent. All previous ones were fuuuugly

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
12/3/22 1:59 p.m.

Was just reading that here in Canada the new Prius will only be available in awd and the Xse and limited trim. Not a big deal as the awd is faster and we have snow. No fwd or le trim here. Also read that the new awd should be a lot better as the old one only had a 7hp motor at the rear but the new one makes 31 hp.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/22 10:02 a.m.

looks like an embargo on test drives conducted during Cali "press launch event" got lifted this morning?  One I watched had a sticker on an AWD model at $35k, and 0-60 in 7.7sec?

I'm really curious to see GRM test one and provide:  1) Curb Weight.  2) Lap Time around FIRM.  3) how does it respond to the TC being turned off?

edit:
Just watched another one that had curb weight of an AWD LTD as "just over 3300#s, as tested"

calteg
calteg SuperDork
12/14/22 10:54 a.m.

I think I'm still psychologically scarred from my Prius C ownership. 

0-60 in 11.2 when it was new...as my battery started failing I'm sure it was taking more than 12 seconds. 

That being said, better looks, way better cargo capacity, 0-60 sprint in half the time, all with slightly better MPGs might be a winner...

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/14/22 4:08 p.m.
Loweguy5 said:

Finally Toyota is embracing the concept of a handsome design in a car that might actually slow down our damage to the planet.

I think in the first few generations they made it intentionally quirky (ugly!?) because many of the early adopter buyers wanted a "look at me I'm saving the planet" style to the car.

I don't think consuming a new vehicle is going to slow any damage to the planet. Quite the contrary. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/15/22 10:30 a.m.
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/15/22 11:13 a.m.

I feel like they had to do something to make it better. All the ones I have driven have been at best described as uninspiring to drive but they had the great mileage and reliability to make a good appliance. I think the problem was becoming plenty of other cars now also do that same thing.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
12/16/22 10:02 a.m.

The Wife currently has a 2013 plug-in and it's an excellent appliance; at just under 200K miles, we've done basically no maintenance except oil changes, tires, and wiper blades. It's returned 50mpg consistently, and the heated seats are nice in the winter. It's not an exciting car by any means, but it's an excellent DD.

This one is just gorgeous. I checked on Toyota's website and the Prime version is said to have 220 horsepower and do 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. So finally, a Prius that's reliable, efficient, and looks and performs well! I would love to have one of these for The Wife. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
12/16/22 10:19 a.m.

Curious where Prime pricing will land.  Surprised that the Prime doesn't have a Build option on Toyota's website yet.  Still a little concerned about headroom and related "roominess" feel.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
12/16/22 10:39 a.m.

as someone who owned the worlds biggest POS lexus CT200h new for 36,000 miles and 13 months - I could see buying one of these finally

What was wrong with the CT200h?  I had 0ne for 5 years and it was fine. No repairs, just a little dull.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/16/22 12:47 p.m.
Aspen said:

as someone who owned the worlds biggest POS lexus CT200h new for 36,000 miles and 13 months - I could see buying one of these finally

What was wrong with the CT200h?  I had 0ne for 5 years and it was fine. No repairs, just a little dull.

Sunroof leak, Serious engine oil leak, rear windows stopped working, lemon law using CA consumer laws. Dull/slow was the least of its problem.  Having owned LS/SC all the time, it taught us a lesson not to buy the entry level junk. We used the lemon to buy wife a LS600hL which has been bulletproof like all our other lexus products. She since moved to  a RCF, and has a IS500 currently on order as a replacement.

Back to topic at hand, Given Rav4 Prime is Toyota's second fastest car, behind the Supra - wonder. how the Prius Prime will fit in that category now.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
12/16/22 2:07 p.m.

Motor Trend has a brief "First Drive" review up and it's pretty positive overall.  There's a comment like "tall drivers, 6'4" and over, won't want to commute in this car" which was my concern.  

This drivetrain + updated everything applied to a small SUV is probably where I'll end up instead of this car.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7mmSt9uiEeuhm0bCm1EJ6KCSl478wX6ZQ1Om23W1TV4kQUw1bNaV04CHrF1U4zYB