1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/13 5:25 p.m.

Unless you really, really need four seats, I'd be looking at a 1st gen Insight if I wanted hybrid + manual.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/27/13 11:32 a.m.
You guys are making this much too hard. Those new Prius Vs have plenty of cargo room, it should be easy to get a manual trans in there. Just make sure to put down a tarp first. No sense in getting fluid on the carpet hauling home parts.

Ive already hauled a trans in our Prius.

Unless you really, really need four seats, I'd be looking at a 1st gen Insight if I wanted hybrid + manual.

Or if you wanted a manual 4dr hybrid, a civic hybrid. I like manuals but my stubborn partner won't drive one and i dont trust the civic hybrid CVT as far as i can throw it, so she drives a Prius now. Im sticking with my Insight. Much easier to mod out.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
11/27/13 12:17 p.m.

The Atkinson cycle engine would be weird to drive with a manual I imagine. Of course you could swap the top-end with the Yaris/Echo/other toyota motor to fix that.

Agreed, if you want a manual, 1st gen Civic Hybrid, or Insight is the way to go.

Now what would be interesting is some manual control over the CVT in the Prius. A paddle to on each side of the wheel to spool up/down in RPM, and a switch to keep the engine engaged would be pretty entertaining. I'd bet a 3rd gen would be a very interesting autox car with that much control.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/27/13 6:39 p.m.

Simulated gears would be ok, but i'd also settle for a mode that keeps the engine and motors spun to the rpm to that makes the most power at any given road speed. In a way that's better than simulating gears anyway because it uses the CVT to have you in the ratio that makes max power at ANY speed rather than you having to keep up with which gear is the best compromise.

But man, if you did anything in that gear other than autocross, the mpg would SUCK REALLY BAD. Like, 23 mpg bad.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/27/13 7:38 p.m.

Its easy, you open the hatch, remove the 3rd brake light, roll it forward and back up a 5 door Yaris in its place, open the hatch and stick the bulb in, done.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/13 8:00 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Its easy, you open the hatch, remove the 3rd brake light, roll it forward and back up a 5 door Yaris in its place, open the hatch and stick the bulb in, done.

Is that like how I'm fixing the rust on my VW by buying a clean, rust-free car, jacking up the license plate, and installing the new car underneath it?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/27/13 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Yup, also sort of like how you fix some of the lower grade AKM builds out there by holding it by the magazine, removing the rifle, and rocking a Norinco on top.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
11/28/13 12:31 a.m.

Not to thread jack but this is my friends blog about his VW tdi motor into a 1st gen Honda insight.

http://www.hondatdi.com/blog/

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/28/13 7:13 a.m.

One of the coolest insight projects ive seen so far was the guy who hooked a 3cyl TDI to the stock trans and managed to retain hybrid functionality.

the hubs themselves are at risk for being stripped out due to the large increase in torque.

Bwahahahahah no.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MvjQ8u6XUtCbwsK4zdQhFgwPGWSfISTKeJfgy56XsOuI2sycRV9sI9laBvyuKnJi