1 2
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
11/26/13 7:42 a.m.

Not sure I'd want to try such a thing (although it may depend on the answer I get here!), but I have yet to see anything with a naturally aspirated four cylinder and an automatic that would not be improved by a stick shift. Are there any Prius manual conversions running around out there? If so, what did it take to pull that off?

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
11/26/13 7:52 a.m.

Remove everything hybrid related, then install another complete transverse drivetrain. That's it. The way the hybrid system is setup, it is all in the transmission. Take that out, and you have an Atkinson cycle motor that will be very underwhelming by itself if imagine

wpcouch
wpcouch New Reader
11/26/13 8:15 a.m.

Put a VW engine/tranny in the trunk. Super-Hybrid.

Storz
Storz Dork
11/26/13 10:09 a.m.

A Honda CRZ

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
11/26/13 10:14 a.m.

You would lose any hybrid benefits in an otherwise lame chassis. What is the point?

Bryce

MadScientistMatt
11/26/13 10:21 a.m.

Ok, I hadn't realized the electric motor was integrated with the transmission on a Prius. I thought it was sandwiched in between, like on a Honda.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/26/13 10:30 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

It's a wacky (if clever) arrangement.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
11/26/13 10:39 a.m.

Much easier to buy a car so equipped.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
11/26/13 10:46 a.m.
Storz wrote: A Honda CRZ

My first thought when I read the title was 'Honda'. They offered the manual in the Insight, the CRZ and the Civic Hybrid.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/26/13 10:55 a.m.

Theres a guy up this way who bought a prius with dead batteries for peanuts......and got rid of all the hybrid stuff. He autox's the car now with a supercharged 4 and manual.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/26/13 12:00 p.m.

The prius body itself is just fine. I'd rather have a prius body than a Vibe or Matrix based on looks alone (yep!). The Prius body's downfall is super boring interior options. An ugly steering wheel and no cool colors or patterns for the interior stuff.

But if you put a 2zz/6spd in a Prius i'd still think it was a cool car.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
11/26/13 12:03 p.m.

Yaris turbo swap! Been thinking about it for a few weeks as well.

Just swap in something better. Rrap the benefits of a clean body, or buy a hyundai

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/26/13 12:03 p.m.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/26/13 12:07 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Theres a guy up this way who bought a prius with dead batteries for peanuts......and got rid of all the hybrid stuff. He autox's the car now with a supercharged 4 and manual.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/13 12:38 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Ok, I hadn't realized the electric motor was integrated with the transmission on a Prius. I thought it was sandwiched in between, like on a Honda.

No, it's kinda neat, the engine and electric motor tie in to a planetary in such a way that the engine can drive the electric motor as a generator, and/or the electric motor can be backfed/add power so that the engine stays at a constant RPM like a CVT.

To say it's "integrated" is an understatement. It's not just part of the trans.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/26/13 12:39 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

If I see him out again, I'll snap pictures/video

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
11/26/13 12:41 p.m.
Vigo wrote: The prius body itself is just fine. I'd rather have a prius body than a Vibe or Matrix based on looks alone (yep!).

I'd rather stab myself in the left leg than stab myself in the right leg or the middle leg. However, I'd rather not stab myself at all if I didn't have to.

Bryce

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/26/13 12:43 p.m.
Knurled wrote: No, it's kinda neat, the engine and electric motor tie in to a planetary in such a way that the engine can drive the electric motor as a generator, and/or the electric motor can be backfed/add power so that the engine stays at a constant RPM like a CVT.

It's genius! It's the best CVT ever made. Also probably one of the most trustworthy 'auto' trans in existence. It does a very fancy function with very simple parts.

I'd rather stab myself in the left leg than stab myself in the right leg or the middle leg. However, I'd rather not stab myself at all if I didn't have to.

Well, i only bring those up because GRM people recommend them sometimes. Really, the only cool thing about them is the 2ZZ option, but i'd rather have a 2ZZ in a prius body than a Matrix.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
11/26/13 1:07 p.m.

+1 for the Prius having an awesome drivetrain design. The car may be boring, but is amazing how many moving parts they get rid of by basing the transmission/hybrid drive off a single planetary gear set.

MadScientistMatt
11/26/13 1:18 p.m.
Vigo wrote: It's genius! It's the best CVT ever made. Also probably one of the most trustworthy 'auto' trans in existence. It does a very fancy function with very simple parts.

Interesting; concerns over the way high mileage automatics hold up was the other reason that the idea of a manual transmission came to mind.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
11/26/13 1:31 p.m.

Why not hook up a geared-down turbocharger to the planetary gearset instead of the hybrid electric motor? :-)

mfennell
mfennell New Reader
11/26/13 2:16 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: +1 for the Prius having an awesome drivetrain design. The car may be boring, but is amazing how many moving parts they get rid of by basing the transmission/hybrid drive off a single planetary gear set.

Random factoids: the Power Split Device used in the Prius is a TRW design published in a 1971(!) SAE paper. The Volt uses the same essential arrangement but the inputs and outputs are different. It also uses a number of clutches to allow more modes of operation.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Reader
11/26/13 2:25 p.m.

Why not just get a true Hybrid the diesel engine they come with a standard transmission.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/26/13 3:06 p.m.

You guys are making this much too hard. Those new Prius Vs have plenty of cargo room, it should be easy to get a manual trans in there. Just make sure to put down a tarp first. No sense in getting fluid on the carpet hauling home parts.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby New Reader
11/26/13 3:12 p.m.

The only mods I'd want to do to a Prius would be to set it on fire or roll it off a cliff, or set it on fire.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EaVfsHWPho2DrV9YRW3cU2LNYfl9ybQTjI13gqcJVCvyHqxG7xqI8tEiZQcEjb9a