AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/12/22 9:49 a.m.

Another trailer thread. Open car trailers are such a convenience. I've been looking at picking one up for a bit, mostly for towing my cars but also for various other chores, both for myself and my family who live nearby. My parents want to haul hay, though they are concerned about the lack of side rails to keep the bales in place, though I don't expect that to be an issue with creative rigging. I'm very excited to be adding this tool to my arsenal very soon.

What other creative uses have you found for your trailer beyond moving a car from one place to another?

Powar
Powar UltraDork
8/12/22 10:10 a.m.

This big entertainment center tried to kill us, but we made it happen.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/12/22 10:32 a.m.

Skids of mulch from Home Depot

Towers of straw bales for the church festival

A few dozen steel benches for the same

My lift

My friend's apartment

Motorcycles

Scrap to the scrapyard

A dining room set my wife bought

The wood that we used to redeck the trailer (so it was kind of like carrying the trailer on the trailer!)

A float in the opening day parade

Lumber and associated supplies to build a fence

Volkswagen bits

I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's what I recall.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
8/12/22 10:42 a.m.

Ours is enclosed, so when I first bought it, I immediately turned it into a storage unit...

I used our previous trailer when we moved years ago.  And this was probably the lightest load the trailer has carried... easier than loading it in the back of the truck.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/22 10:43 a.m.

Most of the time it's hauling around the skid steer. But it's a heavy duty trailer so it comes in handy for hauling just about anything. 

Regarding hay bales, I see them being hauled on open trailers 95% of the time so it shouldn't be an issue. Some trailers have pockets for 2x4's welded on (like mine) so it's easy to build sides for it. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/12/22 11:00 a.m.

Mine has stake pockets down the side.

We built 4' tall wood sides for it and moved all our worldly goods in it.

Buy one with side rails or at least stake pockets, you'll need them to tie stuff down.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/22 11:22 a.m.

Rented soft serve ice cream machine for an open house. 

Pick up truck would have been better, but we have a Tahoe, so trailer. 

Also, having convenient, on-site  access to soft serve ice cream is a real (probably failed) test of self control. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/12/22 11:45 a.m.

My lift:

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/12/22 11:55 a.m.

My open trailer had stake pocket sides and the previous owner had built wooden sides for it, so when I moved to a new place, I threw everything I owned either in the Denali or on the trailer and dragged it over. Was great.

I later moved to an enclosed trailer and while it's mostly used for cars, I did use it to help my parents move 3+ hours away. This photo was taken as we were rolling out. Trailer held my mom's Chrysler Crossfire and as many boxes as we could pack around it. Truck's back seat was full to the roof and we threw a bunch of lawn and garden stuff in the bed. 

"What's payload?"

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
8/12/22 11:58 a.m.

A trebuchet.

Lots of other things, like lumber, hay, trencher, scrap metal, parade float, etc.

FieroReinke
FieroReinke Reader
8/12/22 12:47 p.m.

Early 1900s letterpress printing machine and thousands of pounds of lead type to go with it.   This is the wife's hobby.  I keep telling her that even though I have more car stuff, her hobby weighs more than mine and at least mine has wheels.   

I have also carried the kids swing set and also a hand made 8' x 12' playhouse stick built like a house with doors; windows, and. Asphalt roof.   

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
8/12/22 12:49 p.m.

Pullmax nibbler on an open trailer and hauled 400 miles.....

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/22 1:48 p.m.

I moved in my 20' enclosed trailer. 

My open trailer has hauled a little bit of everything. This was probably the worst. So much weight in such a small footprint. 

20200425_110643_HDR.jpg

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/12/22 2:15 p.m.

Car trailer? I actually have not owned one... have rented a u-haul trailer that pulled nice. 
Open deck? I have everything from a single axle 5' 9" x 13' to a 20 ton triple axle deck over. And have hauled various cars on all of them... as well as most anything you could name!

moved my 1942 Reed-Perntice lathe (about the same footprint as  Toyman's above, but much more "robust" ) on the single axle. But had enough truck it worked out. Slightly sway backed from side to side, now, but not much!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/12/22 2:24 p.m.

my friends low boy is my favorite to load anything that rolls:

we never get around to mounting a hammer store wench, so I backed it under this. 

that didn't work on this one, so I unhooked and pulled it on with the truck!

These fit under "other"... they are scrap metal, not cars!!!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/12/22 2:42 p.m.

Its a bit stout to be called a car trailer, but I added my Bridgeport to this load, to collect my stuff from three places I had junk stashed in VA, to load on the big trailer moving stuff to AL. 
It has moved a number of cars as well. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/12/22 9:47 p.m.

I've used my open trailer for everything from appliances to dirt.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
8/14/22 1:07 a.m.

No pictures of any of this as they were hauled years ago. 

A lathe.

A Harley motorcycle.

A garden shed.

A big load of wood timbers to make a big bonfire.

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
8/15/22 8:39 a.m.

Open bed wooden deck trailers are the swiss army knife of trailers.  You can screw together whatever you want on them.  

Stone/mulch wrapped in a tarp

Built plywood box and used as a dumpster on job sites(mostly roofing jobs)

Hauled all the wood to build my 22X32 two story garage.

Hauled stone countertops, and 6' sliding glass doors upright.

A Bridgeport milling machine, tire machine, and other shop equipment.

Wooden swingset.

Ladders.

Riding lawnmower.  

You name it.  Best part is you can screw together whatever contration you need to haul whateven you need.  Build it and screw it to the deck.  When you are done, unscrew it and now you have some spare 2X4s for another project.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/15/22 8:42 a.m.

Oh, I almost forgot...  I also hauled a wampa cave at least once.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/22 12:56 p.m.

I've hauled a lot of things that weren't cars on my car trailer.

Here's some random things that I quickly found photos of.

A stainless table top that I was repairing.  It's backed in the shop to keep the sheilding gas from being blown away while I weld up the damage.

All the radiators from the 100+ year old house that my Dad and I renovated.

A bunch of wire shelving that was donated to a thrift shop in a low income area of North Central Maine.

16' Decking for a bridge I was repairing.

A 16 passenger canoe.  

About 8k lbs of rough cut lumber.  Not smart on a 7k GVWR trailer.

I've hauled a couple of milling machines (not at the same time) a lathe, several motorcycles a piano, dirt and gravel (with sides on the trailer) and I've helped a bunch of people move.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
8/16/22 10:14 a.m.

I went with an enclosed trailer and it's doubled as a moving van for the eldest child.  And more moves are in the near future.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QFjTkJQ9YZXaKpq88DVx72C8b6wfhyl9VyBBYGQo2ctCfpBVMwwgK34haBdFVeOH