1 2 3
Luke
Luke SuperDork
2/18/10 9:49 p.m.

Awesome. But surely that'll earn him a tar and feathering...unless you have a particularly liberal English car club.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
2/19/10 8:23 a.m.

Problem with doing engine swaps with E-types is that the engine cradle is made of some very thin wall tube that does not take well to being hacked about with and will not tolerate fools or incompetence while retaining its integrity.

Simply drilling a through hole to bolt on a set of airhorns can wreck the thing.

Proceed with caution. I would just hot rod the late model engine; its already in there!

Pete

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/19/10 8:28 a.m.

He has a couple other Jags too, including an 6 cyl E type. We're pretty open minded. There's a Chevy V6 MGB, MGB with an AC body kit, SBC Jag or two, year before last we had a Maserati Birdcage replica at the show, with a Maser V8 motor (still not real sure how we rationalized that as English), Honduh VTEC Civic (it was actually made in England). Our show has a "No Q-Tips" rule.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/19/10 8:33 a.m.

Don't like blonde kids? I dislike ash-holes myself, but since I am one now I am a little more tolerant.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
2/19/10 8:49 a.m.

To Dr. Hess: maybe the Maserati V8 got reciprocal privileges at the English show because it leaked oil...?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/19/10 8:54 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Problem with doing engine swaps with E-types is that the engine cradle is made of some very thin wall tube that does not take well to being hacked about with and will not tolerate fools or incompetence while retaining its integrity. Simply drilling a through hole to bolt on a set of airhorns can wreck the thing. Proceed with caution. I would just hot rod the late model engine; its already in there! Pete

And that's why I get the heebie jeebies when I see a Jag subframe cut to stick a motor in it when the car's structural integrity could be seriously compromised. The Jag's monocoque body structure design and its resulting rigidity is pretty damn good for early '60's engineering. Slice on it at your peril; to me it makes no sense to chop out sections of frame rail and then try to regain the lost rigidity with the 'bat wings' on the sides of the engine compartment on the black car. That will restore side to side strength but does little or nothing for the torsional rigidity which is more important for handling.

The Jag motor is an engineering marvel- for its time. It's tough as nails and looks sooooo cool, I heart them. But they have drawbacks like being really heavy and large for their power output.

As mentioned earlier, there are some very nice Toyota DOHC I6's which would drop weight and add performance without involving major chopping.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
2/19/10 9:41 a.m.
mw wrote: My dad is a great fabricator and has built many lotus 7 replicas ... Keeping the jag engine is not a bad option

Hmmmm .... You have experience with Lotus 7 replicas If you do a swap, you'll have a spare Jag engine.

Can you say Jag-Locost?

r33_dan
r33_dan
4/21/10 10:23 p.m.

Any update on this project?

Im 23 years old from NZ, My father inlaw is currently Building a 1966 E type, Fuel injecting and Turboing the 4.2 xk engine, Has 5 speed box, and thousands spent in all directions.

I myself own a 1997 Nissan Skyline gts25t,

Has Rb25det engine from factory. I have installed New turbo, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, wastegate, exhaust etc etc has seen me with 280kw at the wheels, around 480 engine hp, there is also a 3 litre block you can put the twin cam rb25 head on, my mates we built has 397 kw at wheels, around 650hp at fly, very easy to find parts, and easy to mod, smaller dimensions than an xe engine to!

If you run a Skyline engine I can supply all the info you need, most likley a chipped factory ecu to run your mods also!

For example, Stock Rb25det with, larger intercooler, Walbro 500hp pump, boost increase, tuned on dyno (chipped stock computer, I could get a copy of the chip) will see over 220kw at wheels (300hp) (375 engine hp)

In NZ on top of buying motor this is $1000nz worth of mods!

Rb20 turbo engine or factory non turbo engines can get to the 375 engine hp easily also, stock internals

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/21/10 11:56 p.m.

RBs are tough as nails, but the big issue is we never got them state side-in anything. Any part, from go fast to stock is more or less a special order.

Do the supra motor and make yourself a vintage looking valve cover and a few other bits of subterfuge. Done.

r33_dan
r33_dan New Reader
4/22/10 1:43 a.m.

Fair call if parts are hard, could always get a bulk order of parts from here in NZ Check out or www.trademe.co.nz (like your ebay) and ul c how much stuff around

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
4/22/10 6:15 a.m.

My buddy's got two Jag rear ends if anyone's in the market. Independent with the inboard brakes.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd New Reader
4/22/10 7:29 a.m.
klipless wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: ... it'd have to be something with cylinders
There's the problem right there, you're limiting yourself to engines with cylinders. I still stand behind my 13B suggestions.

I'll see your 13B suggestion and raise you a 4 rotor conversion.

Should be plenty of room.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
4/23/10 9:13 a.m.

Go for torque and be original. Six cylinder diesel with some turbos and electronics will create a fabulously entertaining car! Yes the jag people will throw rotten tomatoes at you, but did you not set out to be original in the first place? You can throw back chunks of burning rubber.

Good news here is that the diesel is most likely going to be lighter than the jag six; now sure why there is o much cast iron in a brit engine, but they sure are heavy.

A third thing to think about is that the subframe that carries the front of the car does not take lightly to be messed with. It is quite thin metal and might even be chrome-moly from rumours I have heard.

On the less original side, I have to say the supra six would be the way to go.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
4/23/10 11:50 a.m.
914Driver wrote: My buddy's got two Jag rear ends.

I bet he walks funny.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/10 12:27 p.m.

Draguar:

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
4/23/10 9:40 p.m.

I like the ITB MSEFI jag engine idea. I can't believe I'm even saying this, but still, a shame to swap out such a pretty, strong engine, with good potential for power with less trouble than a swap. I've done a swap, and its been a pain in my scrotum for 7 years. Fun, but a pain in the scrotum.

Oh, and for those who think it will be neat irony to have someone swap a BMW S54 in, there is a certain history that might be worth looking at. Yes, we are 65+ years down the road, but look at some before/after photos of Coventry in the 40's and you might think its a little more than your garden variety blasphemy to perform such a swap. I had an old guy in L.R. Arkansas corner me in an AF O club when I was going to C130 school in the early 00's, and told me a firsthand story of growing up during the second war in Coventry, pictures and all. Wow. If you are less than fully aware, Coventry was the home of Jaguar. That they were able to produce arguably the most beautiful car of all time 15 years after the massive bombardment of England is a stinking miracle.

Obviously this is overthinking it quite a bit, but what the hell.

Back to topic.

mkviiifan
mkviiifan
8/28/10 12:36 a.m.

In reply to Schmidlap: Those are awesome engines. I have one witha an erocharger on it making 410 hp with 6 lbs boost and a mega squirt. They were designed to be either a deisel or gas engine and will stand up to 800 hp stock bottom end. Also the heads bolt on a v12 block for someone with too much money on their hands, that could be a fun project. I just put a 331" sbf in my 69 xke 2+2. Not qiut done yet

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AWNTjmjo1PHF0vyecZB3Y1NH5QfdwYGNbZafUUn9oDfHQwp8jLenLZaK6PCtGiT1