1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/17/21 1:11 p.m.
feature_image

This largely original 1953 Porsche 356 is set to go across the auction block later this month, though it’s missing one crucial component: an engine.

Since many of us enjoy armchair project car building, what engine would you put in this 356? Would you go original with a period-correct Type 369, or maybe go all out with a turbocharged Subaru …

Read the rest of the story

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/17/21 1:16 p.m.

I have a hard time improving on Seth's idea (but the site says it is only available in their outlaw cars).

I'd probably clean it up and put the hottest aircooled Vdub I could find, and just enjoy it. That or a 914 engine.

I'd sell it for some insane amount of money and buy a different car. 

Unless I had too much money and wanted to troll the world. Then it would get a Kubota diesel. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/21 1:25 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a hard time improving on Seth's idea (but the site says it is only available in their outlaw cars).

I'd probably clean it up and put the hottest aircooled Vdub I could find, and just enjoy it. That or a 914 engine.

Kustom Craft Works here in GJ did just that. Built a SoCal bug style 356. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/17/21 1:39 p.m.

Why not an electric powerplant?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/17/21 1:40 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Why not an electric powerplant?

Because reproductions of this car exist that would be more appropriate for that. 

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/17/21 1:41 p.m.

"Would you go original with a period-correct Type 369"...? Yes, I'd go original on that one. I wouldn't put any Suba engine in anything.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/17/21 1:42 p.m.

I came here to mention the same Emory engine as Seth already has.  With a current bid of $25K and a projected sale price of, you better be sitting down for this, $50-60K I think any buyer would want an engine that's at least heavily related to something from Porsche.  If someone wants an outlaw 356 (cope, convertible or speedster) these days with a non VW/Porsche engine I'd start with a replica.  Heck you can buy a turn key 356 replica with VW engine from JPS for just over $40k and can add a Scoobie engine from them for less than the projected sale price of this lawn ornament.   

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/17/21 2:30 p.m.

I'd find a super 90 to put in it and enjoy the berkeley out of it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/17/21 3:13 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

Unless I had too much money and wanted to troll the world. Then it would get a Kubota diesel.

This.  I do not worship in the Cult of the Bathtub Porsche.  I would absolutely take advantage of... I mean, provide a path to nirvana for someone who does.  For a nominal service charge, of course.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/17/21 3:17 p.m.

I thought the answer on engine swaps was always LS3. 

3/17/21 3:40 p.m.

IT may not be a Kubota, but it is 1.6 TD from a VW Quantom.

I've lost touch with the rally community in SE Mi over the last few years, but there was a dentist who's wife co-drove an ex Prodrive Group N Scoobie that was building a stage rally 356, not an oil burner, but some form of AC VW, possibly a Type IV I forget.  I know it was progressing slowly from around the turn of the century through around 2010.  Last I heard either he or his wife passed, but I forget which.  Maybe one of the other Michigan peeps on here knows.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/17/21 3:43 p.m.

Rotary.

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
3/17/21 4:23 p.m.

Since the question was what motor would you put in this car, I would go for one of the 1.5ish four cams, original if it could be found or one of the New / Old motors like the Emory or the Capricorn.

But since I'm not in the Tax Bracket to consider that project, I would sell it and get a 2012 Cayman R...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/21 4:53 p.m.

Here's that local one. I think it was built with a 60 hp VW motor or something like that. The build thread seems to have vamoosed, although I think it did show up in Hot Rod.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/17/21 4:57 p.m.

Depends what's most important. Given that it's going to go for $50K+, I'd spend that on something else.

"If" forced to answer the question, I'd put in a period correct engine, sell it, and go do something else.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/17/21 4:59 p.m.

Gotta have a Jaguar V12.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/17/21 5:33 p.m.
chandler said:

Gotta have a Jaguar V12.

BBC are better in every way....

3/17/21 5:40 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
chandler said:

Gotta have a Jaguar V12.

BBC are better in every way....

Except in Coolness and the ability to build 500hp for pocket lint, just ask Frenchyd!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/17/21 5:52 p.m.

I can't decide between 2 or 3 paths. 

1: Front Engine Big Cadillac engine, Full Gasser conversion.

2: Rear Engined, Long Travel Suspension, Subaru H6 off road buggy

3: Full stance works wet dream car build, V6/V8 2 stroke outboard motor.

I mean since we are going ridiculous.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/17/21 6:08 p.m.

are you going to show off the engine or just go fast ?

Go fast is any modern  4 cyl twin cam turbo motor like the Ford Ecoboost ., 200 HP 

Show off is a VW based 2.2 liter with 911 Porsche fan and Weber 48 IDAs

Lee
Lee UberDork
3/17/21 6:14 p.m.

Yamaha Vmax

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/18/21 1:20 a.m.

In reply to Lee :

I beleive you just won the internet today!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/18/21 5:29 a.m.
Duke said:

This.  I do not worship in the Cult of the Bathtub Porsche.  I would absolutely take advantage of... I mean, provide a path to nirvana for someone who does.  For a nominal service charge, of course.

Same. Although if I had to keep it, I'd install one of those Motus V4s. It takes design cues from the LS motor but is a clean sheet design, makes 180hp/123lb-ft from 1650cc.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TyXqh3RqRvuzxdLBLZn0oeJacYgfGUFeQKUDBaTZqJ3em99USGPSCKjrvFKedrrk