1 2 3 4
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/22 3:36 p.m.

In reply to husky450cr :

OMG my hyper-step drill bits.  Amazing.  They do not walk and they cut amazingly fast, through anything.  Just NYEEEROUM through steel, iron, hardened bolts...

I think the set was $450?  Machinists would shrug at the price, hobbyists would cringe...

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/23/22 3:53 p.m.

Sort of what wae said:

Air Conditioning for the shop.   

When its 101 outside and 72 in the shop, productivity is much better.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/22 6:32 p.m.
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/22 6:42 p.m.

Race ramps

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/22 7:07 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

They're not expensive, but these exhaust hanger pliers are worth way more than they cost. They save so much aggravation and effort.

They are awesome, but they don't work on VWs.  We broke a set trying to get the exhaust off a 2018-ish GTI.

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
6/24/22 9:32 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

better not forget the oxy-acetylene torch for bending, shaping, shrinking, heat treating, annealing, loosening stuck fasteners, cutting thick metal...

oh....and weld steel, braze copper, brass, solder copper pipe....

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
6/24/22 9:52 p.m.

In reply to bigeyedfish :

with heating, air conditioning, toilet, sink....

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/22 8:41 a.m.

Nut splitter

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
6/25/22 11:19 a.m.

We have been using DeFault, Makita and Milwaukee 7" sanders for decades. We bought a Fein with integrated dust collection. Oh my. Just the built in dust collection saved enough sandpaper from clogging that it paid for itself in a year of use. Not to mention that it's smaller and lighter than the other sanders.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/25/22 12:02 p.m.

I have a set of Matco ratcheting  long handle wrenches that are amazing, they were real money but I happily ponied up for the full metric and standard sets.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
6/26/22 1:58 p.m.

Knipex Pliers Wrench and Cobra pliers. I've tried cheaper versions of both and pale in comparison. 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/27/22 2:01 a.m.

Got a previous version of one of these about 6 years ago. More of a contractors tool than a mechanics tool.  Love this thing:

https://www.hilti.com/medias/sys_master/images/h07/h91/9532036546590.jpg

As cordless impacts go, it's tiny and light.  Claims 157ft-lbs, but it took off my Miata axle bolts this weekend without a sweat, removed the been-on-there-years lugnuts from the E350, and got the crank bolt off the K20 after we had given up on it with breaker bars and even the monster Milwaukee 1/2" hi torque impact.  That last one might well have been pure luck in trying one last time on a bolt that had already been loosened, but our general despair turned around real quick.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SupSufSV4CnwRms1EGBooKi5fkDsJsvI4Um1UDtbCx3OO9DLQizxh4RTdIls6CJW