vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/17 8:37 p.m.

Gonna drop the TBI from the Safari V8 build. The ecm can't handle the cam. I have the Edelbrock that was on the engine originally. My question is what regulator to install to drop the fuel pressure to more usable level from TBI to carb? What do I do about the return line also? Would like to do on the cheap side too. Because GRM, of course!

In case you asked, SBC 350 with 700r4 trans.

Thanks!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/2/17 8:44 p.m.

Im using a chinese copy of the aeromotive bypass regulator on the challenge car. Jury still out on how well it takes a high pressure efi pump to carb.

But for a tbi pump to carb, should be fine. It was 30 bucks. Uses a return to the tank. Perfect for this.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/2/17 8:45 p.m.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/172428501464

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/2/17 8:54 p.m.

I'm using one like this on the Sportster: cheap fpr

as seen here:

I did have to replace the gauge, as it was a POS. Didn't leak, but didn't last long. Granted, not much lasts long on a solid mount Sportster, but others have had similar experiences.

vwcorvette
5/4/17 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Don't think that will work. Need return line like one Dusterbd13 recommends.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/4/17 8:17 p.m.

That one has a return line. It's the line on the bottom. You can see it in this picture T'ed into the feed line off the bottom of the gas tank:

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/4/17 10:24 p.m.

TBI to carb, just about any cheap junk will work for a little while. You are just going from, what, 12psi? down to 5 or 6. That's pretty easy.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/5/17 8:54 a.m.

I missed the carb part. That is an EFI regulator I have on the Sportster. Not sure it would work down to 5 or 6 PSI. Might, and for under twenty bucks, I think it would be worth a try. All the fittings it comes with are worth that. I run it at 35 PSI.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/5/17 9:11 a.m.

So far our bypass regulator has worked great for an e2000 high pressure pump down to 7psi.

vwcorvette
5/5/17 7:45 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: So far our bypass regulator has worked great for an e2000 high pressure pump down to 7psi.

Going to order the eBay faux and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion.

vwcorvette
5/10/17 8:03 p.m.

So a friend suggested I don't need a regulator with a return line as I switch over to carb from tbi. So what do I do about the return line on the van then?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/10/17 8:07 p.m.

I prefer the return. More stable pressure, and less chance of heat soak/ vapor lock

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
5/10/17 8:36 p.m.

TBI is the problem not the cam.

You want TPI and an ECM you can tune.

You will have to have a return line, you cannot dead head a EFI pump.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/17 8:41 p.m.

There are returnless regultors out there, but I would not trust them. Use a return type.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
5/10/17 9:47 p.m.

A returnless regulator will dead head an EFI pump.

You cannot dead head an EFI pump.

vwcorvette
5/11/17 8:15 p.m.
bentwrench wrote: TBI is the problem not the cam. You want TPI and an ECM you can tune. You will have to have a return line, you cannot dead head a EFI pump.

Yes, the cam is not the problem. I know this. But I don't want to spend cash chasing a tune to compensate for it when I can put the carb on this engine since it came off of it.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
5/11/17 9:06 p.m.

This looks relevant to my very similar project.

jere
jere HalfDork
5/12/17 8:43 a.m.

I use aeromotive, not exactly cheap but cheaper than buying another car or motor when the cheap one turns into a flamethrower

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LxBK5bj125pTauGAd9f2GxwYJKzN5KAT67fYyplC6LpX0U5QC957JJG3MNkV9Fkr