z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/19/20 6:47 a.m.

So long story short, I may let my girlfriend start driving/paying for my Mazda 3 and get a fun car for myself. This allows her to get out of a crappy loan, drive something newer and nicer, lower expenses for both of us, and me get a less boring car to drive again.

The only way I'm comfortable doing so is to keep the budget around $10k. 

So of course my first thought was newest/nicest NC I can find. Manual, RWD, what else am I not thinking of?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/19/20 6:52 a.m.

You've already done the FRS/BRZ and Mustang thing, right?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/19/20 7:03 a.m.
Ian F said:

You've already done the FRS/BRZ and Mustang thing, right?

Yeah, had a '15 BRZ and a '13 Mustang GT. I did have an '06 350Z as well, but I know how bad the interior in mine was wearing at 4 years and 26k miles.

I wouldn't be against another Coyote car, even with the live axle. But I'm guessing there is nothing in the condition I want at that price. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/19/20 8:19 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Might be able to find a Coyote-mobile at an auction with some mild damage?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/19/20 9:36 a.m.

I got my 987 Boxster in that price range. There are a lot of fun BMWs to be had under $10K, my favorite of which to drive hard is the Z4 3.0i.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/19/20 11:20 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Might be able to find a Coyote-mobile at an auction with some mild damage?

I could, but that wouldn't be the ideal scenario. I'll take a look around and see what prices on those look like. 

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
2/19/20 11:26 a.m.

Here is a different choice.  

Hyundai Genesis Coupe.  They are read drive, good motors. Could be fun.

In other more known camps, there is the Porsche 944 and there are some 944 Turbos to be had for under 10.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/19/20 11:38 a.m.
Mike924 said:

Here is a different choice.  

Hyundai Genesis Coupe.  They are read drive, good motors. Could be fun.

In other more known camps, there is the Porsche 944 and there are some 944 Turbos to be had for under 10.  

I've always wondered about those, typically ignored them because I remember the V6 was as heavy as Mustang GT or pretty close. But that could be a good idea. Is there a decent aftermarket for them?

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
2/19/20 11:46 a.m.

how much practicality you need here? C5 Vetts can be had under 10k.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/19/20 11:50 a.m.
TGMF said:

how much practicality you need here? C5 Vetts can be had under 10k.

Practicality? None. That's why my first thought was NC Miata.

We have no kids or anything like, and if I need a truck for something we just rent one or I buy a friend lunch.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
2/19/20 12:20 p.m.

Yeah, my first thought was NC2 Miata, '11+ v6  Mustang, or 3v s197. 

I think also an e46 330i zhp would fit the bill, but would be hesitant to suggest an m3 in that price range. A well kept facelifted manual 540i can be had all day for <10k. 

I think the classic fun non-miata <10k answer around here is a c5.   

Other options that I've been tempted by lately are the 500 abarth and Fiesta ST. Kinda shocked how cheap used FiSTs are right now. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/20 12:22 p.m.

Exocet

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/19/20 1:04 p.m.
penultimeta said:

Yeah, my first thought was NC2 Miata, '11+ v6  Mustang, or 3v s197. 

I think also an e46 330i zhp would fit the bill, but would be hesitant to suggest an m3 in that price range. A well kept facelifted manual 540i can be had all day for <10k. 

I think the classic fun non-miata <10k answer around here is a c5.   

Other options that I've been tempted by lately are the 500 abarth and Fiesta ST. Kinda shocked how cheap used FiSTs are right now. 

I'm pretty much over BMWs at this point. After my 135i started showing/making signs of rod bearing failure and just all the other little things, I've owned 4 BMWs, only thing I would consider is an E30. But I don't really want to go back to DD'ing one of those.

I did see a few clean Coyote cars in the $14-16k range, but I really don't want to spend that much.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
2/19/20 1:09 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

That's fair. They are a labor of love for the DIYer, so really annoying for simple DD. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
2/19/20 1:09 p.m.

NC2 Miata. Should be easy to get rid of in a couple years or easy to hang onto if the girlfriend falls in love with it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 1:13 p.m.

Your budget should just about stretch to a decent AP1 S2000.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/19/20 1:20 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

NC2 Miata. Should be easy to get rid of in a couple years or easy to hang onto if the girlfriend falls in love with it.

Yeah, I found a pretty clean NC3 I'd be willing to stretch the budget for if needed. Already sent her the ad, she loves it. 

But her demand to keep dogs, means she needs something with more room when taking all 3 at a time to the vet, or to be boarded if we are headed out of town.

Hadn't really considered an S2000. I figured anything not driven into the ground by now would be $$$$

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 1:21 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

The AP2s (2.2L) are still between $15k-$20k+ for a nice one, but the older 2L ones (9k redline! Yo!) can be found in that price range in pretty decent condition. Yeah, you can also find really grotty ones for even less.

One thing to keep in mind is that parts prices for them seem to be considerably higher than for Miatas.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
2/19/20 1:37 p.m.

Another vote for C5, although you'll have to drop your budget a but to include jean shorts and white new balance low tops.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
2/19/20 4:03 p.m.
ebelements said:

Another vote for C5, although you'll have to drop your budget a but to include jean shorts and white new balance low tops.

Hahaha, classic

and Yes I vote for a Vette or s2000, GTO maybe if you can get past the aesthetics??

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R0YG6XejAytr9jUY8PPVoI4iH41XeS4SIWyNMhSQJa80le3hecSzqSV4j7wIGkPu