1 2 3 4
1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
3/13/21 7:38 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That's commonly referred to as "decaping" injectors. Subaru guys did it for a long time, turbo ls guys have been doing it for the last decade. But with 12 cylinders each injector shouldn't need to be that large. In fact I might have done the math in another thread. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/13/21 10:31 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

It's not just turbo, its turbo+ E85. My computer program is talking about 560 horsepower.   
One I did the math on is the Trailblazer /Envoy Atlas engine. But they didn't have those in flex fuel sizes. ( at least I've never seen them). 

Edit; 36 pound injectors were recommended but that didn't include E85.   My thinking was getting 2 sets of flex fuel injectors from Chevy's and de capping them. That way I have 4 spares in case one or two is inop. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
3/14/21 7:06 a.m.

Each 36lbs injector can flow enough for 50hp on gas. Roughly...

What style injector does the Jag use? 
I'm sure there's something oe in the junk yard that will work. Or decaped ls truck injectors should be overkill. They usually flow almost 60lbs from what I remember. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/14/21 8:20 a.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Thank you. I love it when people translate information to forms I can understand. 
   The early Lucas injectors used by Jaguar are around 30 pounds as near as I can remember (that's based on 30 year old memory, suspect at best). 
      Then every change after that reduced the size.   
   I'd like to use GM fuel rails. Since the Lucas rails are so hard to put together and prone to leak.  The best solution is the GM Atlas engine which was "created" right after GM failed to buy Jaguar.  And thus used the same bore spacing as the Jaguar six cylinder.  ( the later all aluminum, 4 valve per cylinder version) which was created out of an unsuccessful attempt to put 4 valves per cylinder on the V12.  

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
3/14/21 10:03 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

So there's your answer. 2 atlas fuel rails and 2 sets of decaped truck injectors. Set up a little test bench with a fuel pump and keep the 12 with the best looking spray pattern after you decap them. 

If this weren't a budget build I would say send the decaps away and get them tested...but sometimes you gotta live on the edge. 

There is no magic in a fuel injectors, it's a basic solenoid. When it gets power and ground it's open the fuel flows through the measured orifice at the tip. When you removed the tip the new restriction is the "valve" in the injector. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/14/21 11:17 a.m.

That is the answer.  What I've been told  is nice clean injectors sell for $5 each at pick a part  while dirty plugged injectors sell for $1 each. 
I have cleaned injectors in the past by soaking them in alcohol and then pulsing them under pressure until they flow clean. 
since  the difference is $64, I'll clean them.  
     Now all I've got to do is find a bigger fuel pump that will fit in my Jaguar's gas tank. 
   Before I start asking about that though I'd better pull off the access cap and see how big I'm working with. ( unless for some reason all fuel pumps are the same size.) 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/21 11:57 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

In tank pumps are pretty generic.  I just replaced my Miata one with a generic knock off walbro.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/14/21 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

But can I get one with enough volume to meet my needs? 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/14/21 1:55 p.m.
frenchyd said:

But can I get one with enough volume to meet my needs? 

Googling your individual questions will get much more info than asking this board with 5 people responding. 

There are in tank fuel pumps that feed dodge demons at 900+ hp.

No, I don't know which one it is.

Once you figure out your fuel injectors, take that lb/ he.  Concert lbs to volume and get a pump that runs that much volume / hour plus 25%

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Yes and here's the math for you.  The walbro's are 255lph.

https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5245/~/what-size-fuel-pump-do-i-need%3F

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/14/21 9:57 p.m.

Looks like 225 lph  will be very suitable. 
 Thank you Stampie.  Don't worry, I'm practicing my whining and excuses. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/15/21 8:44 a.m.

Looks like I slept on this thread. Decapping injectors "works" but can lead to ugly fuel distribution/balance issues if you aren't flowing them after and getting a decently matched set. Usually you can find some cheap used 42lb green top injectors that will be plenty big here for E85.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/15/21 8:57 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Since it's a challenge limited budget  I'll decap 16 and select the best 12 after they're cleaned. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/15/21 2:36 p.m.

Not a bad plan.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xFr1WJnFZu6yTwYabZVKBECqnIKCtxkhDvO9FBmlkuZWY0QPoEq9jX1DxJTYDEOw