1 2 3
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/22/14 7:39 a.m.

I want to replace my Civic Si some time in the not to distant future with a sports car. I am looking for something around what I can sell the Si for (probably $4500-$5000) but I am fairly tall (6'3") and I am just not comfortable in a Miata. So far the only options I have really thought of as possibilities is a base Z3 or a '90s MR2 that will get decent gas mileage. But finding an MR2 in decent shape is going to be difficult. Any other ideas? Car will be a daily driver.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/22/14 7:47 a.m.

But it still is the answer. You just have to replace the factory seat with something racier, I dropped about two inches with the corbeau seat. Then an aftermarket steering wheel gives more room and reach to your driving position. I even replaced the door liners on my '97 with ones from a '90 that don't have the shoulder bulge to pick up another 1.5" of shoulder room.

It's like a cadillac inside now!!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/22/14 7:49 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: But it still is the answer. You just have to replace the factory seat with something racier, I dropped about two inches with the corbeau seat. Then an aftermarket steering wheel gives more room and reach to your driving position. I even replaced the door liners on my '97 with ones from a '90 that don't have the shoulder bulge to pick up another 1.5" of shoulder room.

I have driven an NB with an aluminum racing seat bolted straight to the floor while I fit, I am not sure if it is for me.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/22/14 7:58 a.m.

C4 corvette. You'll fit great and they are great driving cars. Bitch to get in and out of for me.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/22/14 8:18 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I want to replace my Civic Si some time in the not to distant future with a sports car

By "Sports car" do you mean strictly 2 seaters, or are 2+2s and coupes in consideration too?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/22/14 8:37 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I want to replace my Civic Si some time in the not to distant future with a sports car
By "Sports car" do you mean strictly 2 seaters, or are 2+2s and coupes in consideration too?

Prefer strictly 2 seaters but I would consider 2+2s and coupes.

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
9/22/14 8:46 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: But it still is the answer. You just have to replace the factory seat with something racier, I dropped about two inches with the corbeau seat. Then an aftermarket steering wheel gives more room and reach to your driving position. I even replaced the door liners on my '97 with ones from a '90 that don't have the shoulder bulge to pick up another 1.5" of shoulder room.
I have driven an NB with an aluminum racing seat bolted straight to the floor while I fit, I am not sure if it is for me.

I actually fit better in an NA Miata than an NB..... But it seems I am the only person to ever think that.......

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
9/22/14 8:55 a.m.
skrzastek wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
I actually fit better in an NA Miata than an NB..... But it seems I am the only person to ever think that.......

I do also. More knee clearance and my head is lower in an NA.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/22/14 8:58 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
HappyAndy wrote:
Prefer strictly 2 seaters but I would consider 2+2s and coupes.

Here you go then...

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/22/14 9:06 a.m.

Seriously though, an MR2 is going to have the most room inside (at that price range) due to the layout. I like the C4 idea too. I didn't think the Z3 had much more, if any more room than a Miata when I sat in one last time. That was a while ago though, so take it with a pinch of sodium.

IMHO, any desirable 2-seat sports car in that price range isn't going to fall in your lap (edit- if you exclude the Miata). The herds have already been thinned. If you're not in a rush I'd keep looking for MR2s.

One more idea if you're willing to go older and rotary...

Probably even harder to find in good nick though.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
9/22/14 9:29 a.m.

TR7 and TR8s have lots of room for a tall guy. Know of several owners in the 6'6" 300 pound class. You can do a 7 for that budget, but not an 8. I had a TR7 as a year round DD for years. Have an 8 now that I drive a ton when there is no snow on the ground, but I also have the F350 as a backup.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
9/22/14 9:46 a.m.

If you don't mind a bit of maintenance, how about a 944? If you can stretch the budget a bit, a 350Z or S2000. Short of finding a MR2, you're not going to find a lot in that price range, at least that don't need a lot of work. You might try and see if you fit in a MR2 Spider as well. I am thinking about one of those next year for E Street.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
9/22/14 9:52 a.m.
Matt B wrote: Seriously though, an MR2 is going to have the most room inside (at that price range) due to the layout. I like the C4 idea too. I didn't think the Z3 had much more, if any more room than a Miata when I sat in one last time. That was a while ago though, so take it with a pinch of sodium. IMHO, any desirable 2-seat sports car in that price range isn't going to fall in your lap (edit- if you exclude the Miata). The herds have already been thinned. If you're not in a rush I'd keep looking for MR2s. One more idea if you're willing to go older and rotary... Probably even harder to find in good nick though.

Yes! I've always loved the FC more than miatas. Can probably find a really nice one for $5k.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/22/14 9:56 a.m.

Honestly I don't mind shopping for a while that is not a problem. What kinda gas mileage does the C4 get? And what kind of gas mileage does an RX7 get?

MRS is too tight for me to daily drive. Stretching the budget to reach a 350Z or S2000 is not an option right now with my wife in grad school and having bought her a new car.

944 might be an option. I also thought about an early '90s Alfa Spider but I haven't sat in one in a while.

TR7 is older then I want and I don't think has A/C. I have daily driven a car in Alabama with A/C but I don't really want to go back to that...

I am trying to stay in the '90s or newer but I will consider shopping older cars.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/22/14 9:57 a.m.

Depends. Really good turbos are going for more than that. You can find one for less, but it'll need work.

An SW20 MR2 is roomier than an NA Miata (which is why I got one) but again, finding a good 'un is getting hard. You can find very nice NAs for $5k and less out here, very nice turbo is going to be more like $8k-$10k.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/22/14 9:58 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Depends. Really good turbos are going for more than that. You can find one for less, but it'll need work. An SW20 MR2 is roomier than an NA Miata (which is why I got one) but again, finding a good 'un is getting hard. You can find very nice NAs for $5k and less out here, very nice turbo is going to be more like $8k-$10k.

Yeah I am looking non turbo.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
9/22/14 10:20 a.m.

For that money, right now, I'd buy this - http://www.wirewheel.com/1984-TVR-Tasmin-280i-Coupe-for-sale.html

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/22/14 11:21 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote: For that money, right now, I'd buy this - http://www.wirewheel.com/1984-TVR-Tasmin-280i-Coupe-for-sale.html

Daily driving a TVR. What could possibly go wrong?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
9/22/14 11:32 a.m.

Didn't think you've had the SI very long.....but then I remembered it was you we're talking about and it has been a long time for you.

slow
slow Reader
9/22/14 11:52 a.m.

Is there a reason that Nissan 300Z (Z32) is rarely considered? I think the price of those are in the range. I don't know if the difficulty of repair real or perception.

Storz
Storz Dork
9/22/14 12:07 p.m.

Any BMW

My ZHP feels like a big Miata with a backseat

Storz
Storz Dork
9/22/14 12:16 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Honestly I don't mind shopping for a while that is not a problem. What kinda gas mileage does the C4 get? And what kind of gas mileage does an RX7 get? MRS is too tight for me to daily drive. Stretching the budget to reach a 350Z or S2000 is not an option right now with my wife in grad school and having bought her a new car. 944 might be an option. I also thought about an early '90s Alfa Spider but I haven't sat in one in a while. TR7 is older then I want and I don't think has A/C. I have daily driven a car in Alabama with A/C but I don't really want to go back to that... I am trying to stay in the '90s or newer but I will consider shopping older cars.

My '87 Z51 4+3 Corvette would regularly get near 30mpg cruising on the highway, the newer 6spd cars are even better.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
9/22/14 12:19 p.m.

I'm not sure you'd do well in an Alfa Spider. They are definitely more roomy than a Miata, but the driving position doesn't work very well for those with long legs. The '90's versions are exactly the most sporting either.

For BMW, how about something like this?

E30 325is

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/22/14 12:42 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Didn't think you've had the SI very long.....but then I remembered it was you we're talking about and it has been a long time for you.

Haha. I have had since January but I have been daily driving Civics for 7 years and I am just kinda bored with it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
9/22/14 1:06 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: C4 corvette. You'll fit great and they are great driving cars. Bitch to get in and out of for me.

I was thinking C4 Corvette when I saw 6'3" and $5000 budget, too. The second generation MR2s have a ton of interior room as well, only car I've ever driven where I could set the seat back so far my feet couldn't reach the pedals.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EfKnlgzu2nKhEBS2Gnz1PGfaAsViImIRi8D4UGFJaZnCVlTvJpM3sKlrBKFQ6IhO