tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
5/15/22 11:12 a.m.

As the title says.

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
5/15/22 11:30 a.m.

Recently had the same question. I saw it referred to as anti flutter foam.

The Napa paint and body store had 3M 08463, which is a flexible foam that I think would work.

I wound up using 3M 04274 ordered from Amazon due to cost difference. It's not really foam, but seems to be suitable for bonding hood skins to frames. Worked well for me:

3M NVH Dampening Material 04274 is used to replace and re-install factory NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) sealants and foams. The flexible, two-component material fills in thin gaps up to 1 inch –– anywhere foam cannot be used –– as well as coating existing foam before reinstallation. The urethane adhesive can reduce noise by stopping the vibration between panels, braces, and intrusion beams. The material is flexible yet firm, making it suitable for use between roof skins and bows, door skins, and other areas using non-structural foam materials. This non-solvent, non-shrink formula maintains its size after installation. It applies soft and remains sturdy yet flexible, offering a 60-minute work time when applied to overhead or vertical surfaces. With its cartridge application, there is no need to mix, and it provides minimal drip for easy cleanup. 3M NVH Dampening Material 04274 is a time saver for collision repair jobs requiring NVH sealants and foams.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/15/22 11:44 a.m.
iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/22 10:49 a.m.

I had to do that to my trans am hood when I trimmed the skeleton to fit the stealth ram. With all the trimming the skin brake free the foam balls GM used. I grabbed a tube of 3m seam sealer from the parts store I worked at and ran that around all the joints. Man is that hood solid!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/16/22 1:08 p.m.

I believe that the normal bodyshop adhesive product is called "Silaprene."  That's what I used when I glued on the quarters for my beater miata.   Looks like they were still holding well a month or two ago when I saw a picture of the car.  Worked great for two years until I sold it.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/17/22 7:09 a.m.

Stop by any body shop and ask them what "panel bond" product they like. Then buy that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Aicqqwe18YOo6BdAaH5tXuy5t0Eey0RhI7Jh7w0RSaGrDAcvWJez7gieRBlBAPR