Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
11/2/18 2:22 p.m.

What are everyone's thoughts on this, if you have seen or driven it?  Someone in my work parking lot has one, looks a bit ballooned to me, but what I immediately notice is the huge wheel gap which doesn't help.  It basically towers over my MKV, yet I believe it's lighter.  Granted it's a 1.4T but still impressive for a car of it's size and stature to achieve 30/40MPG.   Some local dealers are advertising base S models w/ stick for upper teens.  

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
11/2/18 3:00 p.m.

Evertime i see a picture from the front 3/4 view, i think of the 2018 accord. Though that may be because I'm around hondas all day.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
11/2/18 3:56 p.m.

I recently spent a little over a week in a base model dealer loaner '19 Jetta.  Seemed like a lot of car for the ~$20K sticker that was in the glove box. 

If I were to buy one, I'd want a high enough trim to at least get heated seats and mirrors (I'm spoiled), but even the pedestrian model we were in had a lot of features, i.e. big touch screen, bluetooth, audio streaming, etc.  The 1.4L engine was pretty wheezy, you really had to wind it out, but it provided adequate power, and never struggled to pass anyone when needed.  Keep in mind I daily an instant torque TDI and/or a 4.6l V8, YMMV.   The 8 speed transmission was a trip, I did a double take when I read that on the window sticker, "is that a typo, does this really have 8 speeds?"  I didn't use the tiptronic feature, but when left to its own devices, it never really hunted for a gear, just press the skinny pedal and go.

The LED headlights are awesome, I wish I had the lighting package on our Golf after driving that Jetta.  

They're a little more Jelly Beanie looking than the predecessor, but I like it, and they look a lot better than the Passat, I never grew to like those.

VW made some improvements to the lack luster MK6 Jetta with the '15 refresh, but it was still a far cry from what the MK5 once was, in my not so humble opinion.  I think with the MK7 VW is finally back on the right track.

Plus they now come with a 6 year 72K warranty.

If I were looking for a new commuter I'd give the '19 Jetta a long hard look.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
11/2/18 4:02 p.m.

I'm not really a sedan guy but all the new VW's come with a 6 year/72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.  So away ya go.

I plan on getting a Golf R in 2 years.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/18 4:08 p.m.

It's German. Do not want. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/2/18 4:29 p.m.

I'd take a GLI.

8valve
8valve Reader
11/2/18 5:59 p.m.

Hows the 1.4 go?

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
11/3/18 6:35 p.m.

You found a 2019 stick? They supposedly don't make them anymore, according to the three dealers we went to.

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
11/5/18 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Well, technically they're Mexican at least from my knowledge they started building them there some point from the MK4 generation onward, except for wagons maybe?  

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
11/5/18 10:20 a.m.

In reply to 68TR250 :

I Did a quick search and found a local dealer advertising 2 stick models on their lot, plus it's a 6 speed now.  However, you can only get the stick in the bare bones 'S' model.  All the upper trims come 8 speed auto only it seems.  I believe a few companies offer tunes for the VW 1.4T to help wake it up some, but it'll never be a powerhouse. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/5/18 10:30 a.m.

In reply to Stanger2000 :

Designed by Germans, the masters of unnecessarily complicated designs, often with ludicrously short service intervals. 

Built in Mexico.  Take that however you like. My history with Chrysler products has me dubious of Mexican built cars.

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
11/5/18 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Brian :

LOL, I can agree with some points there and funny you mention ChryCo.  I did happen to own an example of that, an '89 Plymouth Reliant which had a white sticker in the rear 1/4 glass proudly stating assembled in Mexico.  What a miserable, but I'll say comfortable car - 2.2 TBI/3sp auto/NO AC!

aw614
aw614 Reader
11/5/18 11:31 a.m.

I can't get past the design, while the Jetta was never a looker and at best bland, I really can't stand how the mk7 looks and I used to think the mk5 was a corolla knockoff...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
11/5/18 12:23 p.m.

They do INSANE lease deals on these at the end of the year like 129$ a month with walkoffs on SE's. Its a heck of a car for that price. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
11/5/18 2:12 p.m.

I really don’t like the looks compared to the outgoing model, but if it was improved as much from MK6 to MK7 as the Golf was, it’s probably worth looking at.

ravine
ravine New Reader
11/5/18 3:32 p.m.

I can't comment on the 2019 jetta specifically, but I can say the outgoing model is not a bad car at all. We have a 2014 GLI Edition 30 that my wife daily drives. We bought it used w/ 9k miles as a replacement for a 2010 Mini Cooper S (that is sorely missed, have kids now, needed more room.) Ours is quick, gets 32mpg combined, as much as 38mpg on long highway trips (2.0 turbo/6spd manual.) We have 60k on it now and not one problem, literally 0. She had a 2009 or so Jetta w/ the 2.5 and a manual when we met, it was also a very reliable, efficient car. It was also quicker than it had any right to be. With all of that said, there is not a lot of feedback anywhere, brakes, steering, clutch, shifter. It does everything well but there is no feel to any of it and the car lacks "soul." Also, the amount of power it has is useless in 1st gear once it builds some revs. Maybe better tires than the all seasons we have been running would help. Because of these 2 Jettas I have test driven a couple of GTIs and a Golf R. I would absolutely buy another VW as a daily driver. But if I do it would be an all wheel drive model. Probably though, we will keep this GLI for a long time, and I will buy a broke down R56 the next time I see one for sale and have a free space in the garage. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VmUFz9g6GC2fE5OhHe5MpDMNMCzmWuSAbFggFy2WcRSe8eMdCcZzirX9GieDesLC