1 2 3
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/31/18 8:33 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:
G_Body_Man said:

Reliable, comfortable, rugged and oozing with that "big dick energy" the internet's buzzing about these days. I've wanted a black one for a while now to match my G35. Lexus succeeded in making a luxury rig that's confident without being shouty.

Big Dick Energy? Please explain....

I've wanted a black one for a while now... Further explain, or don't . 

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
7/31/18 8:39 p.m.

I think the early ones had a lower row rating from the factory. Something to keep in mind if you plan to row on the stock set up.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
7/31/18 9:35 p.m.
Vigo said:

I've owned 1 and 2g Monteros, but not a 2.5 or 3. I think the achille's heel of the 3rd gen is its styling. It's aged worse than most things from the period while the previous versions are hard to fault unless you have a problem with the pragmatism of box shapes. 

I like all Monteros but I also wouldn't consider a Gen3 truly the equal of a GX in pretty much anything besides perhaps offroad ability. 

That GX for 9k looks really nice!!!

Equal? I would agree its not quite, I also am not particularly fond of the gen 3 styling but its a lot of car for the money and CLOSE to the GX imho

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
8/1/18 12:34 a.m.
John Welsh said:
Mazdax605 said:
G_Body_Man said:

Reliable, comfortable, rugged and oozing with that "big dick energy" the internet's buzzing about these days. I've wanted a black one for a while now to match my G35. Lexus succeeded in making a luxury rig that's confident without being shouty.

Big Dick Energy? Please explain....

I've wanted a black one for a while now... Further explain, or don't . 

Big Dick Energy is all about confidence without arrogance or smugness.

My G35's black so whatever other vehicles I end up with in the short term will hopefully also be black to maintain the aesthetic.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/1/18 5:20 a.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/1/18 5:39 a.m.

I was curious how bad mpg is for the Lex GX so I went over to fueleconomy.gov

For 03-09 all years rated the same at 14/15/18. 

However,  03-05 call for regular and 06+ calls for premium. In the websites calculation, with a $0.60 per gal upcharge to premium, the additional expense for premium fuel over an annual 15k miles is $600

All Gen3 Montero call for premium fuel.

For 03 the Montero has a 3.8L and Epa rating of 13/15/18 and the website says same annual fuel cost as premium fuel Lexus.

For 01 & 02 the Montero has a 3.5L and Epa of 12/14/16. This nets an additional $250 more in annual fuel for a total of $850 more than the 03 regular fuel Lexus GX.

All the while the Lex returns better economy from a more powerful engine with a higher tow rating

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/1/18 8:06 a.m.
John Welsh said:

All the while the Lex returns better economy from a more powerful engine with a higher tow rating

While providing Toyota reliability.

Not to say the Mitsubishi isn't reliable, but reading the forums, and FB Montero owners page the Montero seems like a semi troublesome model. I knew this going in when buying the Montero,and it is sorta overblown in some respects. I think the biggest issue with any Mitsubishi (or older car in general) is that very few people actually maintain their cars. Maybe Mitsubishi's are worse because they depreciate quicker, and become cheap cars quicker which leads to people buying them that can just barely afford buying a car let alone maintaining one to prevent breakdowns. The Montero is a sophisticated car, and very well built. I just don't feel comfortable in the Gen 2.5 Montero which bugs me because I love the driveline, and looks of this rig. I'm just getting old I guess. However I would drive my 78 RX-7 across the country today if given the chance. It's loud, smelly, and doesn't have A/C or a decent working stereo, but I just feel right behind the wheel of that car. I guess the Monty just hasn't connected with me yet, or perhaps ever.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
8/1/18 8:38 a.m.

I've had mine for the last 6 years.  Bought it with 39k miles on it and now it has 114k miles on it.  Only thing that's broken that wasn't a maintenance item was I got a water leak from the drivers front roof rack foot.

Other than that, tires, oil, brakes, timing belt/water pump and front turn signal bulbs.

Comfortable, V8 power, good space, has removable 3rd row seats.  Mine is a 2008, happily runs on regular unleaded but if you're towing you'll want to put in premium.

I HATE, HATE, HATE the "barn door" rear door on this thing.  Totally the worst design ever, especially since Toyota has the tailgate from the Land Cruiser and the hatchback with roll down rear glass from the 4Runner they could've used.  Door is a PITA to stay open, PITA to have the space, can't open with my bike rack on, I just despise it. 

Other than that, good truck.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/1/18 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Agreed.  I have a Montero, The Sumo Wrestler, because it was cheap (as in less than $2k fully road and off-road ready) and it was a very well maintained example (despite being a "Salvage Total") and generally rust free.  However, its Insurance Value in pre-accident condition was only about $5k.  The Lexus seems to retail for $4-5k more but as I pointed to in the fuel economy, with regular fuel you might save half of that purchase price delta in fuel costs over your ownership of the Lexus.  

I have not updated my Montero thread but it recently need front brakes.  The culprit seemed to be a sticking caliper on the driver's side which took down the pad.  With some sleuthy shopping, parts were cheap.  

Rock Auto Raysbestos Rotors(not no namers) were $15.50 each and Raysbestos higher end pads were $20.50.  All in with shipping was $61.25

Advance Auto for a rebuilt caliper was a net of $35 after core return ($75 core!)  

All total, less tha $100 for new front brakes with one caliper.  

EDIT:  After writing this I then wondered what similar brake parts would cost for the GX.  A quick flip through RockAuto and the prices are generally identical.  Lexus parts are cheep too!  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/1/18 8:57 a.m.
docwyte said:

I've had mine for the last 6 years.  Bought it with 39k miles on it and now it has 114k miles on it.  Only thing that's broken that wasn't a maintenance item was I got a water leak from the drivers front roof rack foot.

Other than that, tires, oil, brakes, timing belt/water pump and front turn signal bulbs.

Comfortable, V8 power, good space, has removable 3rd row seats.  Mine is a 2008, happily runs on regular unleaded but if you're towing you'll want to put in premium.

I HATE, HATE, HATE the "barn door" rear door on this thing.  Totally the worst design ever, especially since Toyota has the tailgate from the Land Cruiser and the hatchback with roll down rear glass from the 4Runner they could've used.  Door is a PITA to stay open, PITA to have the space, can't open with my bike rack on, I just despise it. 

Other than that, good truck.

Good point on the rear door. I have that same configuration on the Montero now. I've only had it a month or so, and don't hate it, but could see why someone might. The Montero one is very heavy with the 31" spare mounted to it as well. I don't think the rear door would keep me from buying the Lexus, but I think the hatch on our 17 4Runner is much more convenient.

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove New Reader
8/1/18 9:28 a.m.

It should be a lot like your Sienna, except:

- slower, heavier

- bigger exterior dimensions, but less interior space

- worse mileage

- harder to park

- worse highway ride

OTOH, you can tow more and apparently it comes with "big dick energy", and who can really put a price on that?  I guess you get bonus points if you drive around town with mud tires.

(Yeah, if you hadn't guessed I love minivans and drive a Sienna.  I can't imagine wanting to move to an SUV unless I had big towing requirements.)

octavious
octavious Dork
8/1/18 9:52 a.m.

My wife's DD is a GX460 (so a little smaller than this one) and I previously had a 100 Series Toyota Land Cruiser (so slightly older than this one) but I'd be on that 470 like a fat kid on a cupcake! 

I was formally a "Jeep guy" and swore there was no better 4wd vehicle.  This was after owning multiple trucks and SUVs and having other ones I drove for work.  Then I traded for the Land Cruiser  and that thing changed what I thought about "capability" and large SUVs cause it was just great at everything and still comfortable.   When we decided to replace the Land Cruiser we looked at 470 but all the ones we found were  higher mileage.  Still great vehicles but we wanted something we could put 100k+ miles on over the next few years with few issues so we ended up with the GX460 The GX460 we have now is even more comfortable, still as capable, newer, nicer, and not as big.  

With the 470 you get Lexus quality interior parts, with full on totally capable off road components.  I have nothing against the Mitzu but the in my opinion the interior of the Lexus is nicer.  Also and just an FYI the 3rd row seats in the 470 can fold up on the sides out of the way, or can be totally removed an allow for more cargo space.  

octavious
octavious Dork
8/1/18 10:00 a.m.

Barn door- I don't mind it.  I thought it would be a pain, but it hasn't yet.  The back glass pops open so if you are normal height you can just lift things in that way.  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/1/18 10:07 a.m.
octavious said:

Barn door- I don't mind it.  I thought it would be a pain, but it hasn't yet.  The back glass pops open so if you are normal height you can just lift things in that way.  

Glass doesn't open on the one I looked at. Probably a change from the switch to 470 to 460 model.

java230
java230 UltraDork
8/1/18 10:11 a.m.

Some brake input from the 4r FWIW.

Use Centric front rotors, I can get anything else to not warp. (I believe the GX uses the same "sport" brakes that mine does WH calipers)  They are still pretty cheap. My truck is loaded a bit but even at OE weight they trash them IMO.

They eat rear brake pads, not sure if that if from traction control or just the way the bias is set up from Toyota. 

Front calipers seize if you do any snow driving, I don't care how much you grease them etc, if they start dragging just swap them. Its easy (and Orielly has a 1year caliper return policy :D only did that once though). 

And ball joints, Moog makes grease able replacement ones, Toyota wants to sell you the whole arm.... If they are making noise replace them, Toyota has them in the arms in a way that they will fall out if worn out too far (upside down basically)

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
8/1/18 10:31 a.m.

Back glass doesn't pop open on the GX470's.  It did on my old Cayenne Turbo and I loved that feature.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/1/18 11:26 a.m.

I'm trying to get used to the opening back glass on my Pathfinder, I forget to use it.  Um...If you want a sweet V8 suv, 08-10 Pathfinder, they only come in SE or LE trim.   Probably not as good off road but a lot of truck for the money.  It is somehow not at all the same truck as a V6 model, you would have to research and drive one to know.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/1/18 11:27 a.m.

I'm trying to get used to the opening back glass on my Pathfinder, I forget to use it.  Um...If you want a sweet V8 suv, 08-10 Pathfinder, they only come in SE or LE trim.   Probably not as good off road but a lot of truck for the money.  It is somehow not at all the same truck as a V6 model, you would have to research and drive one to know.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/1/18 11:34 a.m.
akylekoz said:

V8 Pathfinder?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/1/18 12:02 p.m.

It's acceleration impresses even the most snobbiest of V8 owners.  It has a four wheel traction control system that only works when in low range, it will apply the brakes to the slipping wheels to sent power to the ones with traction.  youtube videos prove it works.

The V8 model comes with the Armada/QX80 transfer case and rear differential, so 2WD, Auto, 4WD and 4 low.  LE has heated steering wheel, adjustable pedals, 9 gig music drive, you know just the essentials.  Third row seats fold into the floor, no need to remove them, I usually run with one third row up and one down.  All five rear seats are independent, this is really nice for a lot of reasons, two recline.

7k towing with the V8.

5.6 liters, 32 valves, no timing belt.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/1/18 12:08 p.m.

Wow, that is impressive! I didn't even know such a thing existed. Just found a pretty clean one in Western PA (10 hour drive) on Car Gurus with 120k for $6k, but it's 2wd. I don't really care as I had a 2wd Suburban for about 6 years up until last summer. Probably should look for a 4wd though.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/1/18 12:13 p.m.

05-07 there was an off road package offered, it was dropped in 08 when the V8 became available, basically shocks and skid plates.  Mine now has the bilsteins that came stock on the off road Pathys, tis way better than blown out stock shocks.

Can you tell that I am really happy with it, I even like the old boxy look of it.

I can't wait to get a flash tuner for it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/1/18 12:46 p.m.

Now that this thread is right off the rails, how reliable is Nissan? I've never been a big fan even though I should, as I like Japanese manufacturers best.

I think I'd prefer a V8 4Runner over the GX as I like the rear gate better, and like the fact that it's not AWD, but rather part time 4wd. However I don't like the body style of the 4Runners that had the V8 very much. The Pathfinder with the V8 however is very handsome looking IMHO.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/1/18 12:58 p.m.

Sorry to derail, I was also shopping the GX when the Nissan fell in my lap.  I wanted a newer GX470, but couldn't find one in my price and mileage range.  4Runners don't fit me needs as I have a heard to transport and I can't afford the MI 4Runner tax other than that I would have one.

Known problems for the Nissans is the coolant and trans fluid mixing due to radiator failures, and the stamped stainless exhaust manifolds cracking.  Mine has a new radiator from a leak not an internal failure, and I will be welding my manifold soon.  There appear to be a lot of them with real high miles for sale so they must not be too bad for reliability. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
8/1/18 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

V8 4runners are full time 4wd. Only the v6 is selectable.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
60g7N7Abpiv1tbUqai5i0HyquJPCGg9YmmCSb0i1VkRA4I7DyEOdIvgYdDq4QFTI