poopshovel again said:
cdeforrest said:

1967 laugh

Literally came here to say THIS

Same

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
7/30/19 1:19 p.m.

I suppose you'll need to decide how modern of a driving experience you want.  Newish car problems, or older car problems?  I'm inclined to say early 90s 16V is the last "classic" GLI/GTI.   I do toy around with having another MKIV GTI or R32 if I ever had the space.  I haven't seen a TDI Cup Jetta (MKIV) in a while, but they're kind of neat.  

MKIV cars are cheap, pretty quick (except the 2.SLOW), and pretty straightforward.  Did your GLI have the 6-speed 24V VR6?  The older you get, the more of a classic car they become, and the slower.  MKIV R32 cars seem to have already moved into collector car status.

MKIII cars (if you can still find them) may eventually circle back to appealing...but not currently.  I do have a soft spot for harlequin though.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
7/30/19 2:32 p.m.

a '62?

I so want to post a pic of a certain leader admiring a model of the Bug but I'll hold off. devil

Toebra
Toebra Dork
7/30/19 11:15 p.m.
cdeforrest said:

1967 laugh

Came here to say this

swampyankee
swampyankee New Reader
7/31/19 8:51 a.m.
Hoondavan said:

I suppose you'll need to decide how modern of a driving experience you want.  Newish car problems, or older car problems?  I'm inclined to say early 90s 16V is the last "classic" GLI/GTI.   I do toy around with having another MKIV GTI or R32 if I ever had the space.  I haven't seen a TDI Cup Jetta (MKIV) in a while, but they're kind of neat.  

MKIV cars are cheap, pretty quick (except the 2.SLOW), and pretty straightforward.  Did your GLI have the 6-speed 24V VR6?  The older you get, the more of a classic car they become, and the slower.  MKIV R32 cars seem to have already moved into collector car status.

My GLI was a VR6, but just 5 speed. I really dug it, but I needed a truck so I traded it off. As far as "modern driving experience", I'm a no-frills guy. Heck, I'm driving an 18 year old truck now and it's power windows are an extravagance. 

The MkII GTI I was chasing seems to have disappeared from the marketplace. Too bad. But I'd take another Mk IV VR6 if I could find a good one. I don't need alot of power, just a bit of fun, and primitive is good.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
syL4qcUInymVBbDkFyfgc75tj9tRHJLEwYo7W2k1WfH0Kdiw43qKutf0S9839hMz