1 ... 3 4 5
Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
12/17/22 11:33 a.m.

I dailied my 323 gtx when not rallying it for awhile, which was every bit as ridiculous as it sounds. There were maybe a thousand AWD Mazda Proteges in the US and I had 3 of em, incuding Lil' Treasure, the 300hp GTR swap. I got to drive a 1936 Buick that was an entrant in the great american race, a x country TSD rally my old man was hired to compete in. He won it in the owners' 1914 Dodge but I didnt get to drive that one. We had a 308 Ferrari for a short while when the market went crazy, juuust before that whole market crashed that I and my ol' Paw drove down hwy 101 from Seattle to SF, and my current daily is just an e55 but its one of maybe 4 in the country where the first owner took it to Brabus and had them do the full K8 thing to it. Oh yeah I have about ten minutes of seat time in a 2016 gt3 with that amazing pdk gearbox... That's about it for wierd stuff. I feel deprived compared to most of y'all.. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/17/22 10:43 p.m.

My Triumph GT6+, I suppose. It's not odd, but I'd say fairly obscure. Even "British Car" guys I sometimes would talk to would always say "oh yeah, those are great, I loved my TR6." Most of the time I mentioned the GT6 to anyone who lived in the 70s, they'd usually think I was talking about the TR6. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/22 10:57 p.m.

When I was 16, I drove my Grandfather's 1977 Cougar Villager station wagon.

One year only, and I've never seen another one.

I can't even find a picture of one online in the same color scheme. 

CWR67
CWR67 New Reader
12/19/22 11:14 a.m.

I've driven several Model Ts, a full race prep Jaguar XKE Series 1 vintage competition car, and a late 1980s Volvo 240DL patrol car...yep equipped with a roof top light bar and door decals.  FYI - Best patrol car I ever drove!

Over the years I've owned a variety of the strange and unusual from a 1980 Porsche 924 Carrera GT to a 1978 Ford Pinto to a 1990 Eunos Cosmo ... and just added a 1995 Mitsubishi Pajero Mini to the stable.  

Right now I'm also building a couple of Smyth Performance UTE kits....a 2006 Audi S4 to keep for myself and a pair of Beetles (a manual 6-speed Turbo S and a manual 5 cylinder) to sell once complete.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/22 11:29 a.m.

Guess my current "collection" is pretty obscure, 1980 TR8, 1976 and 1977 Lancia Scorpions, 72 Porsche 914 and the most obscure of all, a 1972 Citroen SM, which I have not yet driven yet, so technically that one does not count.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
12/19/22 11:59 a.m.

Love the Citroen SM, but never had the guts to  own one - the electrical and hydraulic complexity of the cars stumped even Citroen mechanics back in the day; today finding anyone really well acquainted with them would be a miracle.  Manipuler le champignon is a far cry from the American car 'floor it'.

They are the antithesis of the simplicity of a 2CV which could be fixed at the side of the road pretty much using a handy rock and a screwdriver.  

PS - did the SM still use the champignon shaped accelerator?

dherr (Forum Supporter)
12/19/22 12:48 p.m.

Had to pull a picture from ebay as I am not home at the moment. Agree the car is rather "complicated" but also seems to be worth the efforts, mine is a running/driving car that was just taken off the road a few years ago due to rust in the tank, so not a basket case to be restored from scratch, which would be almost impossible. Hydralics work great, wiring yet to be determined.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/19/22 1:43 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

For what was a fairly low production car, it's rather surprising at how many TR8s are still around.  I guess given the purchase cost at the time, few were used as daily drivers and most have led fairly easy lives.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
12/19/22 1:47 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

When I was 16, I drove my Grandfather's 1977 Cougar Villager station wagon.

One year only, and I've never seen another one.

I can't even find a picture of one online in the same color scheme. 

A Cougar Villager wagon is my "holy grail" of collectible cars.  I have only seen pictures of one - in Michigan - forest green with fake wood sides. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
12/19/22 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

TR8 was always my "dream" car for so many years. Now that I have one, keep kicking myself for not having one sooner. Agree that many have survived, as I think most people knew they were special as they were not cheap in 1980-1981. Last and best of the breed.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
12/19/22 2:11 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

It wasn't my dream car, but I am glad I bought one. With a few changes and upgrades, it could possibly replace my R53 MINI (really needs cruise control).

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
12/19/22 9:26 p.m.

Just catching up on this thread. I see I am not the only one who has had a Turner, mine pictured below, but the most obscure things I have driven, and on the street too, are a 1925 Amilcar CGS, and a Daimler Sovereign 4.5 V8, the last of the before Jaguar chassis engineering, which it desperately needed!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/19/22 9:30 p.m.

I've driven both RHD and LHD versions of a 1992 Subaru SVX.  We owned the LHD version and a friend and owner of the RHD Japanese import in Ireland let me drive his when we visited.  

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
12/20/22 11:56 a.m.

I guess this one that I used to own was fairly rare - 267 made.

And this - 100 made

or this - 70 made

or this (276 made)

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SkuiT27GMVguTjRYJ1dYPq26fWimfcvEJ80d5Vzt2sAT82UAYeW9b8W6pSaehCLP