gszczyrbak
gszczyrbak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/22/21 4:56 p.m.

I picked up my transmission for my Mazda 3 from having an LSD installed.  I got it back in the car and when fitting the CV axles, this thing popped out when removing the drivers side axle after a test fit. I'm assuming its important.  Its a round spring like thing. What is it?

Please don't tell me I have to bring my trans back to get rebuilt again?  It was hell getting it back in the car.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/22/21 4:59 p.m.

Usually those springs hold seals against their mating surfaces. Like the output shaft seal against a cv axle stub shaft...

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/22/21 5:03 p.m.
iansane said:

Usually those springs hold seals against their mating surfaces. Like the output shaft seal against a cv axle stub shaft...

bingo

https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/transmission-seal/duralast-transmission-seal-222742/487135_0_0

shown in the backside view photo of this seal is a good example

gszczyrbak
3/22/21 5:07 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Phew.  Haha.  That I can handle. The way it came out, it felt like it fell out from the transmission proper. It did seem a little delicate for transmission innards.  :)

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/21 5:16 p.m.

I can't believe you violated the extra parts rule.  You were supposed to just leave that out and say it'll be fine.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/22/21 5:34 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I can't believe you violated the extra parts rule.  You were supposed to just leave that out and say it'll be fine.

...or push it back inside the transmission before putting the axle stubs back in.

Stampie (FS)
3/22/21 5:41 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I don't understand you sensible people.

gszczyrbak
3/22/21 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

It was the first thought that crossed my mind.  Then the logical part of my brain demanded attention. What the punishment for violation of of the extra parts rule? I'll take my lumps. smiley

Stampie (FS)
3/22/21 6:12 p.m.

In reply to gszczyrbak :

You must find at least three extra parts from past projects and light them on fire in the driveway as a sacrifice to the extra part gods.  Use of gas encouraged as most extra parts are metal.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/22/21 7:01 p.m.

Shouldn't there be some mention of a virgin in here somewhere?

Stampie (FS)
3/22/21 7:02 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

We were all extra parts virgins at some point.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
3/22/21 7:06 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to gszczyrbak :

You must find at least three extra parts from past projects and light them on fire in the driveway as a sacrifice to the extra part gods.  Use of gas encouraged as most extra parts are metal.

Your HOA allows such shenanigans ???

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/21 7:09 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to gszczyrbak :

Stampies neighborhood requires it at least once per year per property

parker
parker Reader
3/22/21 7:10 p.m.

I started as a fax machine technician in the mid-90's.  There was a drive gear that would break on one particular model that required disassembling the entire machine.  The first few times I did the job I ended with a handful of extra screws.  I decided that wasn't going to happen again on the next job.  I ended up not having enough screws to finish!  

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
3/22/21 7:22 p.m.

That isn't the sna[ ring that holds the axle in.?

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/22/21 7:24 p.m.

You can make tools from stiff wire to re-install that garter spring.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/22/21 8:05 p.m.

You can just roll that spring back in with your fingers.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/21 10:09 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

You can just roll that spring back in with your fingers.

Well, in theory.

I had this happen to me, and it took me way too long farting around with various implements trying to get it to pop in.  Rolling it in in one spot would allow it to roll out in another.  Shoulda just called the parts store and ordered a new seal, would have been cheaper than the wasted shop time.  I'm sure there is a skill, or maybe a knack, that some people can have for being able to roll them back in, but I ain't got it.

And this is why you always pack the inside of a seal with grease, it keeps the spring from being able to pop out.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/21 9:39 a.m.
stafford1500 said:
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to gszczyrbak :

Stampies neighborhood requires it at least once per year per property

OMG.... could you imagine if we GRMers all lived in the same community?  What would our HOA agreement look like?

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
3/23/21 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

"No burnouts before 6 AM...burnouts required from 6 AM until midnight." devil

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/21 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Bylaw 4 section 5.3A - No more than 1/2 (50%) of a household's fleet of vehicles shall be in roadworthy, drivable condition. Violators will be put back into compliance without notice by the Association, typically at night and while intoxicated. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DpCNFU4hsQvnLg8lGNMZA1rxHLDXkd2Um9duIEUDKdYRFXGmH003IQbzBTdvgXYo