DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
6/29/14 5:19 p.m.

I've been finding S197s for great deals. The problem is none of these people posting the ads respond via e-mail, text, or phone call. You'd think someone that says "have cash in hands ready to buy" would respond fairly quickly. A whole weeks worth of trying to contact and no response from 4-5 different ads. Blows my mind. I posted two things on CL today and sold them within two hours because I responded to the ads right away.

Will
Will SuperDork
6/29/14 5:46 p.m.

Here's one with the rare "400 Turbo" engine for you.

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/4542507454.html

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
6/29/14 6:34 p.m.

scratching my head. But S197s can be found at F-body prices of 10 years ago. Cheap. Now if one of these turd burglars would just get back with me that'd be great.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/29/14 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Will:

That's the transmission snafu......

Idiot.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/29/14 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Will:

And the even rarer 3.8L V6

Do people not even look under the hood anymore or what?

On a somewhat related note, has the S197 become the 3d Gen Camaro of the 2000s? I have seen more clapped out, flat black rattle canned, no exhaust S197s than ever. I didn't think they have reached that point yet

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
6/29/14 7:07 p.m.

Not sure they are still holding value pretty well even the cologne v6 models. But if you look hard enough you can find them for the right price (GTs that is). They don't have mullet cooling t-tops so they'll never be like turd gen f-bodies.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/29/14 8:31 p.m.

It's not just Mustangs. I'm waiting on three different not - Mustang ad responses. None of them are getting back to me and it drives me crazy...

Maybe they are sold and the sellers just don't care about responding or their junk mail/spam mail boxes get everything. Maybe it's just the times.

Opti
Opti Reader
6/29/14 9:59 p.m.

I sell stiff on Craigslist but hate buying. Was gonna buy a wii u last week. Sent an email/text to all the local ads saying something along the lines of. X dollars can meet today. Most of what I got back was no, that's not enough I want this much. Funny thing was, was most of the people were wanting more than what a new one costs, or didn't respond for like a day.

Screw it, went to gamestop and bought one.

Also selling isn't that great either get a lot of hey wanna trade for my sport bike, atv, or jet ski.

no I want cash and not your impossible to sell trash.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/29/14 10:04 p.m.

I must have items that are too specific to sell, because I don't get responses on Craigslist either. When I try to buy a car, I very often get no responses, which kind of kills the excitement of a good find.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
6/29/14 10:23 p.m.

Took me four and a half months to buy a Jeep Cherokee XJ, mostly due to the fact that most folks do not have the first clue about what they actually own and are trying to sell. A typical response to my boilerplate of questions I developed during searching was usually something like, "Uhhh, it's a Cherokee, it's green, I think it's 4x4."

Ignorance, followed by incompetence, and plenty of just pure laziness on the sellers part. There's a kid still trying to sell his Cherokee, at least the 5th CL ad I know of, not counting the Jeep Swap FB page, that I attempted to buy on two different occasions, but he'd just cease communicating after one or two emails or texts. I can not figure out his angle, maybe he just likes random folks calling, texting, and emailing him? When it's not for sale, he's trying to get someone to trade wheels with him.

Sense ain't common anymore.

• Lee
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
6/30/14 5:47 a.m.

And why is every S197 GT with a manual trans under $10,000 BLACK???

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
6/30/14 6:49 a.m.

I use CL all the time, mostly selling. The best thing about CL is also the worst thing about it. It's free. I think if people actually had to pay to post an ad they would be much more motivated to respond to a text/call and sell the item. As it stands there's no penalty for no response. All they have to do is re-list again and again. Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting CL should be a pay site but when something is free people abuse it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/30/14 7:05 a.m.
Will wrote: Here's one with the rare "400 Turbo" engine for you. http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/4542507454.html

No emails. Just call. Good luck guessing my number.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
6/30/14 7:11 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo: The price is listed at $8500 in the ad or make an offer Probably dosnt want to email because of the reasons in this thread.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
6/30/14 7:55 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

You gotta click the contact button in the upper left.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
6/30/14 8:21 a.m.

To be honest, around here it's getting better. A few years ago the response rate was maybe 20%, i.e. you contact five people, you'd hear from one. Now it seems like close to 50%.

I have to admit, I obsess over the motivations of these people though.

-Were they unable to figure out how to delete the ad?

-Is the point of the ad just to convince a wife/girlfriend that item X is for sale, and it's not really for sale?

-Are they losing access to phones and the internet?

-Are some of the ads fake? I suspect that people created have fake ads to cheat in ChumpCar, I'm guessing that someone has also had the idea to create a bunch of over-priced ads for similar cars to their own to make their car seem under-priced.

-Are they using craigslist as a way to make their phone ring a lot, like to seem important in front of people?

Or maybe they're just dumb/lazy!

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
6/30/14 9:33 a.m.
Will wrote: Here's one with the rare "400 Turbo" engine for you. http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/4542507454.html

One more reason he may not sell this. Read the ad, and I quote: "Please don't reply to this listing."

Leafy
Leafy Reader
6/30/14 10:15 a.m.

I'd bet some of the non-response ads are just people collecting email addresses to sell.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
6/30/14 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Leafy:

That's why I have a normal email and a "craigslist" email. Google voice and/or prepaid go phones could be handy too.

• Lee
Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
6/30/14 11:40 a.m.

Bear with me, but could the phenomenon be due to the fact you're dealing with the type of individual who simultaneously owns older 'stangs and frequents craigslist.

[ducks and runs for cover]

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6QxMaifKIVfIToBlanr7uZytgPK4hzQ3wkIlSJygl97MgMeCzlVQWCP13WDFpbA5