1 2 3 ... 6
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/9/22 11:40 a.m.
feature_image

Sure, we all have dreams of attacking apexes in McLarens and getting drive-through burritos in Ferraris, but let’s be realistic here–how many of us will really get the chance to own cars like that?

Instead, what’s your attainable dream car? You know, the one that keeps reappearing in your search history, the one you are stashing parts for or maybe …

Read the rest of the story

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/9/22 12:16 p.m.

Three cars are my attainable dream cars:  A superformance G 40, a factory five daytona coupe and the 2006 Mustang gt that I am driving and auto crossing.  I bought my mustang in december of 2005 and have installed a Kenne bell supercharger and I am on my second round of suspension upgrades care of vorshalg.   

I have always wanted a monster mustang and I am  building one.  I love this car more than the day I bought it.  Have done 95% of the work myself, so it is a real relationship. I also learned to auto cross in the car.

The other two cars?  I think I am closer to the factory five car, as I've ridden in one.  Have never even seen the superformance car.  If I never get these two cars, I am still driving and loving my dream car.  Life is good!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/22 12:28 p.m.

A lot of kit cars or homebuilts could qualify (Superlite Coupe, Exocet?) so I'll try to stick to production cars. No plans to buy (or build) any more cars in the foreseeable future though:

- Lotus Elise/Exige
- C6/C7/C8 Corvette
- Mk5 Supra Manual

Also I'm intrigued/afraid that some EVs might soon go into production that could qualify, maybe from Hyundai or MG or even from Porsche(!)

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
9/9/22 12:36 p.m.

It isn't a dream car, but I am.... Very interested in the upcoming lektrik Cayman. Otherwise, I could probably replace the e55 with an e63s and find happiness on long road trips. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/9/22 12:36 p.m.

Attainable for me is a bit different. 

I have been lucky to drive a lot of crazy stuff the only things I really would spend the cash for is. 

• Early Murci manual spyder. 
  • Spyker C8 coupe.  
  • Morgan Aeromax coupe. 

Outside of the production stuff I really want to have a early Atom, and the RCR 917K. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/9/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Always thought Spykers were super cool and seem to have the right amount of funk to stand apart from everyone else.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/9/22 1:07 p.m.

Is it bad I don't think I really have one?

I have the Civic as a fun project/ autocross car and the Element as a hauler that I am going to make more fun. I get daily drivers "free" at work.

I want something to do the Lemons Rally and then GRM Challenge with but I will sell after and after I may get a Geo Tracker as a removable top around town run about that the wife can drive. But do either of those count as a dream car?

If electric car comes along that has the practicality of the Element before it becomes reasonable to electricify the Element then that would become a dream car.

An original Mini would be awesome too. My biggest thing that keeps me from dreaming too much is space.

31rx7
31rx7 New Reader
9/9/22 1:28 p.m.

2004 - 2010 Jaguar XKR, preferably coupe.   Yes, I know they upgraded the car in 2007, so they are different, but I like both. Love the looks. Lots of power with civility. English leather and burled wood dash. I favor the coupe as I feel the lines are better and would make a better GT.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/22 1:30 p.m.

Mine was a 987 Cayman S. It's in my driveway. Then was another Opel GT. Ended up getting the same one and it is in the driveway.

1. Quattro Couple to restore and build.

2. A 6cyl. for the 914 that resides in the shop.

3. A Cummins powered Jeep J-truck.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/9/22 1:37 p.m.

Was originally an Elise, had it, loved it.

Currently in love with my turbo miata. I bought it really, really well pre-pandemic so the fun:value ratio is off the charts

Don't tell anyone, but I'm currently eyeing  a JDM Aristo (GS300) as a fast, modable GT car. Top trims had a full on 2JZ-GTE and for some reason prices haven't exploded on them yet. Doubling or tripling stock HP is pretty easy, apparently the rub is getting the transmission to survive at those power levels...   

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/22 1:37 p.m.

In reply to 31rx7 :

I think the 07-14 XK and XKR are undervalued! They coupes are absolutely beautiful cars with great power. If the backseat was big enough for a toddler they'd absolutely be on my radar.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/9/22 1:38 p.m.

Already attained:

-BMW E36 M3Ti (for sale when it comes back from getting a new head)

Beyond that: 

-SRT-6 XJ Cherokee

-C126 300SDC

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/9/22 1:42 p.m.

Corolla GR

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
9/9/22 3:27 p.m.

So, so many cars. The short list that are all fairly reasonable, at least for now:

• S62-swapped BMW 8 series
  • Early euro E24, preferably M635csi. I love the clean lines of the early cars with euro bumpers.
  • Lotus Esprit Turbo, the early version
  • I have a 944 but it doesn't run yet, so 944 LS1 goes on this list
  • I've had most flavors of E30 and still love and own several so that's on the list
  • Lately I've been jonesing for an Evo VII/VIII
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/9/22 3:54 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I am looking at a Soarer/Turbo SC300 or Aristo as a cruiser. Lot of miles in the midwest and the more I look at it, That is perfect. 

I also have a reservation submitted for an Alpha Motors Jax. Jax  

Not sure if it will ever get built but I like it a lot so why not. Low risk to do so. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/9/22 4:08 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Seems like most people caught on to the 2JZ in the soarer and prices are, well, soaring. For some reason the Aristo is still under the radar. 

I already own an IS-F. I have no compelling reason to own an Aristo, especially one I know I'm going to tinker with and blow up the trans. Such is life.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
9/9/22 4:23 p.m.

I've always wanted an FD RX-7.  But at this point those are starting to look less and less attainable.

You know what is attainable? A 1990s Toyota Century. I want one bad.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
9/9/22 4:43 p.m.

Mine come in two flavors:

Street

911 of some sort.

I want a 356 but a decent one will be more than I want to spend; read I'd have to sell most of the other toys for it to make sense to me.

Race

A Formula Super Vee; preferably a late 70s Argo. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
9/9/22 4:47 p.m.

New car: MX-5, GR86, Civic Si

Used: G35 coupe MT with Brembo brakes, RX-8 R3, Jaguar XK X150

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
9/9/22 5:10 p.m.

Exige, Atom, Defender (LS), gt4..

Yup, I have lofty dreams. 

Automobilist
Automobilist New Reader
9/9/22 5:24 p.m.

Let's see... "Attainable"

Porsche 911 (991 series). Attained.

Aston Martin DB7 Supercharged. Attained.

MG TD.  Attained.

Triumph GT6 & Spitfire vintage race cars. Attained.

Still to be attained:

1970 Pontiac GTO

1976-79 Cadillac Seville

2005 +  Porsche Boxster S

2014 +  Jaguar F-Type

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/22 5:29 p.m.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/22 5:30 p.m.

F type R. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/22 5:47 p.m.

Already have it.  67 LeMans Convertible.  The true dream car is the same as a GTO, but I always do restomods and quasi-pro-touring builds, so I saw no need to pay three times as much for the same car that was going to get the full treatment anyway.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/22 5:49 p.m.

I thought it was a certain twin-engine CRX, but then I had the chance to buy it and I realized it had too much pedigree.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Apcq1pfrpMdmNnGgsiHRk9aVOmgP6YnwQ4tQI8Pm7BwKcx4e0IJUkS3qhANUzZ9U