1 2 3 4 ... 6
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/22 6:01 p.m.

It was a 68-70 Charger or 70-74 Cuda. Prices have long sense gotten stupid.

Hoping to get a 70-73 Firebird. Prices are rising fast, but a base model may still be possible.

74-76 Camaro choice #2. Because the chrome bumpers are so wrong they're cool to me.

81-87 Chevy/GMC short box stepside pickup.

ShiftLess
ShiftLess New Reader
9/9/22 6:04 p.m.

I have a track day prepped E46 M3 and a mostly stock C6 Vette base coupe, and a 20 yo WRX... so OK for toys, need more garage!

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
9/9/22 6:50 p.m.

Already own it, but I'd like to do another with LS something......I know, I know, "not another blah, blah, blah, LS swap blah, blah, blah".

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/22 8:33 p.m.

F355 GTS or GTB

I'm a Texas redneck and my answers will reflect that. I was dirt dirt dirt poor. The best I ever achieved in high school was an air cooled VW. From my vantage point even humble cars were worthy of lustful desire.

-TransAm GTA. Tuned Port with the gold colored mesh wheels. My friend had one. His family owned a restaurant and they could afford to buy him one for a high school car. 

-C4 Corvette with round taillights (pre 91 model). This was the center piece at James Wood Motors Chevrolet in Decatur Texas when I was in my teen years. When we pooled our money to "drive to town", this was the ultimate vehicle in the entire county for youthful lust on any weekend night.

-A carbureted four-eye Mustang GT. About an 83 or 84 would be ideal. The cool dudes in high school drove 5.0L Mustangs with those sweet "Powdered by Ford" factory finned aluminum valve covers and the Holley carb.

This is my high school era. I was dirt poor and these were the parking lot cars that I lusted over. 

I recently got the second one, the Corvette. I'm going down that path right now. But I also know that sometime dreams are best kept as just that. I could afford the TransAm or the Mustang but I suspect that they're more enjoyable in my mind than they would be in real life. You can never go back to the good old days.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
9/9/22 10:37 p.m.

My answer to this changes like my answer to my favorite food. 
It's a little disheartening to see some of the cars I lusted over now become priced beyond where I'll ever afford them. 

That said, though the answer changes a lot, it's generally a rare trim of something radwood era I thought was cool as a kid/teen. 

Top of the list is an FD RX7, then a clown shoe. Both are now pricing beyond my means but would love to have one still. 

Beyond those two, recently it would be A 90s Saleen but not sure I can really do another mustang

Since buying the integra challenge car, I've been digging integras and think a type R would be a solid choice if bought right. And they are still buyable 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/22 10:43 p.m.

911 - hoping to fix that next year. 

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
9/9/22 11:02 p.m.

I attained one of my dream cars, a 2010 Cayman S. 

But most of the other cars on my list are probably unattainable, because I'm just not willing to spend the kind of money that it would take to get one.

Porsche 911 GT3 or GT2

Porsche Cayman GT4

C8 Corvette Z05

BMW Z8

NB Miata with Honda V6 (attainable)

ND Miata (also attainable)

Ferrari 355 Coupe (a friend has one, and it is drool-worthy)

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/10/22 2:02 a.m.

An early NSX with manual trans, BMW 635CSi and the upcoming recreation of the 69 Camaro I drove in high school.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/10/22 6:34 a.m.

NSX and a Pantera that doesn't need everything are my attainable dream cars. I can't see my pleasure to outlay letting me buy either but those are it for me.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/10/22 8:13 a.m.

I think the first car i lusted after, and still will stop me to stare at it is a Z32 300zx twin turbo.  

silver paint with black interior. Oh yezz, thats the stuff. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/22 8:22 a.m.

I just bought one of them. 

Next on the list is a FD RX7.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/10/22 8:33 a.m.

I want to do a Pro-Touring/backroads cruiser build on my '64 Nova. Hopefully I'd end up with something in between these:

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/22 8:44 a.m.

Early NSX and a 300sl gullwing. 

I got the NSX and love it, not sure if I want to go for the gullwing. 

Things get seriously weird for 1M+ cars. I think there is a lot of money laundering going on.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
9/10/22 10:16 a.m.

I'm driving one of mine, a Mazdaspeed Miata. My others are:

1st generation RX-7,

Porsche 944 Turbo or S2

Porsche Cayman

FD RX-7 and Lotus Elise, but those will most likely stay out of my price range.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/22 11:26 a.m.

TR6

C6Z06

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/10/22 11:29 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

god how I wish I could fit in one... im just too tall to drive it comfortably!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/10/22 1:28 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

Already own it, but I'd like to do another with LS something......I know, I know, "not another blah, blah, blah, LS swap blah, blah, blah".

If LS swap is a cliche, it's a cliche because it works.

For me, I would like to finish the tune in my Dart, find any remaining oil leaks, get the grille back in place, swap in that 8 3/4" axle, get the gauges all working, and fix all the cosmetic issues.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
9/10/22 2:11 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

You are correct, Grasshopper, if it works and works well, why fight it ?

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
9/10/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Excellent choice, I own one,  my second one. Still love them.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
9/10/22 8:14 p.m.

Tier 1 attainable:

• Mazda RX8
  • Early Porsche Boxster
  • 2016 Cadillac ELR (dreamy-ish for a daily)
  • IH Terra
  • IH Travelette

Tier 2:

• Lotus Evora (I've seen a few in a tier 1.25 for me)
  • Porsche 996/997 Targa
  • IH Scout
  •  Jeep Gladiator 4xe
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/22 8:38 p.m.

If I scrimped and saved I could swing a Factory Five Cobra.  

JimS
JimS Reader
9/10/22 9:01 p.m.

Got one. A 911. For some reason I have always wanted a Lancia Fulvia. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/22 9:28 p.m.

Jaguar, either XJ6 or MkII, but done up the way I dream of.

My 2002? It wasn't that expensive when I bought it, but it's not in a dreamy state right now.

A Porsche of some kind. Maybe attainable at the right time/place/etc. Boxster? I think the Porsches I'd really fall for are all older than that, if only a little.

A nicely done BMW E12. Or another E28. Or E30. All harder to come by than they ought to be already.

An Alfa Romeo Milano or GTV6.

A lot of "dream" cars have come to seem so over the top to me that I don't think I could enjoy driving them. Maybe a Cobra replica?

I think I'm better off focusing on things like turning the MGB GT into everything I think it can be. And getting the Wolseley put together, because I think these will make me happier to drive around and to arrive in than 90% of the stuff people think of as "dream cars."

It's been a lot of years of that Cobra not falling off my list, though...

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
9/10/22 11:54 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

I daily drove a Milano for several years, they are fun in a weird way and it actually only needed a tow truck once, but they are terrible at being a usable car.  The parts to get the HVAC working are long gone (discontinued and used parts have decomposed), the headlights are horrible (undrivable in the dark) and the exhaust just kinda sits down below everything else under the car and scrapes everything.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OPeTGNObuJz7yUh4ZChlgqVLu0C8g0cmbBvTR397UG3JbN7YkLQrbn5OrzZuk8zx