1 2 3
84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
9/19/21 3:34 p.m.

Drove off from a gas pump with the nozzle still in the tank.  I popped the emergency disconnect and gave V it's only real ding next to the tank in the rear quarter.  Argh. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
9/19/21 3:46 p.m.

I've been fortunate enough to walk away from bad deals. This of course is brought on by watching my parents and my brother make some of the worst car deals ever.........despite my telling them to run away.

The only thing close was the free race car: I spent $7000 in parts on it (its not much money but I only made 40K at the time) a big chunk of which went on a credit card. It took me 6 months to pay it off after I sold the car.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/19/21 7:30 p.m.

Sold my GS430.  Should've kept it until it fell apart.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/19/21 7:47 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Sold my GS430.  Should've kept it until it fell apart.

Funny, I feel the same way about the same car.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/19/21 8:07 p.m.

I buy non-working motorcycles because they are cheap. I promised myself the garage wouldn't become a dead motorcycle farm.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
9/19/21 9:34 p.m.

I bought a 2008 Volvo C30 with low miles back in May this year because I just landed a job which required me to travel and use my own car (of course the company pays mileage). It was the newest car I've ever owned and at 5000$, it was also the most expensive. But I thought I'd be right as my 2007 Mk4 Jetta City was getting tired and I thought what could go wrong with a car that has only 120 000 km... I also decided that I would farm out the most difficult repairs as I didn't want to use my free time to wrench on my daily driver. Fast forwards 4 months later, I must have spent at least 1 day from each weekend doing "easy" repairs or finding parts from that car. That is without counting the 3 or 4 big repair bills from the shop to do stuff like wheel bearings, trailing arms and steering rack. I bought a 2021 Corolla L this week and the Volvo is getting sold now. I almost didn't work on my "real" car this summer.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/21 6:06 a.m.

Around 1980 I realized that I could *almost* afford a Pantera.   At that time they were $12000 to $15000.  Needless to say, I did not buy one.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/20/21 6:27 a.m.
noddaz said:

Around 1980 I realized that I could *almost* afford a Pantera.   At that time they were $12000 to $15000.  Needless to say, I did not buy one.  

I'm sure you convinced yourself they would be expensive to maintain and that you made a wise decision.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/21 6:47 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
noddaz said:

I'm sure you convinced yourself they would be expensive to maintain and that you made a wise decision.

I didn't even have a place to keep a car like that.  So, yeah.  Still wanted one.  Still do. lol

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/20/21 7:58 a.m.

Once bought a really solid TR7  convertible thinking I could flip it for good $$$. I had no idea how much people despise the TR7.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
9/20/21 8:30 a.m.

How about the good condition, good running 69 Judge I turned down in 1980 because it wasn't worth giving up my clean 74 Regal and $1100 for?

When I think of all the cars I've driven over the years and try to thin of the worst deals it keeps coming back to two Volkswagens. One, a 76 Rabbit, the other an 84 Rabbit diesel. The 77 between them wasn't much better but since it only cost me $100, leaving it on the side of the road with a likely blown head gasket was no tragedy.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/21 8:34 a.m.

1984 Audi 4000s quattro. Impulse by after a death in the family and I didn't want to fly home. Didn't rev past 4k, had hidden rust covered by license plates screwed to the underbody, and rubberized undercoating. Strut housing was almost rusted away. Sold it to someone as a driving parts car after less than a year and lost a bunch on it.  Still a great winter beater though!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/21 8:50 a.m.

This is easy. Selling Atomic Betty. Biggest mistake I've made. I'd love to have her back. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ubyHl3gsmpGCMQ9YD0kvXENeIGnayrEHDYPTMKSF6gYJ8Fp29OHRsYLAepC2EXI2