In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

The engine is from a salvage 2002 Acura
RSX S-type with 65k miles. In stock form it
produced 200 hp and is mated to a manual
6-speed trans. In its current configuration, with
some unnecessary items removed (PS pump, AC
compressor), an INJEN short ram intake and a
more efficient exhaust system, it puts out about
220hp - on a vehicle that weighs about 1700 lbs.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/21 10:42 a.m.

In reply to olpro :

That's great. Maybe next time I'm in SD I can talk you into giving me a look. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/25/21 10:43 a.m.

A guy I went to high school built a few of these back in the late eighties. They were really well done, but he could not make the business end of things work out so the company folded. Its a shame because they were much better than the kits usually were back then. I think he built about five of them and he used to daily drive a red one. Its a Fiero. Apparently no better photos exist. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/25/21 11:17 a.m.

Obviously I am prejudiced, but I only like the ones that look like real cars, not someone glued together bits and pieces of whatever came to hand.  I resurrected/restored this Fiberfab Jamaican  14 years ago.  https://www.rhodoworld.com/Jamaican.html

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
8/25/21 1:03 p.m.

If we really want to go oddball, I have to say Blackjack Avion:

It's a 2CV based three-wheeler. 

Protodad
Protodad New Reader
8/25/21 1:52 p.m.

Any of Palatovs stuff (https://www.palatov.com/cars/)

who doesn't love tiny Hartley powered track toys?  His street stuff is pretty cool too. Here's the D2 which is fun sized and LS powered. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
8/25/21 2:04 p.m.

In reply to Protodad :

Palatov's working on a $500k supercar. Big leagues. I hope he's successful. I've followed the guy since his first public build. 

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
8/26/21 9:12 p.m.

Here's one on FB Marketplace:

Bradley GT

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/27/21 7:40 a.m.
fanfoy said:

If we really want to go oddball, I have to say Blackjack Avion:

It's a 2CV based three-wheeler. 

This may take the honor of being a rare kit car that is not any weirder than its donor car.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/27/21 11:21 a.m.

forgot the one that I really want to build but just don;t have the time. 

Indycycle. I really love this idea. 

indycycle s1

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/27/21 8:28 p.m.
iansane said:

I started modding cars with a thirdgen firebird so the Evoluzione kit always sparked things for me.

And boom! this passed me

when it was coming up behind me I thought it was a MK4 Supra or an FTO; then I realized what it was since I had just read this thread. If this is the one I'm thinking of it's been for sale on CL off and on for the last couple years for $18k

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/28/21 12:52 p.m.

I like the 2CV kits too. And I'd be interested in an Ariel Atom if it had a street-like body (Maybe a Berkeley lookalike?)

In the mean time, a Westfield Megabusa might be entertaining....

But with 'only' 200 bhp, the urge to swap in a turbo Ecotec with double that would be hard to resist!

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
8/28/21 7:28 p.m.

When I think about odd kit cars, the rodster comes to mind.

It is based on the first gen s10/s15.

Asausa123
Asausa123
4/24/23 10:19 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Check out 2000 Replica/Kit Makes Riot Thunder Ranch Baywatch edition, Subaru 2.5  on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195722895568?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Wjh3x2MSRay&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Wjh3x2MSRay&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/23 10:58 a.m.

I like the Shoebox kit, even better with period correct wheels.  All I could find is this creamsicle.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/23 11:03 a.m.

Love the Delahaye, but not sure it it's a kit or independent build.

An Auburn would entertain me until my ship comes in .....

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/24/23 11:36 a.m.

For a brief time, factory five offered the Daytona as a roadster.  I find it most tasty. 

not sure if race cars count, but I also love me some Mallock, its like a Lotus 7 even more distilled and tightened up. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/24/23 12:17 p.m.
Asausa123 said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Check out 2000 Replica/Kit Makes Riot Thunder Ranch Baywatch edition, Subaru 2.5  on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195722895568?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Wjh3x2MSRay&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Wjh3x2MSRay&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

I hate that I saw this and I need that. 

But with a broken windshield that is a 2.5-3K car all day long. The gelcoat is loose as well. I did sent him a message though I worked on that car in the past. 

BOOO. 

Registewred as a sand rail so cannot be used in California unless I want to swap the frame and that is to much work for one in that bad of shape. Guy got swindled when he bought it and its workth about 2.5K based on our talk with the proper registration. As it sits its worthless to anybody who does not have a windsheild. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/23 5:46 p.m.

I always wanted one of these. I don't think they sell them anymore. At least the last time I looked they were not selling them.  

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
4/24/23 7:40 p.m.

It's rumored that they're trying to replace the GTM Supercar with something new, so they stopped orders on it sometime in 2022(?) to make room for it. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/23 9:34 p.m.

I hope they keep the classic looks and resist the urge to go with all the hard edges of the modern super car.  

DocRob
DocRob Reader
4/25/23 9:53 a.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

I see your Blackjack Avion and raise you with a Lomax 224 (also a 2CV-based kit car, they make a 3-wheeler version as well the 223): 

Not going to lie, I love this thing. With a Brooklands screen, maybe a Morgan 3-wheeler-inspired rollbar. Fit a late DOHC 1200 BMW boxer good for 110hp...yea man...yea. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
4/25/23 10:28 a.m.
DocRob said:

In reply to fanfoy :

I see your Blackjack Avion and raise you with a Lomax 224 (also a 2CV-based kit car, they make a 3-wheeler version as well the 223): 

Not going to lie, I love this thing. With a Brooklands screen, maybe a Morgan 3-wheeler-inspired rollbar. Fit a late DOHC 1200 BMW boxer good for 110hp...yea man...yea. 

That's more on the oddball end of the spectrum versus something like the GTM or a Cobra. I like both, but the Lomax has an endearing quirkiness which is great. 

How about a Subaru AWD version? 

What I don't like are slow versions of fast cars. My personal mantra is if you are going to do a replica it needs to offer comparable to or better performance than the original. 

DocRob
DocRob Reader
4/25/23 1:46 p.m.

That would be a challenge to build since the 2CV is aircooled. But heck they build Scooby-powered Baja bugs, so why not?

With you on the replica has to perform as well as or better than the original. I like the Factory Five Daytona Coupes, if I built one, it would be with one thing in mind; competing in TT5 and Ultimate Track Car Challenge and it won't be slow. Looks like Whipple has managed to get nigh 1500 horsepower out of the new Ford Godzilla crate engines. They fit where most Coyote's fit...so there we go. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
4/25/23 3:49 p.m.
DocRob said:

That would be a challenge to build since the 2CV is aircooled. But heck they build Scooby-powered Baja bugs, so why not?

With you on the replica has to perform as well as or better than the original. I like the Factory Five Daytona Coupes, if I built one, it would be with one thing in mind; competing in TT5 and Ultimate Track Car Challenge and it won't be slow. Looks like Whipple has managed to get nigh 1500 horsepower out of the new Ford Godzilla crate engines. They fit where most Coyote's fit...so there we go. 

Why couldn't you hang water-cooled cylinder heads out in the same manner as done in the 2CV above? 

With four-digit power levels available, I'd probably look for something with better aerodynamics than the Daytona coupe.  But that's all out of my league. To me, 200 WHP in a 1400 lb lotus replica's plenty.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1eiYVqtAfTnpTMzD86jzezs1N4BbpRj5icXoeaC4GVuDH689WXiWpqsvmBtnBXeb