1 2 3
Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/17/21 3:06 p.m.

On my current vehicles:

-UUC Evo 3 short shifter in my e36 m3. Totally transformed the driving experience. Granted, anything would have been better than the worn out 130k mile OEM stuff. 

-24mm rear sway bar in my 2012 Passat TDI. Installation took 15 minutes and it made the car drive like a German car should, instead of a 90s Buick. 

-Bluetooth stereo and modern speakers in my 98 c2500. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/17/21 3:14 p.m.

Maybe little, maybe not. I added a canned tune to my S197 soon after I bought it. The change removing throttle delay alone complete transformed the car. Rev matching, starts, and shifts were always a PITA when stock , and it fought you the whole way. I would never go back to the stock setting seven if I didn't gain one usable HP. 

Also, I added a Steeda "street wing" because it looked cool, but it actually improved stability over 70mph significantly - much to my utter surprise. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/21 10:00 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Also, I don't know if I would consider this a "modification" but polishing the glass on anything more than 20 years old using a mixture of bon ami, a small amount of warm water (just enough to make a paste) using 0000 steel wheel is a game changer with regards to clarity and removing any stubborn residue or scratches. 

Quoted for truth.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/21 10:02 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

Polished headlights and new bulbs. 

The van I just bought from NC has hazy lenses.  I found a pair of new buckets on Amazon (with new bulbs) for $80.  Score.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/18/21 10:19 a.m.

Limited slip diff on my s10. Found a factory fresh Torsen meant for a 3rd gen fbird or something. Best $200 I ever spent. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/21 11:00 a.m.

I added a Pelican Vault to the bed of my truck. It looks like it's meant to be there and I use it all the time. 

scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
2/18/21 11:15 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

clutch stop on my bmw 325is.

5 bucks for  ane bolt a nd rubber bumper

infernosg
infernosg Reader
2/18/21 12:46 p.m.

Grip tape on the clutch, brake and throttle pedals. I've also thoroughly enjoyed the 4" extension I added to my short-throw shifter. Keeps the short throws but moved the knob so it's only a few inches from the steering wheel.

For a more involved modification I'd say a lightweight flywheel. Some people hate them and are adamant they can't be used on street cars but I love how they improve the responsiveness of the engine. That with a good clutch can completely change how a car feels.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/21 7:12 p.m.

In reply to infernosg :

For a long time, I had a 12A dowel pin as a shifter extension.

I liked being able to crowbar the shifter through a balky synchronizer...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/21 7:52 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Adding a third circuit that only operates when the engine is running.  I never knew this was missing from my life until I did it in a 73 Impala wagon that I used for camping.  The possibilities are endless, but not overly useful in motorsport.

You wire up a relay that grounds through the oil pressure sensor.  I put the signal wire for my sub amp on that so I could still listen to the radio when the engine was off and not kill the battery.  I hooked up a 100A solenoid between the front battery and one in the back so I could camp and drain the back battery but still start the car... and it would start charging the rear battery once the engine was running.  Angel eyes or DRLs.  I knew one guy who used it as a starting aid.  He had a 12.5:1 ethanol 502 that kept killing starters.  He hooked up the ignition lead to that.  Spun the starter until it made a little oil pressure and then it kicked on the spark, then rigged a kill switch after the relay to shut it off.

That is the real purpose for separate starter and ignition switches.  You can crank the engine to get it spinning before you switch in the ignition.

(video: the wrong way to do it)

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/21 9:22 p.m.

I've added one inch shims between the front of the driver's seat and slider to give me more thigh support and (sometimes) better headroom. 

I've also swapped in bigger rear sway bars to several different front wheel drive cars, and to my WRX. I've never regretted it. 

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) New Reader
2/19/21 1:04 a.m.

Foamectomy on a stock Miata seat and, as others have mentioned, upgrades to touch points like shift knob or steering wheel.

On my E90 rear subframe bushings. Cost ~$40 and made a huge improvement in how the car handled road imperfections. 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
2/19/21 2:03 a.m.

On my '01 GT:

• switched from a staggered setup of heavy/ugly 18x10 wheels with trash Lionhart tires (sidewall ripped apart while on the highway) to 17x9 Bullitts with square tire fitment all around on Firehawk Indy 500s - I reduced some unsprung mass while also cutting out understeer without touching the suspension
  • fresh Bosch Icons to replace blades that had never been touched in like 5 years
  • new headlights after the old ones got hazy and got condensation inside - threw in some white Silverstar bulbs since the previous owner had garbage LEDs installed
  • this was a beater since I didn't really care too much about the cosmetics, but I did spray-paint some splotchy parts all over the car just to make them stand-out less (it was all black, so it didn't need to be perfect)

Doing all this in a week's worked transformed the car from near-junkyard status to respectable (and functional) daily driver

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
2/19/21 1:26 p.m.

New door strikers. Transformed my experience with every car I've owned and it usually takes me a couple years of slamming the doors to get around to it. 

Oh and a front strut bar on my 84 rabbit. Fully transformed the handling allowing 4 wheel slides through corners.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/19/21 2:02 p.m.

There were two on my 02 Elantra that really made it great. Shifter and shifter base bushings and a tib rear sway bar. Those two things changed a boring car into something entertaining to drive.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/21 3:12 p.m.

Here's a couple I just finished on my Fiata. I upgraded the USB to be compatible with Android Auto, a feature they never offered on the Fiat 124. Luckily you can buy Mazda parts to make it work. It's hard to describe just how much better AA/CarPlay is than virtually any OEM infotainment system. Google Maps vs out-of-date Mazda navigation, Spotify on the screen instead of messing with your phone while driving, it's pretty great. And it will never feel obsolete as long as Android Auto keeps improving.

Install wasn't very "little" but it greatly improves the daily-driver quality.

I also took the time to properly install my dashcam, by tucking all the wires while I had the interior apart. It also plugs into the USB, and turns on/off with ignition, so I never have to worry about it draining the battery like on my old car. It's great piece of mind knowing I always have video of... whatever... happens on the road. 

calteg
calteg Dork
2/19/21 4:08 p.m.

For Miata: The brake master brace takes less than 10 minutes to install and firmed up the brake pedal by an impressive amount

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
2/20/21 8:41 a.m.

Heated seats in my former winter car, a Focus ZX3.

Eliminating the rubber donut in the steering shaft and installing a shift stop and shift bushing upgrade to eliminate most of the slop on my WRX. One of these days I may upgrade the engine mounts to lessen the drivetrain slop, which makes the car tricky to drive smoothly.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R3UAFTgEidCz0RzMBrQPCLW6BOFfIkGisLqzZsvSgV9KFbZvidolI0ZkXo2uOsKg