1 2 3
mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/7/21 2:02 p.m.

This may be moot if I buy my brothers car, but I need a beater. Here are my requirements: 

• Has a back seat.
  • Can fit a carseat. It is OK if it only fits a car seat with the passenger seat is up against the dash. 
  • Safe. No hard line on this one, but I live in Chicagoland. 
  • Reliable, and not maintenance intensive. I want to change the oil and that's it. 
  • Decent MPG. Lets say 22 city, and better highway? Prefer it to be in the 25+ range city, but definitely not necessary.
  • Last me at least 3 years
  • Can pass Illinois Emissions (not required for Diesel, though I doubt any diesel cars fit these requirements)

Bonus points, but not requirements

• manual
  • can fit a giant dog. Don't worry about the car seat with this. 

Here is what I have on my list so far - what am I missing? Any on here that shouldn't be? Keep in mind, some/most of these are going to be pretty rough examples to make it to my price point. 

• Prius. I really don't want this, but I think it makes the most sense. 
  • Honda Fit. I really like the idea of this one, with the magic seats. How are they holding up with over 150k, 200k miles?
  • Toyota Corollas
  • Toyntiac Vibetrix
  • Hyundai Elantra/Kia equivalent

What am I missing here? Any civics good in this category? Mazda3? Nissans? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 2:07 p.m.

You're missing ALL the Subarus, if you're OK with Subarus.  More common in manual trans too.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/21 2:16 p.m.

My daughters Mazda 3 that is now over 100k has been a bit needy of late.  Nothing catastrophic but stuff like a battery, tires, brake pads rotors plugs, belts, hoses fuel filter.  All basic service stuff but it adds up quick and her car is probably only worth 3-4K (Maybe more with coved car prices being what they are)

What I am getting here is that all of your suggestions are good starting points but at your price point and your "oil only" requirement you are going to have to find a car that is completely up to date with service and has a new set of tires, pads, rotors etc.  Now that said if you can find a car that all this stuff is needed AND you have the ability to do it you should be able to get a really good deal by negotiating the price based on shop rates and then do the work your self.  All of it can be done in a day in the driveway except the tires.  That is a pay to play thing.  These are the types of cars I look for.  

Back in the late 2000's I was getting early 2000's ford trucks for cheep as they had a dealer service coming due that was in the order of 2-3K.  I could do it for less than 1K in parts and fluids.  Do you homework and in your case and your price range each car is going to have to be looked at carefully as there are multiple variables that will dictate if the car is for you.

asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam Reader
4/7/21 2:23 p.m.

My 07 Ford Fusion V6/Auto has been both reliable and cheap to own. At 200K now and I've had it since 142K and all its needed is oil changes, tires, spark plugs, front outer tie rods, and valve cover gaskets. I paid 4K for it 6 or 7 years ago.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/7/21 2:25 p.m.

Toyota Yaris. Absurd fuel mileage, dead-nuts reliable, adults can ride comfortably in the back seats, available in multiple body styles, surprisingly fun to drive. The Yaris also tends to command less of a premium than a Fit. When I bought my Yaris for $3900, a Fit in similar mileage and condition was on average $2000 more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 2:28 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Ooh, yes.  And the Yaris' hideous, cheaper cousin, the Echo.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/7/21 2:31 p.m.
dean1484 said:

My daughters Mazda 3 that is now over 100k has been a bit needy of late.  Nothing catastrophic but stuff like a battery, tires, brake pads rotors plugs, belts, hoses fuel filter.  All basic service stuff but it adds up quick and her car is probably only worth 3-4K (Maybe more with coved car prices being what they are)

What I am getting here is that all of your suggestions are good starting points but at your price point and your "oil only" requirement you are going to have to find a car that is completely up to date with service and has a new set of tires, pads, rotors etc.  Now that said if you can find a car that all this stuff is needed AND you have the ability to do it you should be able to get a really good deal by negotiating the price based on shop rates and then do the work your self.  All of it can be done in a day in the driveway except the tires.  That is a pay to play thing.  These are the types of cars I look for.  

Back in the late 2000's I was getting early 2000's ford trucks for cheep as they had a dealer service coming due that was in the order of 2-3K.  I could do it for less than 1K in parts and fluids.  Do you homework and in your case and your price range each car is going to have to be looked at carefully as there are multiple variables that will dictate if the car is for you.

Yeah, that is understood. I more meant no cars that need a timing belt every 20k miles, nothing that eats brake pads and front tires for breakfast, nothing that has known issues that "its realiable as long as you do XYZ every oil change" type of deals. I want to jump in it, drive it to a hockey rink, drive it home, and then leave it parked for two weeks or do it again the next day. Not looking for a hobby vehicle here. 

In reply to mtn :

I came here to say Honda Fit(you're not surprised, are you?). Our daughter's 1st gen has about 230k on it now without any problems & just needing basic maintenance. I replaced the plugs & coil packs about a month ago - the plugs were shot, the coils were cheap & she was going on a road trip. The alternator sucks to replace, so I farmed that out about a year ago. It wasn't expensive though, just required removing a coolant line to get it out.

Our other daughter's 2nd gen is doing fine at just over 200k. No problems with it either, just infrequent/routine maintenance. 

You probably saw my post about a month ago about helping our son-in-law buy a manual 2nd gen. After driving it I wouldn't worry too much about seeking out a manual. It's like the few other manual Honda's I've driven - the clutch is really light & hard to feel the engagement point & the shifter is rather vague - which might be due to the miles, I have no idea.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/7/21 2:34 p.m.

2001 Acura GSR sedan. Stock and mint 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/7/21 2:41 p.m.

Manual cars that people don't think of and don't want seem like a great way to get a decent cheap appliance car.  This is John Welch's theory.   Look for stuff like a manual Fusion/Milan, Matrix/Vibe, Sonata, things like that.  Mazda5 came in manual too and very few of those buyers want that.  

I agree with a Fit though, those are great.  Mazda 3s are good in this category too if you can find one with no rust.  We just retired ours to Lemons car status after 250k miles and I keep two others in the family on the road with minimal work.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/7/21 2:53 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Uhhhh do any of those actually exist today? Because if you can show me one... 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/7/21 3:10 p.m.

We used to fit my Alaskan Malamute in the back of our Mazda 2. It passes the giant dog test. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/21 3:18 p.m.

I think it’s worth adding 2012+ Focus with a manual to the list  (avoid the automatic.)

Besides the well known issues with the dct auto they are pretty durable.

It’s not super exciting but with a manual would be better.

In terms of features, refinement and, size It’s a big step up from the previous generation, and small stuff like the Fit or Yaris. It handles a rear facing baby seat as well as our Mazda5 and does 35-40 mpg all day everyday.

Mine is a sedan with an auto. If it were a hatch with a stick it would be the perfect appliance.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/7/21 3:20 p.m.
mtn said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Uhhhh do any of those actually exist today? Because if you can show me one... 

Yes it does. I owned one. 20 year acura dealer service history including light bulbs changed at dealer.

Sold it here recently. Search it here by my name. Gorgeous machine 

It's coming back up for sale again. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/7/21 3:35 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

If that could be bought for $3500 it should be.

I believe that is a very specific opportunity, however.  I do not believe they are common or even occasional at that price point and condition.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/21 3:36 p.m.

06-11 sonata came with a 2.4/manual. Good cars. Roomy, decent fuel economy and with the double wishbone suspension the craptastic Chicagoland roads won't beat you to death. I saw a ton of those in the 3-5k range. 

bmw88rider (Supportive Dude)
bmw88rider (Supportive Dude) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/7/21 3:43 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

That will be a little more than $3500 when it comes up. :)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/7/21 4:00 p.m.

I have a really nice 2001 subaru forester sitting around right now with 130K miles on it and a manual. It's salvage but its been in SoCal or close it whole life and I could do 2500$ for it for a GRM member if you want to come out to California. You could put another 75K miles on it with just oil changes. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/7/21 4:01 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Giant dog?  This image always stuck in my head.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/21 4:07 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/7/21 4:16 p.m.
mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/7/21 4:34 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd be looking for a TSX. 

But also Jaguar. 

Also this:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/514062432918203/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Abdcf034e-7587-4c01-9044-1f4cf0b8f398

You checked out TSX prices lately? That is actually my brother's car that could render this moot if I buy it, but I think that he and I are a little bit apart on the value of it with the rust. Actually, I know we are. 

The Volvo looks awesome, especially with that interior. I'd be making a whole lot of acceptions to my reliable with only oil changes requirements for it, but the thing that really removes it is that the ad says "This is not a car for childish people". Well, that removes me. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/21 4:54 p.m.

May be selling our son's 2007 Camry this Fall.  Not sure how soon you would be needing something. It's a 4 banger though, around 12x,000 miles if I remember right. Definitely not a rocket but good gas and probably as reliable as anything. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/7/21 5:18 p.m.
infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
4/7/21 5:45 p.m.

I have a very similar set of requirements right now so hopefully I can help. The Toyota Matrix is something to consider, especially if you can get the XRS model with the peppy engine. It's basically a Corolla wagon. Also, I'll toss a vote in for the Prius - my wife has one and it's fantastic. If you don't mind the car being a bit boring, it's about as good as you can get. Practically zero maintenance other than tires and oil, 50+ mpg (45 if you drive like my wife), cheap tires, comfortable interior, plenty of room being a hatchback. And put it in power mode where the engine and the electrical motor run at the same time and I've gotten it to light up the front tires haha. And they're getting cheap and they run forever. I want something sportier but I might wind up just getting a Prius since they're so cheap to own and reliable. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c4WRqk4Kl2rsq7evPwgdd73LGKslTSVTsmjMDCNOFW2ALCoWo7oTsbvv2ZBCMb1C