1 2
Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
8/1/13 7:59 p.m.

The stock seats in my Fiat 850 project are atomically crappy. Not only do they have ZERO bolster, they are actually slightly convex, so they are actively trying to push my torso out of their way.

So, here's the deal: I need some well-bolstered, relatively lightweight (say under 35-40lbs each), easily obtained seats. The trouble is, I'm having trouble coming up with possible candidates.

The obvious answer is Miata, yes, but what else am I forgetting? The hollow headrest Integra seats (2nd gen?)? Late Porsche 914?

What sayeth the hive?

failboat
failboat SuperDork
8/1/13 8:15 p.m.

Miata seats aren't that light

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
8/1/13 8:16 p.m.

Lotus Elise? Small, light, comfortable, and plenty of Elise owners take them out for even racier seats.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
8/1/13 8:25 p.m.

Miata seats are lighter than most of the thrones I've lifted out of various vehicles. They are also NARROW. That is why the LBC crowd seek them out. The available space may end up being the deciding factor over weight depending on how much you have to work with.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/13 8:32 p.m.

Fiero seats are not bad

t25torx
t25torx Reader
8/1/13 8:36 p.m.

Honda Insight seats don't look half bad and are pretty light from what I have read.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/13 8:41 p.m.

If you're willing to spend some money the OMP classics fit the style of the car.

http://www.ompracing-usa.com/detail.html?productcode=HA/737E

$300/seat isnt all that bad.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
8/1/13 8:45 p.m.

I put Dodge Stealth seats in the pickup, light and nice bolstering. Honda, toyota, and nissan all make good seats but at the junkyard they are all trashed. For me condition was very important, so a dodge with 60k miles might not have as nice sets as a toyota but the dodge seats aren't trashed with a differential sitting on it.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
8/1/13 8:47 p.m.

Honda Del sol seats

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
8/1/13 9:07 p.m.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/13 9:13 p.m.

I don't know about weight, but I love the B13 SE-R's stock seats.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
8/1/13 9:25 p.m.

Awesome. Thank you for expanding my list of possible candidates. The Fiero seats also seem to be popular with the LBC crowd. PnP has two reasonably fresh cars in Vancouver. I'll have to give them a bit of a test ride.

The Elise seats were on my original list, but didn't meet the easily obtained requirement.

I wish I could swing the lowback OMP buckets, but I don't think I can bring myself to shell out twofold what I originally paid for the car. The next project in line will absolutely get a pair of those.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
8/1/13 10:26 p.m.
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/1/13 10:52 p.m.

00-05 celica

Mx3 (earlier ones are nice recaros)

~92ish integra

Porsche 914

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
8/1/13 11:03 p.m.

Porsche 914 is my first thought as well. For high back seats maybe something from an 80s Honda? I think preludes have nice ones. Or MK2 VW GTI. Kirkey makes nice lowback seats, but they are about $350 each.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
8/1/13 11:25 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: 00-05 celica Mx3 (earlier ones are nice recaros)

Added to the walking list! Thanks.

I really do love the OMP and Corbeau lowbacks, but I'm looking for budget friendly OEM solutions at the moment.

The Kirkeys are an absolute no-go. The car has almost no suspension travel, the seats are the only thing that is going to make it bearable to drive on our berkeleyed-up city streets. If it were plush as a Cadillac, I'd toss some "Bomber" seats in there and call it a day.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
8/1/13 11:59 p.m.

Don't some of the old VW's have Recaros in them? Probably not easy to find though.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
8/2/13 12:10 a.m.

Yeah, MKII "Trophy" Recaros fetch pretty good money now. I'm straying away from VW stuff because the mounting is absolutely berkeleyed-up. You gotta remember the tracks are built into the car, and the slides are mounted, dongily if you will, on the seats.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
8/2/13 1:45 a.m.

I found a great set of VW recaros and couldn't for the damn of me figure out how you could change the configuration to work in my truck. The center mount slide rail is a killer.

jere
jere HalfDork
8/2/13 1:56 a.m.

Srt 4, 91-94 SE-R, Starion/Conquest, are supposed to be pretty good if you can find them

jere
jere HalfDork
8/2/13 2:00 a.m.

In reply to benzbaronDaryn:

I would say you have to stick with the sportier versions at least for Nissan. My NX2000 seats are back breakers, and Stanza, and Sentra GXE were just barely a step up from bench seats.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
8/2/13 6:01 a.m.

TR7 seats are light, extremely comfortable and sit very low on the floor. Recaro out of BMW 320i and other models are slightly heavier, more expensive and hard to find quality covers for, but they look great. There were some leather Saturn seats that fit the bill and they have that cool net on the seat back for maps and such.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/2/13 6:05 a.m.

+1 for stealth/3kgt cloths. size/weight may be a factor, but dang could those gobble up the miles.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
8/2/13 6:42 a.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: Yeah, MKII "Trophy" Recaros fetch pretty good money now. I'm straying away from VW stuff because the mounting is absolutely berkeleyed-up. You gotta remember the tracks are built into the car, and the slides are mounted, dongily if you will, on the seats.

If you happen to come across the Recaros from a MkII GTI 16V they have flat bottoms and the track is detachable.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/2/13 7:20 a.m.

I was thinking both TR7 and Porsche 914 seats. Bonus points if you find them in tartan or something.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CKFCIapc4AWZhGBBx7EmwJUOMOTjQh3iDaXMzmYTherkV0ROwL2sQLljemS5gAUb