1 2
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/27/12 2:00 a.m.

I stumbled upon this when looking for project cars. WTH is it?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/27/12 2:05 a.m.

Saab Sonnet III. FWD, V4 engine. Only about 8,000 were made. I've always really liked the styling.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
6/27/12 2:06 a.m.

saab sonett

V4 engine IIRC, similar to the Ford cologne V6 design with 2 less cylinders

rallymodeller
rallymodeller New Reader
6/27/12 2:08 a.m.
WhiteLX wrote: saab sonett V4 engine IIRC, similar to the Ford cologne V6 design with 2 less cylinders

Yep, same Ford of Europe engine used in (for example) the German Ford Taunus.

There is one of these in a body shop lot in London, ON as well. I stop and visit it every time I go by...

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/27/12 2:26 a.m.

Okay, round two.

Jeepster?

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
6/27/12 2:50 a.m.

looks like it, a Jeepster commando.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/27/12 5:46 a.m.

Yeah, Jeepster Commando. And a Sonnet III as well; confirmed on both. My father's friend used to road race Sonnets back in the early '70s.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/27/12 6:20 a.m.
WhiteLX wrote: saab sonett V4 engine IIRC, similar to the Ford cologne V6 design with 2 less cylinders

Reverse that. The Cologne V6 is the V4 with two more cylinders. The V4 had a balance shaft, which is why all V6s have the goofy wide and offset oil pan rail. Then they re-added the balance shaft for 4wd 4-liters (but not 2wd).

Just to make things fun, Ford of Europe had TWO V4s, one English and one German.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/27/12 7:33 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: Okay, round two. Jeepster?

That is cool.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
6/27/12 7:39 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: Okay, round two. [jeepster pic] Jeepster?
That is cool.

The worst thing about a Jeepster is all the parts available to fix CJs' body work and the almost complete lack of such parts for the Jeepster. Mechanically, I'd imagine, you would be okay, but the Jeepster only parts...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/27/12 7:42 a.m.

Weren't Sonnetts made of fiberglass?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/12 7:45 a.m.
RossD wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
That is cool.
The worst thing about a Jeepster is all the parts available to fix CJs' body work and the almost complete lack of such parts for the Jeepster. Mechanically, I'd imagine, you would be okay, but the Jeepster only parts...

But...you can mount CJ fenders, grill and hood on a Commando.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/27/12 7:46 a.m.

I'd love that Sonnet. Neat cars. That one looks to be in restorable condition if the floor pan hasn't returned to Earth due to sitting.

FWIW, the Ford V4 is still in production as an industrial engine (pumps, generators and such). The V4 is the least of one's worries when looking at an old Saab.

Woody
6/27/12 7:46 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Weren't Sonnetts made of fiberglass?

Sonetts had a fiberglass body over a stamped steel frame.

I have books on them. In Swedish.

Woody
6/27/12 7:48 a.m.

Sonetts also had a freewheeling transmission and came from the factory with a roll bar. They were very common at rallies and ice races.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/27/12 7:49 a.m.
RossD wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
That is cool.

Meh there are welders and body hammers.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/12 8:05 a.m.

Someone is WV is dreaming of the Sonnet body on the Jeepster frame...

Woody
6/27/12 8:20 a.m.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/27/12 8:36 a.m.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
6/27/12 9:16 a.m.

I resemble the incineration behind that remark.

That advertisment is trying to convince us that front wheel drive cars understeer less than rear drive. Yeah, right.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
6/27/12 10:01 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: Okay, round two. Jeepster?
That is cool.

A Jeepster Commando was the first car that I bought. If I am correct the CJ-6 was the same frame and drivetrain. It was rather quick with a 225 c.i. v-6 and 3 speed manual. Where is that one?

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/27/12 10:16 a.m.

Muscle Car Hunters, Conway AR.

Under this thumbnail which stands for "other crap"

I like their style.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/27/12 10:57 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: Muscle Car Hunters, Conway AR. Under this thumbnail which stands for "other crap" I like their style.

That Sonett has been for sale there for a long time, the rear glass is missing, and the interior is shot.I haven't talked to the guy in a while.

They also had, IIRC, a rare Yenko or Baldwin Motion Corvette...something like that. Seems like it's the place where unfinished projects go to die.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
6/27/12 12:07 p.m.

I seen one of those Saabs tucked behind a shop a friend of a friend had. He was putting the exhaust on my S10 years ago. I got to look at it pretty good look at it. I thought it looked odd, but was interested in it because it's rare and the weird little engine. It stayed there for a while after he closed up shop, then, it just disappeared. No one knows where it went, even the shop owner.

Powar
Powar Dork
6/27/12 1:47 p.m.

I'm very glad to be Sonett-less now. Sold both of mine last year.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gQs0YF7yCiOyD7ixrvMmGchZrS6pmEOjoLnpvrnCDH3iIGckeb59MXqEYDlVh3W6