1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/21 9:30 a.m.

We write about tires quite a bit here at GRM.

All of our cars use them, and they’re a huge variable in a car’s performance. And there are just so many offerings out there.

So. Many. Offerings.

You’ve got full-on race tires, retro-inspired classic tires and street-legal tires that can survive a day at the track.

So, a question—call this …

Read the rest of the story

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/5/21 9:33 a.m.

I'm a Kumho street tire fan. I preferred Hankook RS-(insert newest number here)'s for most of my race cars. I'm running Falkens.... both street and track. I'm so confused.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 9:35 a.m.

I just want to be able to buy the same tires twice in a row instead of having to start from scratch every time. Remember how easy it used to be when all you did was just pick up another set of RA-1s?

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
8/5/21 9:37 a.m.

Hard TW on 2 daily drivers, ATs on the farm truck, winters on the Rallycross car.  I'd love to see some reviews of grass, mud and gravel tires on different drivetrain platforms. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/5/21 9:45 a.m.

I run Continentals for street and winter driving. For my autocross car, I run whatever is available in 245/40R15, which right now is those new Nankang johnnies. I'd love to run a 245/40R15 Nexen N Fera SUR4G, and according to Nexen they have been contacted repeatedly about such an offering, but they have yet to start making them in that size.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 9:50 a.m.

On performance cars I generally prefer longer-wearing 200TW/EPS tires like the Hankook RS3/RS4 or Dunlop Z3, I sometimes run DOT-R semi-slicks if I can get cheap used ones. My Toyobaru came with some 300TW summer tires on it and I'll be looking for some longer-wearing 200TWs when those wear out.

I may shift to faster-wearing cheaty 200TWs if street miles continue to be low.

Favorite tires I've driven on, if price is no object, would be Hoosier A7s or Kumho C03s.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/5/21 9:57 a.m.

RS-4 on the miata. Might go with something grippier when these wear out, I only drive it about once a month 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
8/5/21 10:03 a.m.

Run NT-01's and love them. 

Would like more information on the science behind (and results of said science) heat cycles and their effect on grip/lap times for various low TW rated track day special tires. Everyone comments on how tires are heat cycled out/garbage/run out of tread but haven't seen many articles use data and tread measurements to analyze this to compare them all. 

Specifically aimed at HPDE event users (4 20 to 30 min sessions) because lets face it that the pool for that type of client is MUCH bigger than the pool for racers and time trial'ers. 

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/5/21 10:06 a.m.

I want treaded tires that can hold up to daily driving but also put in fast autocross times for under $100 per tire. devil I know I know, you can't have it all. Gonna probably end up with something like Spec Miata takeoffs for the challenge car, RT660s for the autocross car, and whatever's cheap for the daily.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/5/21 10:33 a.m.

We don't have really cold or long winters here and any snow we get is usually pretty quickly melted so I always opt for high performance summer rather than an all weather.

The Solstice coupe sits on Michelin PSS which I really like - but they have discontinued it in my size (245x45-18) so I will have to either change size of tires when it is time to change.

The Z4M coupe has one step down (225x45-18F  255x40-18 R) and am using BFG G-force sport Comp-2 which are quite good an d enough for the use I have for that car, if not quite as sticky as the Michelins.  May go to the Michelins next time around. I don't put enough mileage on either car to wear them out before they age out

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/5/21 10:35 a.m.

Im running continental all seasons on the dailies. 

Cooper discoverer ht3 on the truck 

Federal rs-rr on the miata 

Federal super steel on the duster 

Dunlop star specs on the neon. 

I want to know more about performance all seasons, truck tires, and trailer tires. Those are applicable every day, vs one set of competition rubber every other year 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
8/5/21 11:00 a.m.

Woah, Woah, Woah. Wait a dang minute here!

You are telling me that there is more than one tire available in the size you guys need? I seriously cannot fathom having more than one decent choice.

Says the owner of a classic mini on 10's, VW rabbit on 14's and a Fiat needs a 21-ish inch tall 13 that will fit a 7.5" wide wheel

damonl
damonl GRM+ Member
8/5/21 11:08 a.m.

Running RE-71R, looking at RT660, CR1, and A052. Would love to see how these three compare in another test in which tire sizes are identical. I like the RT660 price, but willing to shell out more money for the best tire. Particularly interested in seeing how CR1 and A052 in the same sizes stack up at an autocross. Driving 2007 Cayman, going to square the wheels/tires for STR class autocross at 255/35-18 on 9-inch-wide wheels.

On a side note, I would like to see a test of endurance 200 treadwear tires that includes the Nankang NS-2R, which I already own and will use for track days but have never seen in a comparison test.

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
8/5/21 11:44 a.m.

I run Nitto NT05 (200TW) on my C5 Z06 used for HPDE events. I run a square setup and this is one of very few tires available in a 295/35-18

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 11:49 a.m.

I daily nokian WRGs and I'd like to pick up nankang CR-1s for autocrossing. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/21 12:13 p.m.

For the (driven there and back) track car, I run R-S4s when I can get them, I love them for the combination of grip vs. wear.  

I've had RE-71rs, and they're great (and about .7s faster), but they wear like crazy if you get stuck on a hot track day with them.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/21 12:18 p.m.
slowbird said:

I want treaded tires that can hold up to daily driving but also put in fast autocross times for under $100 per tire. devil I know I know, you can't have it all. Gonna probably end up with something like Spec Miata takeoffs for the challenge car, RT660s for the autocross car, and whatever's cheap for the daily.

The Dunlop direzzas dz2 I had on my miata was pretty close to that 

misshift (Forum Supporter)
misshift (Forum Supporter) New Reader
8/5/21 12:18 p.m.

Michelin Defender on the GMC pu and the E450 RV. The RV left rear inner tire got poked by a 3/8 bolt. Non-repairable. Found out Defenders no longer available. Now what? Still using the no name spare. 

Street cars, always Michelin of some sort. 

ChampCar, RE-71R, love em. Last for more than the two full days of racing on a BMW E36. Good value for the price.  I believe there was a blurb in one of the GRM tire articles that they have ended production. Bummer, another now what? 

Enclosed trailer, Maxxis trailer tires.

Mountain Bike, Continentals 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
8/5/21 12:27 p.m.

On the racecar I preferred the Direzza ZII *Spec. It was the perfect blend of longevity, lateral grip and communication and the price in my size, 225/50R16, was reasonable. I could get a full 14.5 hour race out of 4 tires and still have a decent pair as backups at the next race. We've run RT615Ks and RS4s since. The Falkens seem to be a bit better in the rain but not as much grip. The RS4s were similar to the RT615K but didn't last as long.

On the sporty daily I've been all over the place in my 52000 miles of ownership. Tires don't last very long. The best grip/price/rain combo was the old BFG Sport Comp-2 but they wore horribly. My friend borrowed that car on a rainy day because his car was leaking. When he came home from work he said the tires were too good and made the car not fun in the rain. I call that a success. The front two lasted 5000 miles and the rears 8000 miles. Oof. Currently it has a the Nankang NS25 and I've been happy so far but only about 600 miles into ownership.

The winter ride wears a Cooper Evolution Winter Studded. Might be my favorite tires ever. A lightweight 4x4 with these tires goes ANYWHERE. I've gotten 3 seasons of 5 months each so far and I'm feeling good going into my next winter. Amazing grip in both acceleration and stopping. Very friendly past the limit. Not terribly noisy. And I still get 21.5mpg average.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/21 12:28 p.m.

I have been partial to Continental for the last few sets of tires for various vehicles.  ECS for the Miata.  

They seem to be the best bang for the buck at the moment.  Very high ratings on Tire Rack.

I just don't want to pay the Michelin tax for a slight percentage performance increase on street driven vehicles.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/21 12:32 p.m.

On racecar...  currently hankook rs4.

Last forever, but seem to cycle out before worn out.

I'd like a tire that maybe had less life and less lap time.

The new coopers fit this perfectly, but the glorious 245 40 15 size is not yet available...

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/5/21 12:35 p.m.

My choices are,  Dunlop Vintage, Goodyear Blue streak Vintage, Hoosier Vintage. 
  I prefer Dunlop because the loss of grip is slow  and a couple of years later they still remain decent. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
8/5/21 12:41 p.m.

I run Avon A-11s on the Zoomboni.  What would be stickier in a 23x10.5x15?

Are they faster or slower than the A7 Hoho?

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
8/5/21 12:47 p.m.

Nitto NT-05 here on the fun car.  Dailys get yoko's, general or continentals.

flistener
flistener None
8/5/21 1:20 p.m.

was on PilotSport 4S -->  now Conti Contact Extreme Sport. Both excellent dailies and good race. 

I'd like to know more about the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ZP Track Connect for a race only set of wheels. And in general, all best track-only options for heavier cars.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oqb7DK0ERz8SVjLGUJqNJc20gSt8YLaDOoKzaEKN12pv5WqAUCkSBeaU8jh66inA