ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
11/11/16 9:08 a.m.

Welp, I've just about smoked the old Prius tires on the '14 Ferz.

I'm pretty sure I'm going for Star Specs or RE71Rs for track and autocross use, but I need help finding some replacements for standard day-to-day use.

Now, here's the thing. I'm not one who feels the need to run super sticky rubber on the street. Almost the opposite. I like the Prius tires even; but they're expensive, they don't last long, and I'm not sure I need summer-only tires (which the Prius tires are) for the level of performance I'm looking for.

I want tires with only moderate grip, but good wet braking and good feel. Bonus would be if they were somewhat long-wearing and from a brand I have heard of before.

What do you think?

NickD
NickD Dork
11/11/16 9:11 a.m.

Not sure if they're available in your size (should be), but people can't say enough good things about the Continental DWS. As for your track tires, in the case of Star Spec vs. RE71R, run the Bridgestones.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/16 9:39 a.m.

Depending on your size, and whether you need something that works at low temps, Michelin Pilot Supersports have a 300 TW rating, and they provide a moneyback treadwear guarantee. DWS is usually cheaper, but depending on size, the Michelins can be pretty reasonably priced-- especially if you can find one of those $70 off of a set of 4 rebates.

I've like them from the standpoint of road noise in a daily drive application, and the road noise characteristics hang in there quite well as they wear.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/11/16 9:55 a.m.

Conti DW, skip the DWS all season junk.

The DW punch way above their price.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
11/11/16 9:58 a.m.

I'm not sure everyone is getting my point, I DON'T want maximum grip out of my street tires.

Think of this as a version of "slow car fast."

The Conti DWS are definitely promising.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/11/16 10:34 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Conti DW, skip the DWS all season junk. The DW punch way above their price.

First off, I disagree completely with your characterization of the DWS. Second off, it's exactly the tire he said he's looking for.

I have the DWS on my wife's car year round. I have the DW on my car 8-9 months a year (sometimes 12 months, sometimes 0 months, but that's a different story). Both cars are sport-ish sedans in the 3400-lb range. I love both sets of tires without hesitation, for what they do.

The DWs have stood up well to autocross use as well as daily driving in reasonable weather. They have good dry and wet grip. But they start getting crabby when the temperature hits the low 40s, and they get worse from there. They are near to useless in even light snow. I have to have dedicated snow / winter tires.

The DWS is without doubt an all-season tire, but they do all-season very well. Some people like the poster above seem to have an existential hatred for all-season tires. I do not share that sentiment. All-seasons have their place, and in that place, from my experience, the DWS is a great tire. They have above-average grip and driving dynamics in the dry (for an all-season tire), they have truly excellent wet weather performance, and they handle Midatlantic snow with confidence. Plus, I've gotten great service life out of the set on my wife's TSX. I'm planning on replacing them with exactly the same tire. These have something like 30,000 miles on them and they are aging out, but still have plenty of tread, even on a camber-challenged FWD car.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/11/16 11:31 a.m.

He didn't specifically say he wanted an all-season, and the DW is far from the stickiest street tire. But it's quiet, comfy, fantastic in the rain, etc.

But I daily my BRZ on 255/35/18 Star Specs, even in light slush/snow, so I possibly have a different prespective.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
11/11/16 11:59 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: But I daily my BRZ on 255/35/18 Star Specs, even in light slush/snow

That seems... ill advised?

Anyway. I have a set of full-snows (firestone winterforce). My thought with all-seasons is that, since I am looking for mid-range grip anyway, maybe I can get a set of 3-season tires that won't be hockey pucks on that occasional mid-fall or mid-spring 35 degree morning that we routinely get here in central Ohio. I wouldn't say I have settled on either all-seasons or summer only tires, but the DWS has lots of good reviews and is like 1/3 off what the OEM Michelins would run me.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
11/11/16 12:06 p.m.

Less money than DWS but overall at least equal: BFG Comp-2 A/S. Give them a look. I have been extremely pleased with them on SWMBO's Focus.

failboat
failboat UberDork
11/11/16 12:11 p.m.

I have a tendancy to favor cheap price over almost everything and I run nothing but uhp all seasons.

I liked the hankook ventus v2 concept H432's, had 2 sets, ran a set on my hyundai accent for 50k miles and got close to that on my wifes 2012 focus. this old tire has been superceded by a newer model with a more pedestrian tread pattern.

I put 30k miles on a set of General GMAX AS03's and there was still a ton of tread left when I sold the Accent.

Now I have a mazda 5 that eats tires so I try to avoid directional tires so I can cross rotate. But if your car wears tires well for directionals, I liked the generals.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
11/11/16 12:14 p.m.

Another vote for the DW or DWS. I have DWS on my DD and like them for the previously stated reasons. They're good in the rain, cold, and pretty quiet. Grip is definitely better than most all seasons.

DW is good for similar reasons, but not good in cold temps.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
11/11/16 1:01 p.m.

What climate do you live in? Is snow a factor and do you see lots of rain?

If you really want to sharpen up the car I would recommend going to 205/45-17 tire size, specifically with Continental DW (would HIGHLY recommend 17x7.5 +40mm offset wheels with DW's though). Going to that size gets you the lightest tire and a nearly .2" CG drop as bonus, which translates to a more grounded feel at high speed and in cornering. At the same time you still get to play with the chassis like on the stock tires but with more grip in the turns or on less than ideal surfaces. Tread width is also the same as stock... so your contact patch is shaped the same.

I like the stock tires generally, but not really their wet manners when tread is less than half way down. Wet driving is very high priority where I live, and the DW have been the best tire I've yet experienced in the wet... grips like its in the dry and deep standing water at 80+mph is nothing.

The DW has a noticeably softer sidewall than the stock tires and is less sensitive as a result. What that gives you though is a 'cushion' to ride when cornering hard... absolutely perfect for running fun, windy roads with a secure and non twitchy result, absolutely planted and unfliching in corners with very progressive feel. It's a different way of cornering than stock, but one I find more enjoyable than stock. My car has tweaks to make it quicker and sharper in responsiveness than a stock one, so I can't say this exact feel would translate to a stock car.

After trying the DW's, I wouldn't settle for anything less on an FR-S for DD if wet weather is a major factor. Max performance tire category is as high as you need to go for a daily tire and it is the category with the best wet weather tires. If wet weather driving is the main selection priority, then you need a Max Performance category tire.

I will say that stiffer engine mounts, solid steering rack bushings, and a proper strut tower mount really sharpen up the car and improve its ride quality. Most notably the stiffer engine mount - you don't realize how the wide boxer motor flopping around on the stock rubber negatively influences the handling and ride quality until you install stiffer motor mounts. The stiffer mounts actually soften the impact you receive from things like speedbumps and mismatched expansion joints, resulting in a more controlled ride with less impact 'bobble'.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/11/16 1:23 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote:
z31maniac wrote: But I daily my BRZ on 255/35/18 Star Specs, even in light slush/snow

It's what you have to do when you have one set of wheels/tires.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
11/11/16 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111:

I live in central Ohio, but I do have a set of winter tires for the car, so I don't care about real heavy snow traction for the tires in question.

I don't know if I'd describe Columbus as a rainy place, but it definitely rains enough that I care about wet traction.

Which engine mounts, etc. do you recommend?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/11/16 1:38 p.m.

For a nice riding, good wearing, decent tire that is QUIET, I can't recommend the Kumho Platinum LX enough. Step the tire size a tick narrower and the sidewall a hair taller with the 205/50/17. I did that and the ride is better and wet traction is much better. I'm currently on winter #2 with the Kumho PA31 in htat size on the Forte. PRetty decent tire overall. They have about 25k miles and are wearing really nice and are staying quiet. The Forte is NOT forgiving on a loud tire.

trucke
trucke Dork
11/11/16 4:07 p.m.

I like the Toyo Versado Noir's I have on the Focus. They handle quite well for a touring tire with a UTQG of 620AA. They also work well in the rain.

Treaddepot Link

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
11/11/16 4:15 p.m.

I have Cooper CS tires on my CX-5 and have no complaints. They seem to handle my commute alright (especially on/off ramps ). They should be available in sizes for the FR-S.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
11/11/16 5:52 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: In reply to Vracer111: I live in central Ohio, but I do have a set of winter tires for the car, so I don't care about real heavy snow traction for the tires in question. I don't know if I'd describe Columbus as a rainy place, but it definitely rains enough that I care about wet traction. Which engine mounts, etc. do you recommend?

I went with the Perrin engine mounts (and transmission support). I'm sure others work just as well, but I like the design of the Perrin units for easier access to remove motor in future and they were having a discount at the time. I made heat shielding for them (custom thermal barrier blanket of header wrap and aluminum tape) due to the polyurethane bushing being close to the header primaries and reports of them melting. The main reason I got the engine mounts was because of the CAE Ultra shifter, highly recommended to upgrade the mounts for that shifting system due to very tight tolerances and possible issues with stock mounts.

Any solid steering rack bushings should work, I went with Turn-in Concept aluminum ones because of group deal. Delrin ones work just the same as aluminum and are Autocross legal. Incedible how good the stock rubber bushings do with all the slop, loose fit, and non-concentric position - but there is a weird, slight midturn hesitation present stock, mostly noticeable once you have sticky rubber mounted. The solid metal bushings have a very precise and concentric fit, and no slightly weird midturn tendancies - absolutely linear and precise response in steering along with a little more feel.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/11/16 7:19 p.m.

I've heard good things about the H/V rated General RT43 (the HP replacement).

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
11/12/16 10:29 a.m.

nevermind... already replaced with the 970

I liked my Bridgestone RE960AS when I could get them (my car used them when they offered 14")

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
11/12/16 11:03 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: I've heard good things about the H/V rated General RT43 (the HP replacement).

I had a set on my Civic Hybrid and they were fantastic. They had good manners and were sure footed wet or dry.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/12/16 1:24 p.m.

I've seen two recommendations that I have used. The B stone RE960/970 and the Cooper CS 4/5. I had 2 sets of 960s on my neon. More grip than I could use on the street, great in the rain, and bald in less than 20k. The various CS's have been good touring tires. I currently have the high mile T rated sets on both my wife's and my own car.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
11/12/16 2:00 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
ShadowSix wrote:
It's what you have to do when you have one set of wheels/tires.

You can't store Star Specs in cold conditions, so presumably you're wrecking them by using them in cold temps. I can't help but wonder if a max performance tire would be better suited to you. They might out perform ruined Star Specs too. ;)

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
11/13/16 10:43 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Step the tire size a tick narrower and the sidewall a hair taller with the 205/50/17.

I'm liking this idea. A lot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vtEOVqFIFQrzi4cGN5AqS0jqbBhYiqC875npApiWQKlyYz1clrA6PsXf2JsNj15s