1 2
weemanch
weemanch New Reader
4/29/11 2:43 a.m.

okay so i want to stay in sts for autocross. right now i am told my miata would be in sts by someone that has a lot of experience. here is a little info on my girlie car.i also need to find a rather tame alignment setup as well.

96 miata with PPE so it has a 4.30 rear gear along with a lsd :) which makes for some rather fun times.along with NB top mounts and a set of tein super streets.cars currently on stock rims with i think they are called (for the tire company) kelly something one another. they mildly remind me of a rs3's(look wise at least).also the thing has a custom cat back exhaust. along with the hard top.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/11 6:01 a.m.

Ok and what are we asking here? Do you want an alternative to your miata? Are you selling your miata? Sounds like a nice car!

mw
mw HalfDork
4/29/11 6:08 a.m.

I don't know what PPE is, but I don't think you can run a 96 with an LSD legally. Bases on what you have listed so far, I think you would find the most time by getting a set of wheels and tires. 15x7.5 and your choice of the many sts tires offered. Despite having similar tread patterns, your current tires will be much slower than rs3's

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/11 7:12 a.m.

You can run the viscus LSD if it was an option for your car. You can't change your rear ratio.

I "think" PPE is a header. If so, it has to meet the rules for catalytic convertors.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/29/11 7:47 a.m.

Are 2 seat cars legal in STS? I thought there was another ST? class for them.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/11 7:52 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Are 2 seat cars legal in STS? I thought there was another ST? class for them.

You're living in the past, man....

STS became ST. STS2 became STS.

EricM
EricM Dork
4/29/11 8:07 a.m.
Gimp wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Are 2 seat cars legal in STS? I thought there was another ST? class for them.
You're living in the past, man.... STS became ST. STS2 became STS.

Wither STR?

Soma007
Soma007 Reader
4/29/11 8:08 a.m.

Lets get some stuff straight. First, unless you've changed it no NA 1.8 Miata came with a 4.30 diff. Only the 1.6's had them. Its not legal in STS to change the final drive ratio. That alone would put you into CSP.

Second any LSD other than the factory viscous unit found in the 1.6 cars is also not legal for STS. If you have a factory Torsen then you could run STR except for that final drive change.

If what you said is accurate then as it sits your car is a CSP (and a very underprepared one).

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
4/29/11 1:02 p.m.

hm, well i am wrong on the rear gear then. also PPE is short for popular equipment package, which one of them features is the lsd. so for me it was a factory option in my car. also if my car is in csp berkeley that then i won't do E36 M3 since i am not gonna piss my money away until i buy more parts.but now i'll have to talk to my friend and make sure i am in the right class to begin with since i know i found my car last event was in e stock.

(where i got the rear gear info was someplace on miata.net, which it was a 1.8l car that knew he had a 4.30 at least assuming he knew he had one since thats what he was claiming.but all my mph vs rpm matched up to him.)

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
4/29/11 1:03 p.m.

(crap clicked send too soon and you can't edit?) but i am keeping my car for awhile hopefully since it will be getting a nice v8 if all goes well :)

Soma007
Soma007 Reader
4/29/11 1:12 p.m.

If the car still has the factory rear diff ratio in it (4.10) then you could run in STR instead of CSP.

STS would only be an option if you still have the 4.10 gears and an open diff.

Either way you're going to be at a big disadvantage on those no name tires. I'd make them first on your upgrade list.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/11 1:18 p.m.
weemanch wrote: (crap clicked send too soon and you can't edit?) but i am keeping my car for awhile hopefully since it will be getting a nice v8 if all goes well :)

You should see edit and delete buttons in the upper right hand area of each of your posts.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
4/30/11 1:51 a.m.
ransom wrote:
weemanch wrote: (crap clicked send too soon and you can't edit?) but i am keeping my car for awhile hopefully since it will be getting a nice v8 if all goes well :)
You should see edit and delete buttons in the upper right hand area of each of your posts.

okay thank you, this "forum" is a little different then most. also ya it still has the factory ratios as far as i am aware of which its possible that said guy on miata.net was wrong.so how much will i be getting my ass handed to me in str?also what else are more upgrades i can do to get me competitive in my new class, but yet not make buying something twice?also wheels and tires are on buy list.

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
4/30/11 7:30 a.m.
weemanch wrote: hm, well i am wrong on the rear gear then. also PPE is short for popular equipment package, which one of them features is the lsd. so for me it was a factory option in my car.

If you have the PPE, you can run the car in STR

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
4/30/11 2:58 p.m.
skrzastek wrote:
weemanch wrote: hm, well i am wrong on the rear gear then. also PPE is short for popular equipment package, which one of them features is the lsd. so for me it was a factory option in my car.

yes i have the ppe also my friend was saying for are area that the str is a faster class?i'll probably just email a chairman and see if they can help me real fast.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
4/30/11 5:53 p.m.
weemanch wrote:
skrzastek wrote:
yes i have the ppe also my friend was saying for are area that the str is a faster class?i'll probably just email a chairman and see if they can help me real fast.

Yeah, STR's faster. You're gonna see guys with Honda S2000s & stuff.

http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=3&news=3629

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
4/30/11 6:52 p.m.

welp i am SOL, on trying to be competitve then.l cause i know this past event str was a difference of like 4 seconds between me and a friends car running in str.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
4/30/11 8:59 p.m.
EricM wrote:
Gimp wrote:
You're living in the past, man.... STS became ST. STS2 became STS.
Wither STR?

Faster 2-seaters. Honda S2000, BMW Z3/Z4 etc. Guy's got a legitimate question..going to STR with a Miata that hasn't been breathed on a lil' bit (or without enough experience to have a bunch of Nat'l wins) is gonna hurt.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
5/1/11 5:19 a.m.

well if i am going to be stuck in str what are some mods i can do to at least have a fighting chance?

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
5/1/11 6:47 a.m.

as others have said, by far the largest impact you could make are some dedicated wheels and tires. I think (check the solo rulebook, or someone here can tell you) the widest wheels ard tires you can run are a 7.5" wheel, and a 255mm tire for STR. After that, I'd say anti-roll bars for both axles. After that, whatever legal engine bolt ons will get you the most power, but you'd have to ask the miata-ites what would be best for that.

Looking at some past national tour results, your miata has shown quite well. It may never win a national championship, but with the right mods and driving it should be very competitive just about anywhere else.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
5/1/11 2:27 p.m.

the main thing is i dont wanna spend X amount of dollars on a part/parts and have to replace them when i got to a v8 and i am being dead serious on going with a v8 swap. my car maybe down for a while but yea i am fine with that.

keethrax
keethrax Reader
5/1/11 4:09 p.m.
weemanch wrote: the main thing is i dont wanna spend X amount of dollars on a part/parts and have to replace them when i got to a v8 and i am being dead serious on going with a v8 swap. my car maybe down for a while but yea i am fine with that.

Seems like your worrying about two non-compatible things at once. The killer of many a fun car.

I mean, let's thikn about this...

What performance related subsystems do you thing aren't going to be replaced in a a V8 swap? It seems to me that just about anything you'd care to name that would help you now is going to get axed if you do do a swap. So you have to ask yourself:

1) How serious am I about the swap in future?

and

2) Is being competitive now worth it?

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
5/1/11 5:17 p.m.

who's that, seriously?

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/1/11 5:37 p.m.

In reply to racinginc215:

I haven't seen any anti-semitic or anti-woman rants yet. Is it the car?

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
5/1/11 6:50 p.m.

DJHives was a recent flash in the pan on the forum. He came in commenting on all things miata, made a huge mess of things, made everybody mad, and was banned like, two days after he showed up. Forgive the fellow who mentioned it, i'm sure you're not a troll, everyone here is just a little bit jumpy of late.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DlQiXikuVPkdk1JKwQjz3Qjy5BVaDIUngNla0hGOgOn1IrOrHGfapt2UsduqYSPz