1 2
wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
5/19/08 7:22 p.m.

I've thought that putting a GN engine into a Vega or Chevette would make an awsome drag car. :twisted: Pinto would work too. Something small, light & RWD. Ooh, I know.... an early RX7.

ww
ww Dork
5/19/08 11:16 p.m.

Ooh! I definitely like the first gen RX-7 idea. That would be awesome!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
5/19/08 11:50 p.m.

I think theres actually a support issue for the input shaft of the manual trans. (Maybe its the other way around and the rear of the crank cant handle the load of a clutch?)
Either way im just repeating stuff I read waaaay to long ago to remember correctly. Might be worth a little research though.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/08 12:22 a.m.

If for some reason the crank wasn't drilled for a pilot bushing(it's a long time since since I've seen one) it is a fairly simple operation. As for the G body buick wagon, it's called the Century.

Sofa King
Sofa King New Reader
5/20/08 8:35 a.m.

There are two guys in Cleveland with them in 2nd gen RX7 bodies. One a coupe and the other a convertible. The coupe runs 11.5, the convertible has gone 10.2 in the quarter, and neither makes enough noise to turn your head if it drove by!! Both are reliable enough to be daily driven.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/20/08 3:03 p.m.

G body wagon!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
5/22/08 1:24 p.m.
Duke wrote: [edit] And I think that anyone who is suggesting it get swapped into something that already has a titanic engine bay (that would easily accept a blown BBC) is perhaps lost the plot a little.

Well...when you put it that way... . . . . .

No...I still say a bolt-in, same-platform swap could be fun!

Clem

Darn! Now you've got me cruising craigshelper and ebay for blowers!

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
5/22/08 2:12 p.m.

Vega, VW bug, Mini, 510, one of those old baby Honda's

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/22/08 5:46 p.m.

I vote for the second-gen RX-7. You should be able to find a rolling chassis for dirt cheap, and it would be different enough to be fun....and probably raise a few eyebrows from both the rotary camp and the only-engine-worth-swapping-is-a-smallblock V-8 crowd. :twisted:

Deviant
Deviant None
5/22/08 6:03 p.m.

I like the El Camino idea, or maybe an older S10, or give it to me.

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
5/22/08 8:30 p.m.

a fiero should be cake.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/22/08 11:24 p.m.

Give it to me. I'll put it in a Yugo. :omg:

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/08 11:46 p.m.

Locost.

MitchellC
MitchellC New Reader
5/23/08 1:12 a.m.
Sofa King wrote: neither makes enough noise to turn your head if it drove by!! Both are reliable enough to be daily driven.

In my BIL's GN, when he opened up the exhaust dump valve before the mufflers, you could definitely hear it driving by. It sounded best on hard acceleration when the turbo was spooling up at low RPM.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/23/08 2:12 a.m.

They fit nicely in type 2 VWs (buses)

Ford Maverick or Pinto

chevette

an E30 with a wasted engine

30's ford A or T rod.

chevy luv

toyota hilux

studebaker champ

This RX7: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/car/688026708.html

weld up a subframe, use an FWD tranny and stick it in the back of this beetle: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/car/685610495.html

64 chevelle roller: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/car/684906826.html

a fox body with no motor/tranny: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/car/684274521.html

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
5/23/08 12:49 p.m.

F-Body

The 1988 Firebird Indy Pace Car had the GNX motor in it, as I recall. I had a friend that had one setup for track days with MCSCC...it would walk ZR1 Corvettes between turn 7 and 1 at BHF.

I'd put it into a no option, "lightweight" Gen4 v6 Camaro or Firebird. Cheap to get, and plenty of inexpensive aftermarket to support the extra HP.

...or go the other way and do a Gen2 F-body--prefer an older one with the flat back windows...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zOndIcrxORDJcTPNs8a7MUGcyGtpMTOhdMrjlsM9Tj58k9S0ZGHHG2f7p1lFpNsC